News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Overland Trail -part 4- Mountain Mission Markets - Story 47

Started by Abandoned, August 31, 2019, 07:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 10

In early spring of year 10, Hannamaris, brought more cattle to our trading post.  We traded for 3 of them which was all we needed to fill Stacio's pasture.  We would soon have beef.  The new houses we built needed easier access to the food supply so we built a food market right behind them.  Farther west we built a general market and a tally tent where merchants could check the inventory records.  In front of the trade post we built a baker where corn was made into a tasty bread.  To the east of the baker another general market was built and a siesta tent where the vender could rest in the heat of the day.  The last newcomer became the vender of that general market and took up residence there in the siesta tent.  It was only big enough for 2 people.

The last newcomer had just moved into that siesta tent when another group of evacuees arrived, 16 of them.  They like the idea of staying here, learning what they could about surviving in the desert, and then returning home.  We would need a lot more houses and those houses would need firewood for cooking.  We must also insure that our food supply does not suffer.

South of the trade post and baker we built another fishing pier and another tree forester.  We added another worker to the clay pit, and temporarily stopped making clay pottery.  More patches of corn and tomatoes were planted.  By the end of the year all the newcomers had homes.  There was now beef, and a taco kitchen was up and running.

At the end of 10 years, the Mountain Missions Markets town is doing good.  The population is 108, 65 adults, 16 students, and 27 young children. There are many young people living at home that want places of their own.  But despite that, the citizens are 100% healthy and happy, but sadly only 18% are educated

Abandoned

Chapter 11

We thought to remedy the education rate by building a mission school at the west end of town.  The currant mission school was a long way for most children to go.  The adults that missed schooling are getting educated in the art of desert survival.

One young couple built a spacious hacienda where an abandoned ruin once was.  They cleared the field, irrigated it, and planted mixed vegetables.  A garden shed and workplace were built close by.  Most of the farm fields are now irrigated and in spring were planted with mixed vegetable.  We are sure to have a record good harvest this year.  The herd of cattle are also thriving.  The little light rain we've been getting has the cactus and other desert plants blooming.

Market Street is very colorful with many new houses and market tents.  In summer, several families arrived in town but they were not evacuees and they did not want to stay.  They only wanted to make a few trades at the trade post and then they were on their way back home.

By early autumn, our auxiliary Mission area at the west end of Market Street was complete with school, chapel, and clinic.  The needs of the people of Mountain Mission Markets were being served.

kid1293

You manage this very well. :)
I thought I had given you a hard scenario. The desert is relentless.
I am glad we did it separate. It is too odd to include in a mod.

Abandoned

:) Thank you, the red desert with lack of trees is not easy, after first test I decided to use Abandoned Places to set story atmosphere and I was glad I did.  :)  Mexican Fantasy V2 is challenge enough with the need for clay for buildings but a good combination.  But there again I added some housing from The Mission that did not require the clay to build.  Also glad you added the cactus fruit.  :)

Final Chapter of Mission Markets tomorrow and wagons will roll again.

Abandoned

Chapter 12

I would say, travelers, that the 2 thing mainly responsible for our success here in the drought stricken red desert are the water pump and the donkeys.  The water pump brought the water supply closer to where it is needed and the donkeys make it possible to get the water to the irrigation barrels and to the livestock. The irrigated patches and farm fields are thriving, and so are the cattle and chickens.  If we continue to get the occasional light rain maybe the farmers will want those damaged roofs repaired. The rain has certainly helped those Joshua trees grown, and the greenhouse is producing enough seedling for the river boatmen to take to other areas of the desert.  Has it really been 5 years since you arrived here with those seedlings?  We missionaries were only here 6 years before you.  And just look how the town has grown.

Now, in autumn of year 11 the population is 117, 66 adults, 18 students, and 33 children.  They are 100% happy and healthy.  Our education rate continues to improve and is now at 20%.  The only thing here that has not improved is that old abandoned farm by the pass.  And now, travelers, you're packed up and ready to head back to Smallville.  I do wish you had filled your supply wagon instead of dismantling it and taking the parts.  But as you say, traveling will be easier with the 2 oxen pulling the one storage wagon.  I know after all this time you are eager to return home.  We will miss you.

We can't thank you enough for delivering those tools, seedlings, and firewood, or for all the help you've been to us establishing the Mission Markets. 

Safe journey, traveler.

Overland Trail to be Continued.

Abandoned

Red Desert start mod with wild boar has been released - find link to download and mod info here:

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3315.0

Abandoned

kid1293

Abandoned

:) Your welcome  :)  Thanks for more wonderful mods.  :) 

So the other mods I used prevented the clay pick-up problem from being discovered.  I am glad the problem was found.

taniu

@Abandoned ;DI love reading your stories and at the same time I'm learning to build houses using beautiful surroundings.Thank you for a wonderful story :D ;D

Abandoned

:) Thank you so much @taniu for such nice words.  I am glad you enjoyed the story and Kid's new Red Desert setting.  :)

Kristahfer

Once again I spent some wonderful time following another creation of yours.

Thank You For Great Work

Can't wait for your next story concept.

Abandoned

Thank you @Kristahfer for encouraging words.  I am so glad you enjoyed the story.   :)