News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Re: Nilla - Brockfisheck; a new medieval town - 6000 people on a medium map

Started by Nilla, June 01, 2015, 04:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Quote from: chillzz on June 07, 2015, 02:02:17 PM
actually pies was one of the ways to preserve food.. usually the meat pies and fruit/nut pies.
where one actually would only eat the filling/stuffing instead of the whole pie.
the dough was actually just a "container".

That seems very much to be "castle food". I don't think ordinary people threw away eatables. And the method for preservation, hm, I don't know, but it doesn't seem very efficient. But OK for a short period the goodies are hidden from air, animals etc.

Quote from: chillzz on June 07, 2015, 02:02:17 PM

wheat and all the other grain / grasses where actually quite common way before common era in Europe, depending on climate.

here in the lowlands it was mostly rye, wheat, spelt and the likes. nothing luxurious about it, quite the food for commons.
basic fruits like fig, apple, pear etc where quite common too, and part of the diet. Most veggies from the game however are not known to flat land / western Europe medieval bannies though!

I did check out wheat again, as I said; here in Northern Europe there were very little wheat, until the end of 1900th century. I saw a figure of less than 1% of the grain was wheat during the middle ages. Of cause wheat is an old crop (not exactly the one we know today but its ancestors) and not a luxury good in other parts of the world with milder climate and richer soils than here.

But again; it doesn't really matter; this is a computer game.

To the game; I haven't played much the last days but now finally; I've finished my canal. Are these trading ports more to your liking @RedKetchup?

What more can I say about the game? It grows fast. I don't know how long I can keep this growing speed but for now it's fine. I still have a lot of everything I need.

I have one question; These fishers on the canal, I built a lot of them, just because they look so nice. Do they catch less fish, if I put them close together?

RedKetchup

yes that is how it is intended :)

you know you can put a road on those brickwalls , people will walk faster and it will lvl down the ground :)
the only place it cannot level the ground is where is the TP , the other side of the canal, in front. i need to do something to fix that :)
but out of there, you can put a road (stone or dirt) and lvl down the ground
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

chillzz

Quote from: Nilla on June 10, 2015, 08:43:20 AM
That seems very much to be "castle food". I don't think ordinary people threw away eatables. And the method for preservation, hm, I don't know, but it doesn't seem very efficient. But OK for a short period the goodies are hidden from air, animals etc.
yes one would normally think that.however studies and archaeological findings here in the Netherlands tells otherwise. they used quite dense and salty dough (wheat + loads of salt) few inches thick, above an open fire, which would make the 'casing' inedible, but would keep the insides 'fresh'..  Over here in the Netherlands todlers and kindergarten age  sometimes play with 'bread dough' heavily salted, so the can model just like clay, but safer. don't know if they do that in Sweden too.

Quote from: Nilla on June 10, 2015, 08:43:20 AM
I did check out wheat again, as I said; here in Northern Europe there were very little wheat, until the end of 1900th century. I saw a figure of less than 1% of the grain was wheat during the middle ages. Of cause wheat is an old crop (not exactly the one we know today but its ancestors) and not a luxury good in other parts of the world with milder climate and richer soils than here.

But again; it doesn't really matter; this is a computer game.
yes yes, i agree. but as i said, depending on climate.. Here on the lowlands of western Europe, wheat was common.. so common it was used for Beer, Bread, Porridge and the likes.. from early 1600's even for Jenever/Gin. Like you said you have interest in food and it's history, same goes for me ;)

and i agree : ) It's a game. But with @RedKetchup mods, it can be almost historically accurate too ;)

i just read some about medieval use of veggies... almost none existent!
Vegetables were almost not eaten, because men said it had no nutritional value, while beans and peas were not counted as veggies.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Nilla

Quote from: chillzz on June 10, 2015, 04:31:20 PM

yes one would normally think that.however studies and archaeological findings here in the Netherlands tells otherwise. they used quite dense and salty dough (wheat + loads of salt) few inches thick, above an open fire, which would make the 'casing' inedible, but would keep the insides 'fresh'..  Over here in the Netherlands todlers and kindergarten age  sometimes play with 'bread dough' heavily salted, so the can model just like clay, but safer. don't know if they do that in Sweden too.

Yes, I know that dough, I even made some for my kids, from time to time when they were small. (I can still remember as my daughter once made a lot of small figures and put them to dry in the kitchen, as my husband came home and tried to eat one, as he thought i was marzipan :D  ;D ) . I know it also from traditional German (Middle European) kitchen, as a method of cooking, especially fish in "Salzteig".

The game is very odd. Can anyone explain this:  ???

I suddenly noticed, that many people were freezing. Very strange, because I had no work commissions far away. There were also no people locked in some space or anything else I have seen before. The "freezers" were spread all over the map, but I noticed that they were all walking towards the same place; This very special spot at this very special building !!!! As if it's the only place on the whole map, where people can get warm.  :-\ (OK, I know it's not something you like @RedKetchup, I did misuse your buildings again.  :-[  But I don't think it looks very bad)

For sure it really has something to do with this building. As I put it to demolition; the freezers went home to get warm. As I undid the demolition, it started again. I'm starting to suspect that our friend has put some punishment in his mod, that hits down on us, if we are mistreating his mods. That's the only explanation I could find. ;)

RedKetchup

yup if you missuse one of the floor ... i included a punishment :)

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 11, 2015, 02:54:23 PM
yup if you missuse one of the floor ... i included a punishment :)

:(

I don´t know if it´s a plesure or a pain to know you "bad boy geniuses"

RedKetchup

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 12, 2015, 12:45:41 PM
hehe was joking, you know, right ? ^^

right  ;D

But if you claim to be innocent; What is this? How can this happen? Has really no one a clue? I have made some further experiments:

First, as I said, I fake demolished the two "interesting" buildings. The freezers disappeared and came back as I undid the demolishing.

Than I really demolished these two buildings, and everything was fine, the whole winter, no freezers.

Next year I rebuilt them again, not exactly the same, but the same principle on the same spot and............. this building was as interesting as the first one; freezing people from all over the map went to exactly the same spot.

Finally I only demolished the third floor and the freezers disappeared. I must confess; I never really thought you were to blame @RedKetchup, because I also have more buildings like this elsewhere, not so interesting, no sightseeing marches from across the map to these places. A really strange bug. Or what? ???

What can I tell more about the game? It still works. I don't build houses for every adult anymore. That is simply a bit too much stress for me to go on that fast. So the nomads I took a little while ago is only a "punishment". I would never have taken them, if this was a "normal game"! I have extended the canal and the town grows along it, still a mixture of farming and trade, with pie and firewood as export goods, I try to slowly increase the stores. No change of strategy here.

RedKetchup

i guess it is a bug of the game because i ve got reports (i think it was on facebook and/or on colonial forum from people who dont use NMT and got exactly same problem :S

chillzz

maybe it's a feature luke build in for next version?  Vulcano hotspot or hot water geiser?  :P

but indeed, this is quite weird :O have not noticed it myself though.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

assobanana76

@Nilla
really nice this crossing of the channel with the tributary!
I have not used the Red channel but u are giving me so many ideas !!
a shame for the color of the water differs from that of vanilla ....
considered as Luke has decided not to invest more in this title .. if only decide to leave more freedom to modders helping to make this game beautiful!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

irrelevant

Great town, @Nilla!

Makes me want to start a new town.

Nilla

Thank you.

I played a little more yesterday evening and can show you a couple of pictures. It's now quite a slow game; more 1x than 2X speed. I want to have control and I don't feel comfortable if I play faster. There is enough to do, also in slow speed. The small lags have started. That's normal with my computer, after I passed 2500 inhabitans on a medium map. It's not yet annoying, but I notice them.

I haven't really decided how long I will play this game. I can see one of these endings:

1. The lags get so bad that the game is no more enjoyable
2. The map is full
3. The settlement crashes from mismanagement and starvation.
4. Or for some other reason it makes no fun anymore

If I can keep  away from 3 (no sign of that yet, but we all know it might get fast) I fear it will be the number 1.  :-\

First picture

Here is one of the other buildingsthat should have been "bugged" if it came from using the 3 storehouses in an improper way. I didn't tell you but I had no problems with freezing peoplelast night.But maybe I will rebuild that 3. floor again to see if I can reproduce the bug.

Around the hillside house you can see my latest"wool area". New pastures/pastures under construction around a textile store and some tailors.

Second picture
My latest farming area.

RedKetchup

sometime, when i see people using my medieval house floors so bad.... makes me wish to never create it :(

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 16, 2015, 11:14:44 AM
sometime, when i see people using my medieval house floors so bad.... makes me wish to never create it :(

:(  :'(
Do you really find it that bad? I think that last one looks allright. Some other of my experiments looks much worse (if that's some kind of consolation).   :-[

Besides that; hillside houses are not a modern invention. In Swedish there is a special word "Backstuga" = slope cottage for that kind of old buildings, built to save building materials and fuel. One big difference; your houses are much too nice to be considered as a "backstuga". They where for the really poor people, for those who couldn't really support themselves.

But if you are that offended by these experiments; I will stop building them (or at least not show them ;) )