News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The perpetual flowerchild commune challenge

Started by kee, March 02, 2015, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: Brugle on March 16, 2015, 09:31:41 AM
@irrelevant I just ran some simple tests.  A school is not immediately staffed if a teacher is added then the school is set to work, but is immediately staffed if the school is set to work then a teacher is added.  I modified reply #28 so its procedure should work.

I've noticed that fields work the same way, so the principle may be universal.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 16, 2015, 09:39:34 AM
Quote from: Brugle on March 16, 2015, 09:31:41 AM
@irrelevant I just ran some simple tests.  A school is not immediately staffed if a teacher is added then the school is set to work, but is immediately staffed if the school is set to work then a teacher is added.  I modified reply #28 so its procedure should work.

I've noticed that fields work the same way, so the principle may be universal.
Yep, all production structures work the same way, click "work," then assign staff.

salamander

Seems like you're looking for an extra number of schools equal to the number you actually need.  Do you think this would work with fewer than that 2x number of schools?

irrelevant

salamander

That's kind of where I am on this.  It's a great idea ... keeping the students in the closest school ... but I don't see a practical way to do it.  If you go in a 'circle' closing each school, and then the next, followed by opening the original, etc... there's always going to be some students that never attend the school closest to them.  The alternative, having twice as many schools as you need doesn't seem practical as far as resources.  @Nilla's having schools in a central location may be the best solution.

Brugle

Quote from: salamander on March 16, 2015, 11:28:12 AM
Seems like you're looking for an extra number of schools equal to the number you actually need.  Do you think this would work with fewer than that 2x number of schools?
Fewer schools may be needed.  irrelevant's Bugtussle has 8 villages, each with a school, but only 106 students.  To use this procedure, the schools would increase from 8 to 14.

Depending on the extra school placement, a more complex procedure might allow fewer extra schools.  Assume that the extra schools are placed so that for every student, either the closest or second closest school is an extra school.  For example, say that Bugtussle has 4 pairs of villages, with each pair a long distance from any other pair.  In that case, building an extra school between the villages in each pair would satisfy the assumption, with 4 extra schools.  Then the procedure is to repeat this (for each original school, open the extra schools, close the original school, open the original school, close the extra schools) until no students change places.

Bracken

I didn't do it ultra hardcore. Still can't beat @Nilla

Pop: 604 in 38 boardinghouses
98% educated
99% clothed
Disasters: 2 crop infestations, 2 orchard infestations, 1 pasture infestation, and an outbreak of mumps
5 stars
5 hearts
Mods: None

Picture 1: Southend (south half of main area)
Picture 2: Centreville (north half of main area)
Picture 3: West Village (small offshoot to west)
Picture 4: Farmington suburb (offshoot to north east)

irrelevant

Check my Bugtussle blog for the results of this test. :) Worked right good.

irrelevant

Quote from: Bracken on March 16, 2015, 04:30:56 PM
I didn't do it ultra hardcore. Still can't beat @Nilla
@Bracken good work; nice looking town! Yeah, @Nilla is a monster. ;)

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on March 16, 2015, 09:09:37 PM
@Bracken good work; nice looking town! Yeah, @Nilla is a monster. ;)

Agree on the congratulations to @Bracken but if I'm a monster what is you? You "beat" me on your second attempt, didn't you. I'm glad you did! Congratulations!

By the way; maybe I should replay my last 10 years, as well and try that ingenious "trick" with the schools. ;)

irrelevant

@Nilla I redid those last ten years for purposes of experiment and research, not for competition.  :)

Quote from: Nilla on March 17, 2015, 04:53:30 AM

By the way; maybe I should replay my last 10 years, as well and try that ingenious "trick" with the schools. ;)

That ingenious "trick" that you came up with! Do try it! I want someone else to see firsthand how tedious it was  ;D

@kee My entry in this challenge remains my original town.

Nilla

No, no it wasn't my idea. it was @rkelly17´s.

And I will not go back to that game, I only tried a joke.  ;)

kee

To be honest I'm very impressed with you all. I felt I had to play a bit as you were pitching against each other, no hardcore or anything, but even though I came up with the challenge I still haven't beaten @Nilla .
Kim Erik

kee

@Nilla Hardcore
Stat                                          Value
Population after 50 years: 620    620
Educated: 100%                        620
Happiness: 4½ star                    558
Health: 4½ harts                        558
@Demonocracy Hardcore
Population 402                           402
Educated 100%                          402
Happiness 5                               402
Health 4 1/2                              362
@irrelevant Hardcore
population  484                         484
100% educated                         484
Hapiness 4 1/2                          436
Health 4 1/2                              436
@Bracken Normal
Population  604                         604
98% educated                           592
5 stars                                      604
5 hearts                                    604

Hardcore scorecard so far: 1 Nilla, 2 irrelevant, 3 Demonocracy
Normal scorecard so far: 1 Bracken (overall score lower than Nilla)

This is the values I've seen so far- Population, percentage educated, hearts and stars were the parameters to strive for.
Population value is the total population
Education value is population X percentage educated
Stars value is population /5 (max stars) X achieved stars
Hearts value is population /5 (max hearts) X achieved hearts

Does anyone have any problems with this way of grading your efforts?

And, mpre important: Are there any more takers who haven't finished yet?
Kim Erik

Nilla

And, more important: Are there any more takers who haven't finished yet?

haven´t you seen @salamander´s blog?