News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Burtrumbull - speed game, replay

Started by Nilla, March 19, 2015, 04:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I made a little Banished-brake the past couple of weeks. Didn't know if or what I want to play. I've been thinking about which game made the most fun. One of them was that insane speed game, I made some time ago, really, really fast. I blogged it: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=671.0

I played it on a medium map and didn't really plan it big. It turned out to be the biggest game, I ever made, but crashed eventually. There were no space left for expansion of the farming and  it was too bad planned to increase the trade. This seems like some "unfinished business". I want to do this once more. More or less the same, but this time plan it a bit better, to be a big, sustainable settlement.

What is the same? The mods* (picture 1), the basic strategy: enough houses, so that every girl could move out as soon as she is 10 years old.
What is different? This time a big map and a medium start (not easy), only @slink´s stocked houses from the start. This will make the start a bit slower than at the first game, but I'm sure no impact on the fun. I'm also a bit lazy, so I play disasters off this time.

*I see that @RedKetchup has balanced his bakery. The pies aren't quite as profitable as they used to be. But still profitable enough. Good!

Picture 1

Settings and mods

Picture 2, year 3

I rejected some maps before I found this one. I want a decent starting position with room for at least ½ dozen trading ports close and not a too bad over all look (not many big lakes, very much mountain...). This one looked alright, there is room for many T P, the starting position is manageable. As I saw, I had beans and corn to start with, it was done. This is the one!

picture 3, year 5

Here you can see my starting strategy: Farming and trade. This initial farming area has to move to remote areas later, to make room for export industries. I have started with 2 original trading ports. The other will be specialized.

Until I have a city hall, I keep an eye on the elder children. Homes should be ready as soon as the girls reach the age of 10. At the moment I have most young boys. I build houses for the single males, even if it takes some time to get a couple. These homes could only house 4 people, so these Levonte and Evante-guys should move out and make room for another brother or sister.

Nilla

My fast settlement grows. But I just compared it to my Doolin (first attempt) and I must say; the start is sooooo important. I am 2-3 years behind this time. The difference; I started medium with only @slink "slum houses" (the first one easy with a few normal houses at the start). In the year 19 I have reached 500 inhabitants. That's fast, I know but, if you look at Doolin, I had more than 700 inhabitants to that time: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=671.msg11901#msg11901

I`ve always known, that the start is important, but this much; it's astonishing. This makes me think about a challenge that I'm going to suggest. Like the boarding house challenge, more an experiment than a competition.  I'll write a new thread at the challenges headline.

Picture 1, year 10

Compact starting area. There are quite a few orchards. Primary I use them for logs at the beginning of the game. It's quite efficient. Plant the trees, take the farmer away, wait, harvest cherries one or two years, when you need logs, delete the orchard and harvest the trees, than start again.

Finally I have enough buildingmaterial for a city hall (under construction outside the picture right). The trading ports had priority; 2 original, 2 raw material.

Picture 2, year 15

Maybe I shouldn't show this. You people might think I am a great player, but it doesn't always look so good.  :-[

I know the reason, should have prevented it but didn´t. Maybe someone can figure it out. A small hint; consider the year 15.

Picture 3, year 19

My initial plan is executed; the farmes have to move out in the west and the original farming area is now assigned to export industries. The tool situation is under control; it took some time, but finally the nice merchants brought a load. The people also have enough clothes. It was pretty bad for a while, but after i started to import wool, it's under control.

Everything run smooth, I keep up with everything.

irrelevant

The re-doing of your starting area was very nicely done. It's interesting, the pop difference between here and Doolin.

RedKetchup

looks like you always planning a serious economy :)
lot of tavern :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Yes, @RedKetchup I must feed a lot of uneducated folks, so there must be a lot of trade. Since you have rebalanced your pies (I have no objections) There have to be much ale this time.

But I have some other problems, that I cannot explain.

Year 23, I took some nomads. Of cause, I had to build a lot of new homes. I was a little bit too eager and built too many. Suddenly, I had more homes than families. No big deal, I thought. There might be some separations, but I would soon enough need new homes, than I will fake demolish these homes and new couples will move in. So I thought.......

but no........

As I needed the new homes and started to fake demolish the houses, where the separated live. The houses stayed empty for some time, than; other separated people moved in. I thought, the problem might be, that I built many houses in new areas. So, I built new houses on different places......

..............the same........

The new houses stayed empty for some time..................

.............. than,

booom, in all empty houses, separated people moved in, at the same second. I have 100 couples needing homes, I have more than 50 houses where separated people live.  :-\ ???

I have made a restart of the game and also let it run a bit longer. No difference! Have anyone any idea, what this might be.

First picture, year 22

New farming area. Here is everything normal.

Second picture, year 23

Just took the nomads, many houses under construction. Food and supply is good.

Third picture, year 25

Here I need homes, at this point. not more than 25, but it soon became worse. I was so annoyed, that I forgot the screenshots before I stopped.  ??? :-\

RedKetchup

fake demolish the houses when familly need a new home too ? to force them to go get laid ? p ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I´ve tried every trick I know, also that, but these little morons don´t want to couple up! Maybe the nomads I took was from some "sect", that preaches chasity.  >:(

Nilla

Desperate last attempt, to solve this strange behaviour; I built 6 normal small houses. Thought it might have something to do with the 3-store houses. And yes, maybe it had, because these homes were accepted. And as they have started to move into those 6 homes, they started to like my old slum houses, too. "Normal"  :-\ :P behaviour again; the 10-15 years old moved together as soon as I fake demolished the houses with separated couples or built new 3-store houses.

But I stopped the game, don't really feel like I want to go on with it. First I don't know why this happened and if it could happen again. Second I have neglected the economy the past year or so, as I was too busy with this strange matter. And that also makes me somehow uncomfortable. These uneducated people don't forgive you any neglection. I am also way behind with the housing, more than 100 more families than homes, and this was somehow the point of the game; always more or less the same number of homes than families.