News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark's Ramblings

Started by MarkAnthony, August 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

EB's canals can supply water. you can use that water for other workplaces. otherwise yes they are decorative.
you can try this: REDs canal set

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1723.0

MarkAnthony

Thanks for the link - search gave me nothing. I was just doing my edit in my last post when you replied.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

Bah! Apparently I am one of those who gets the pink water when using Red's canal mod. I thought I used that mod before without issue but maybe not. I do have some of my game settings lowered but it's probably more likely due to my low-end computer.

I don't know for how long I can ignore the pink water; It's going to start bugging me after a bit I think in which case I would have to stop using canals and let the boat traders suffer the longer scenic routes to town.

Abandoned

There are 2 versions of the canal depending on your video card.  Check again if you are using the right one.

MarkAnthony

Will do, thanks.

EDIT: I recall seeing a mod somewhere that had a Radeon version and an Nvidia version, it was probably this one but the only download page I find for the canal set is http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=300 and it doesn't offer the version choices. 

Do you have a better link, please?

Never mind, found it.

MarkAnthony

You know something Kid? Your Settlers mod is really nice!  :)

I have a smaller than normal list of enabled mods this time too and that's nice in it's own way. The ModMan profile for my next game after work tonight is below. The two featured mods of yours is the KidSettlers and for when my town becomes more advanced the ColonialHouse and KidColonialResource. I threw in the KidOldTown and KidStoneHouseAddon mods too thinking they would blend well and it does with just a slight difference in texture but seeing how nice the KidSettlers buildings are I may not even use them.

I look forward to this game.

Thanks for making such great mods with great looks!

EDIT: Oh hey! I just noticed you changed your profile picture, cool!  8)   See... it isn't so bad showing yourself, like I did in mine!  :P   I wasn't sure if your former picture was really you or not.

kid1293

Thanks a lot, Mark! Will we see pictures?  ;)

MarkAnthony

I had two long and hard nights at work and I now have the next three days off so all I want to do is relax and that means for a relaxing game as well, so I chose the easy start with KidSettlers. The easy start also gives someone new to a mod, like myself and this one, a sneak peek as to what some of the buildings look like and that was really what I was going for.

Benedy

The six of us have been friends since we were kids so we know each other well and the one thing we all have in common is wanderlust and the thirst for adventure! There were actually seven of us once, a friend of ours named Benedy passed on when we were just teens; he was the best of us. He was never late for nothing, especially when it came to fishing and swimming in our usual hangout at a nearby pond; but we hadn't seen him for a few days. We thought maybe he had to help his Pa in the fields again, or run to market for his Mother. It wasn't uncommon for Benedy to do these things but he always made sure he was done or back in time to meet us at the pond. We finally plucked up enough nerve to go ask his Pa where Benedy has been keeping himself. His Pa wasn't overly fond of us because he felt we should be doing more work and less goof'n off at the pond so we tried to stay out of sight, out of mind where Benedy's Pa was concerned. I drew the short straw so it was up to me to ask his Pa about Benedy and when we might see him again. His Pa wasn't even able to look me in the face, his eyes welled up with tears and I never seen him in such a state as that before. He walked off without saying a word but Benedy's Ma came out of the house and told me what had happened; Benedy died of the fever four days earlier. My heart sank, I just lost my best friend.  :(

It was actually Benedy's dream to become an explorer and to travel the world over and he used to always tell us stories of what his life would be like. He always included us in his stories of adventure for Benedy never saw his life without us, we were all buddies! His dreams and wanderlust became our own for his stories were just so good and a lot of fun to listen to!

A few weeks after we learned of his passing the six of us made a pact with one another - Once each of us got married we'd set out for a new life together, somewhere up north in a place with lots of forested areas and plenty of streams and rivers for fishing, a place we knew Benedy would love for he described such places so often in vivid detail. Surely such a place would be easy enough to find!

We departed our homeland as six young men with six young and beautiful wives. It's been a slow trek for us because for all the stories Benedy told us he never actually once said how he planned and prepared for it so we didn't start off as well as we should have. We definitely weren't prepared for what was to come. We were kind of aimless too, not really knowing exactly what we were looking for, but we had an idea of it; we knew we had to keep going and that when we see it, we'll know.

Some years have passed and we're still in good spirits even though we keep moving from one place to another. We haven't given up hope yet though we are getting a bit tired of the nomadic kind of life. It hasn't been all fun and easy as Benedy always made it sound. We sure do miss him, and I bet he would have found the perfect place more easily than us by now.

Right now we have six kids between us so that's eighteen mouths to feed and we're kind of stressing about it a little bit for another winter is fast approaching and it looks like it's going to be a harsh one at that. We really need to find somewhere to settle down and fast!               

Nilla

MarkAnthony

Scofield's Township

It's been three years since we first left home and embarked on our latest adventure. At the present time it's me (Earlyle) and my wife Preslee; Alling and his wife Arelia and their three kids; Ewel and his wife Vincess; Benedy (always with us in our hearts and in spirit); Gonza and his wife Patrina and their son; Emilian and his wife Michel and then Kylar and his wife Imogenevada and their two kids. When we first decided that this was the moment to leave home it was just the twelve of us but after a couple of months on the road it was to our surprise that Kylar's wife was pregnant with their son, and Alling's wife was also expecting their daughter. These were the first children and we now had an urgency to our plans for traveling with children is no small matter.

After hearing about the pregnacies we quickly headed to the only place outside of our hometown that we knew of, it was a town Benedy and his Pa would travel to when Benedy's Pa needed to buy more cattle, a place called Scofield's Township. We stayed there for about four months until the children were born. During our stay here Ewel and Emilian decided to go on ahead of us to try and find us all a more suitable place to be, they were quickly annoyed with all of the hustle and bustle of this place. Scofield's Township was a merchant town and it was always so noisy and busy with traders and people passing through that it just didn't seem right for us - we liked the quieter and more serene settings that we were used to growing up, not a fast-paced town like Scofield's with so many strangers coming and going.

MarkAnthony

On our way again

Three years! Three years can go by in a blink of an eye, or three years can seem like forever; it all depends on how you are looking at it. It sure doesn't seem like it was that long ago that it was just the twelve of us but now we got six kids in tow as well; those three years went by very fast! Three years of searching for a new place to call home, now that's a different story! It began to seem like we'd never find a place as nice as Benedy imagined but we continued to press on regardless; it was made easier by Gonza's and Patrina's eternal optimism, always the hopeful ones those two (I think it's young love that gives them that);) Alas, I think we found the perfect spot.

Ewel and Emilian had returned a month after they departed us in Scofield's Township and told us about the possibility of a new destination. They explained how they always found themselves being chased by a storm, always finding themselves soaked to the bone. On one of those wet nights they came upon a dimly lit tavern that was off the road a spell. They spent the night there to escape the constant rain and cold. During their brief stay they had overheard some others a couple of tables away talking about a location they had seen when they were rafting down the river. I say it was the possibility of a new destination for us because none of us were really sure if it was true, and because Ewel and Emilian didn't exactly get an actual location for the place, we weren't too sure. Soon after hearing about it Ewel went to the barkeep to see if he had a map they could look at. The barkeep hesitated at first because he thought Ewel and Emilian may have been more of those greedy gold hunters that have been passing through lately but Ewel assured him they were not and that they didn't even know anything about it nor how to find gold to begin with. Ewel and Emilian studied the map over and over until the following morning; they nodded off here and there sitting next to the fireplace, those poor boys were so tired and wet who could blame them! The next morning when they finally awoke to the clatter of dishes the barkeep was gathering off the tables they took another gander once more at the map. They felt pretty good about piecing together small tidbits of info they overheard and they think they know the approximate spot on the map. When they were dry enough and it was warm enough outside to travel again they headed back to Scofield's Township to let us know about what they discovered.

We took a vote as we always do now that we are married and the near-majority of us decided to take our chances and have faith that this place, on this map, was really there! I mentioned we "took a vote" well, that wasn't always the case at least not when it was just the seven of us boys. Usually if we had to decide on something and we couldn't reach an agreement we just went with whatever Benedy thought best; Benedy just had a way about him that he could always convince us one way or another on something. Hehe, Benedy even convinced young Kylar once that his Ma and Pa found him in a bear's den when they were gathering nuts and berries and that Kylar was part bear cub, part human. That only lasted a few months though but it was still a good laugh.  ;D

A couple of months after the first two babies were born we left Scofield's Township for that area Emilian circled on the map. We were mostly excited, but at the same time we got a bit comfortable in our surroundings and not having to constantly be on the move and shelter ourselves from the weather that we were just a tiny bit hesitant as well. But we did go... as voted!

We were a couple of weeks into our newest journey but then we unfortunately had to put a delay on things as we needed to side-track our group about thirty miles in another direction. We were low on supplies and our clothes and shoes were beginning to tatter and one of the youngins' also started to get a serious cough and all that me and the rest of the boys could think of was "Benedy"!  ??? We couldn't take the chance that this child somehow caught the fever too so we desperately needed to seek out a doctor. There was no hesitation about what to do this time. We heard of a place called Bedford Village at one of our rest stops and the person who told us about the place assured us that there was a very friendly doctor there and that she would be more than happy to help us with the child. So off we went, thirty miles thatta way -->

MarkAnthony

On Approach to Bedford Village

It took us three days to travel those thirty miles to get to Bedford Village; it's hard to keep up a good pace when you have infants to tend to all the time, besides... for safety reasons we only traveled during the mid-morning to mid-afternoon hours anyhow and only when the weather was decent. Stopping at mid-afternoon gave us enough time to piece together a shanty for all of us and to gather some firewood if we weren't near any towns to stay the night at. We still had enough food to hold us over so we didn't need to try and forage for any while the sun began to set. This whole side-trip wasn't too bad though; as concerned for Alling's daughter as we all were, her cough didn't seem to be any worse so we thought that was a good sign and she kept our spirits up and we had ourselves some good laughs along the way too.

Lol, we came to this spot one day where we had to pass through a meadow and it seemed easy enough to do, right? Kylar though managed to find the one spot, probably in the whole entire meadow that had a really muddy patch of ground and he stepped in it! Leave it to him to do that. His foot sank so deep into the mud and muck that when he pulled his foot out he lost his shoe! We all died laughing!  :D He told us we couldn't continue on until he got his shoe back but we told him we couldn't wait, that we had to hurry and get to Bedford Village for the sake of the child. He didn't argue, he knew it was right. And as true as that was about us needing to get to town as soon as possible the other truth was that none of us wanted to get into the mud ourselves!  ;)

So Kylar went off to the edges of the meadow and found some fern leaves and some soft grass and made something of a shoe for himself tying it up with some strips of leather from one of the satchels he was carrying. Leave it to Kylar to keep us laughing in stiches all the time! The way he walked was like the time when we were younger and we put socks on one of the dogs we knew in the area. LOL I don't know what was funnier this shoe incident or that time when Benedy convinced him he was part bear cub. After Benedy told him that he was part bear cub a few weeks later Kylar told us he was now convinced that Benedy was right after all because Kylar explained that he was now growing fur on his body. LOL  :P We didn't have the heart to keep the joke going any more so we told him that that "fur" he was growing on his body was a normal part of a young man's life! That this was puberty the he was experiencing and not himself transforming into a bear!  ;D Lol, oh Kylar! Hard to believe lil' Kylar is married now and with a kid of his own. No worries, we'll look after them all.

MarkAnthony

Bedford Village

We got a hill to go down but it's not too steep so the women should be okay. Us boys were carrying all the supplies for most of the trip but our wives decided it would be easier for them to carry the supplies than to hold onto fussing babies! So we traded. Then we saw the decline of the hill, but we weren't about to trade back; it's easy carrying babies!  :P Alling even had the great idea of emptying out Kylar's satchel and placing Kylar's son inside it for the trip down and he'd wear it on his back freeing his hands and arms for balance on the way down. That worked, but so did those scowls the women gave us for not coming up with that idea sooner! Lol We had to keep our distance from them for a bit to let them cool down.  ::)

When we got half way down the hill Ewel and Emilian decided to race each other to the bottom; I told them that while they were doing that they could also start the search in town for this doctor lady we were told about; we don't need to waste any more time than we have already for we need to get Alling's daughter taken care of. They agreed and said they would meet up with us after they found her and that one of them would stay behind with the doctor lady so she wouldn't couldn't disappear to somewhere else. That's smart! Benedy would have thought of that too.

After about fifteen minutes or so when we all reached the bottom of the hill Ewel came back and got us and led us to the doctor's place of business. I think we were expecting more of an official looking building than what we saw; what we saw looked just like a normal house! I'm beginning to have my doubts now but at the same time I'm praying that she can help us.

She came out with some wet towels for us to freshen ourselves up a bit with and also a silver tray of some good ole lemonade with chipped ice inside the pitcher. "My name is @Nilla" she said as she then handed around a platter of bread and cheese with some berries on the side. "One of our residents, a friend of mine even, sent word that there was a group of young families with a sick child and that they'd be headed my way so I postponed my appointments in town for a couple of days waiting to receive you."

"Thank you!" gasped Arelia, Alling's wife and mother of the sick child. "Do you really think you can help us?", Arelia asked. "Is that why you were determined to stay here and wait for us, because you knew you could?" Arelia had to wipe away some tears. Nilla came over and placed her hand on Arelia's shoulder and told her not to fret; that she'll take the baby into her office and will do a checkup and let us know what she finds out.

Ten minutes have passed and if you were to ask Alling and Arelia, I bet they would say that was the longest ten minutes of their life! It's hard to stay positive when you are faced with something you just don't know about. How do you keep your mind from wandering and thinking of the worse case scenarios in moments like this? We all gathered around closely to Alling and Arelia trying the best we could to give them comfort as we all waited.

The room the doctor Nilla went into seemed small but we couldn't tell for sure because the doorway was blocked by a drape, for privacy I suppose. A couple minutes later Nilla called out, "Would the parents of this child please come inside." I think all of us suddenly choked on our last breath and there's no blaming Alling and Arelia for how scared they must be feeling right this moment as their eyes got really big and watery. Alling and Arelia stood up from their seats and slowly shuffled their way to the draped doorway and then entered. The rest of us gathered out here couldn't hear a damn thing that was being said and I was really starting to get anxious and upset even; I just wanted to smash something - perhaps I'll just grab this platter of remaining bread and berries and toss it to the ground in frustration of not knowing what's happening! I swear a couple of hours passed by, at least it seemed that long - but it was only about twenty minutes maybe, but it was nothing but silence this whole time!

Nilla came out first wiping her hands with a towel and Alling and Arelia followed from behind with Arelia holding the child. Their eyes were dry and I think we all saw a small hint of a smile. "All will be well.", said Nilla. "I've seen this all to often before." "I do apologize for keeping you all out here by yourselves for so long but I needed to speak with the parents alone in private to see if they knew of anything the child may be allergic too and to see if they had any aversion to my method of treatment."

"Method of treatment"?! We all looked at each other wondering what the hell she was referring to. Nilla said that she mixed up a type of cream called an "ointment" and wiped it all over the baby's chest and neck and then gave the baby a drink from a nursing bottle. Gonza's wife Patrina asked, "Gave the baby a drink of what, pray tell?"

"Oh just a little something I mixed up - just a bit of herbs and roots and leaves, and stuff like that.", Nilla said. "It works wonders! It really does. And though that ointment has a stink of it's own, you all won't be smelling it for too long, that too works really well!" - Nilla smiles.

So Kylar, a new father himself, angrily asked Nilla, "You mean you didn't give the child any real medicine? What kind of doctor are you?!" and then Kylar storms off.

"Oh, I'm not a doctor young man, you see... I'm an herbalist!" - Nilla replies.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

catty-cb

following the story with interest   :)