News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RavenSteele - Parth

Started by RavenSteele, August 16, 2014, 07:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavenSteele

Ok, hard map experiment two underway.  I chose mountains on a large map, harsh weather, disasters, and hard starting conditions.  I also decided to use only coal for heating, only steel tools (other than initial stock of iron tools), and only stone houses.  I had to get pretty creative with my build order and the timing of my resource gathering, but I managed to survive year 2!

irrelevant

That's very nice. I even like the mine! ;)

I'll be interested to see how your plan works, and if I can steal any of your ideas. :D

@RavenSteele  btw, how much coal did your mine produce?

RedKetchup

he has 2 miners , surely not alot ^^ for the moment :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RavenSteele

@irrelevant , year one the mine produced 24 and year two 76.  For most of year one I had only 1 miner, and for most of year two I had 3 :)   I have to constantly adjust up and down to control my labor pool.  My blacksmith created 36 tools (18 coal).  The rest has been used for the houses.  Overall I've used 85 firewood and 46 coal for fuel over the first two years.  I have had 4 stone houses for little over a year.  Interestingly enough, one house still has 15 firewood left and hasn't picked up any coal.

Year 2 I had a bad winter and it really affected my food production.  It might be a coincidence but the harsh weather I think its going to require a lot more attention to my food gathering.

Also, I wouldn't normally build a gatherers hut and hunting cabin so close (because I don't want to have to move them later).  But to get the town to survive year one I had to put them as close as possible to ensure they were built as soon as possible.

RedKetchup

try to get bean seeds if you have have already, they are very good, being harvest during summer

RavenSteele

End of Year 4.  Got my trading post built, a school, and a fishing dock.

I monitored my fuel usage for the last two years.  First, firewood and coal are used up at the exact same rate.  Second, I noticed that fuel is only consumed if the temp drops below 50.  During year 3, the temperature was more consistently below 50 and I used up 18 units of fuel per house.  During year 4, the temp wasn't so consistent and I used only 17 units of fuel per house.  However, year 4 saw much lower drops in temp, as low as 13 degrees.  This didn't seem to affect fuel usage, BUT I did noticed that my gathering was seriously lower than the previous year.  On the flip side, my hunters collected almost double what they did the previous year.  This seemed to be consistent with years 1 and 2, where milder winter was better for gathering but the harder winter was better for hunting.

Also, its been over a year since I built my tp and a trader has not yet arrived.  I really hope I'm not experiencing the "trading post on a lake" glitch :/

@RedKetchup If I can get a trader to show up I'll buy beans as soon as possible :)   Hard staring conditions gives you nothing so it may be a while before I get enough in trade to get any seeds or livestock.

RedKetchup

try to plan thing to sell for it. usually they take 625 firwood for it, but since you dont make any... i dunno how many coal you need to stack up for this.

RavenSteele

It would be around 520 coal (coal sells at 6).  I also have a bit of leather and steel tool surplus I can use.  I gotta stay away from iron tools for now because they use up way too much iron and logs, which I need for building.

RedKetchup

it was a friendly reminder :) keep it up :)

RavenSteele

Thanks :)  This is definitely a different experience.  Things go so much slower on these conditions!

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 17, 2014, 12:09:42 PM
try to get bean seeds if you have have already, they are very good, being harvest during summer

Beans are great, but because they get planted so early they can get zapped by a late frost in the Early Spring. I've lost a half of a field of beans before.

And if traders are being stubborn don't forget the save and reload trick. If you save before the merchant arrives at the dock (not just before, but in sight) you can reload and get a different merchant and/or a different selection. Sometimes you have to do a number of reloads, but eventually corn or beans show up. Is it cheating? I could go into a long abstract discussion of the definition of "cheating," but right now I need bean seeds.

RavenSteele

On year 10 now.  I've somehow managed not to kill anybody yet :)  but I have had two old age deaths.  The coal seems to be working just fine and its nice not having firewood suck down all my logs.  Food has been a real challenge until recently because of the weather.  I've only got 5 educated citizens but they have helped tremendously!

Oh and a trader did finally show up.  3 so far actually. The first one was a food merchant, second was a resource merchant, and the third was a seed and food merchant.  He didn't have any seeds on him but I put in an order.  I didn't know about the save and reload "feature" lol.  I might have to try it out if I get stiffed again.

RavenSteele

My entire settlement failed by the end if year 11.  Can anybody guess why from the image in the previous post?  ;)

I went back to a year 7 save and fixed the issue.  And I should have known better :)

irrelevant

Did you run out of babies? ;)

RavenSteele

Yep that was the reason!  I was so focused on food and my layout I wasn't paying attention to my population aging.  Itwas actually a pretty easy fix and helped me with my labor shortages.