News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA of Cotton and Cotton Tunics

Started by slink, October 29, 2014, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

It would be kind of like casting your own LEGO blocks before each building session.

RedKetchup

i am pretty sure, if you would be in my back, behind me, and checking the screen .... 5 mins, not more, and after i would give you the computer chair.... you would find that super easy.
i swear it :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 31, 2014, 08:51:41 AM
i am pretty sure, if you would be in my back, behind me, and checking the screen .... 5 mins, not more, and after i would give you the computer chair.... you would find that super easy.
i swear it :)

Be careful. Someday, when you are least expecting it . . . .
  ;)

salamander

I may have found a possible issue with this mod that shows up when you try to deal with merchants that might be carrying cotton-related products.  After starting a new game that from the very beginning uses a lot of the mods that have recently been released, I added the cotton mod after a few game-years of play ... the point being that the cotton mod was the only one being used that was added mid-game.

Although @Mahnogard seemed to have no problem with adding the mod mid-game and having merchants deal in cotton-related products, after adding the cotton mod, I have had a problem with the game crashing when trying to open the TP screen after a merchant docks.  Not all merchants do this, and of those that do cause the game to quit, I never have a chance to see what type of merchant it is, much less what products the merchant is offering.

With so many mods currently loaded, I don't mean to pick on the cotton mod as the cause, but after several more years of play with quite a few merchants having docked, I've never seen a merchant carrying any cotton-related products -- seeds, cotton, tunics ...., and I'm wondering if there might not be a connection between the crashes and this mod.

It seems like mods that create new inventory slots (eg, in a TP) are some of the most problematic for adding/removing mid-game.  Is it possible that the merchants carrying cotton products are causing the crash when the TP they've docked at is opened?  Could this be an effect of adding the cotton mod mid-game, despite what @Mahnogard saw?  I'd like to keep on with my current game, but if it would help with this question, I could start a new game with the cotton mod active from the start with an eye on getting TPs's constructed as soon as possible.

Mahnogard

@salamander - I moved on from that town some time ago, and I don't recall specifically whether I had any traders with cotton or tunics, but I definitely got the cottonseeds from a trader. I had no crashes. For troubleshooting purposes, I should state that I'm using @JamieIdle2.0 's True Trade Fix (http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=591.0) and have been since it was released. Don't know if that's the possible difference or not, but I haven't had a single crash in the game since I started using it.

Obviously, that doesn't mean that it's not the mod - having played lots of games with mods I know it's never that simple, unfortunately. Just trying to help rule out possibilities.

irrelevant

@salamander did one of the other mods you were using by any chance also have cotton as something you could grow or purchase?

salamander

Quote from: Mahnogard on November 07, 2014, 05:29:06 PM
@salamander - ... but I definitely got the cottonseeds from a trader. I had no crashes. For troubleshooting purposes, I should state that I'm using @JamieIdle2.0 's True Trade Fix (http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=591.0) and have been since it was released. Don't know if that's the possible difference or not, but I haven't had a single crash in the game since I started using it.
@Mahnogard -- Thanks.  So far, I've been getting the crashes on some, but not all, of the trader dockings.  But, I haven't ever seen any cotton products from merchants that didn't cause a crash even though I placed a special order with a merchant for cotton seeds.  I just wish the game crash wasn't so quick -- it might be useful to know what type of merchant is docked when the crash happens, or what goods the merchant was carrying.

I haven't tried @JamieIdle2.0's True Trade Fix yet, though it's on my to-do list.  At any rate, the trade fix mod wasn't installed/loaded when the crashes were happening.

Quote from: irrelevant on November 07, 2014, 05:38:32 PM
@salamander did one of the other mods you were using by any chance also have cotton as something you could grow or purchase?
Unless I missed something included in another mod I loaded, I think this cotton mod is the only one that included the cotton.  As I recall, @slink's cotton mod was unique for cotton at the time I downloaded it and loaded it mid-game.

slink

There was a bug that caused some trading boats to crash the game if there were too many items on their boat (for the trading post display?).  I thought that was fixed in the final released version 1.04 but I may have misunderstood what was said.

"- Trade UI now expands automatically for orders."

salamander

The fact that @Mahnogard had no problem with adding the cotton to an already started game whereas I may have (and I stress the 'may' -- I can't say for sure it was the cotton that started the problem with so many mods loaded) makes me wonder if maybe he was lucky and I wasn't.  I can give you a list of the loaded mods I was using if that would be useful, but I don't think I had that many that would have added new inventory items.  I haven't really had chance to use them all in my current game, so I can't say for sure at this point.

slink

I won't deny it was my mod, but I don't see what could have caused it other than it maybe being just one too many mods.  Apparently the game can crash due to being unable to create textures.  The specific reference was to memory usage on very large maps, but I'm pretty sure that lots of little stuff could eventually add too many textures.

irrelevant

You can track down what specific item is causing conflicts. Go into the mods list, and in one of the mods that is highlighted red, click the minus sign. It will display the mod(s) that this one is in conflict with, and if you scroll down, the specific element that is causing it will be displayed in orange or yellow.

salamander

I'll go back and check that again to be sure, but I think all the conflicts I saw were already explained -- ie, @RedKetchup's honey and the mod kit apiary honey, etc... -- with one mod technically conflicting with, but really just replacing, another.

@slink -- the cotton mod seems pretty straightforward, and at this point I'm guessing that my crashing problem has more to do with the specifics of my particular game interacting with the cotton mod, which @Mahnogard's game might not have done, than the mod itself.  When I have a chance, I'll restart the same map and try to reproduce the town as similarly as possible to what I have now, but with cotton added from the very start instead of being added in the middle of the game.

JamieIdle2.0

@salamander mods aren't meant to be loaded in pre-existing games. Anytime one is it has the potential to cause crashes. You need to update to the latest version of the game, which fixes the trade crashes and supercedes my True Trade Fix. My fix is now obsolete.

Once you have the latest version of the game. Demolition and rebuild your Trade Ports. That should resolve the crashes.

salamander

I can't argue with your point about not adding mods mid-game.  I was hoping I would be able to get away with it this time since it seemed to work for @Mahnogard.  I'm pretty sure I had at least one TP already built when the cotton mod was added ... maybe @Mahnogard didn't have any yet?  I've started the same map again and tried to build as closely as possible to the original except with the cotton mod added from the start.  So far so good, but I'm still only a few years in and have only a few merchants so far.

I'm curious, though, about why demolishing and rebuilding the TP's might solve the problem.  Do you think it's the inventories that are messed up in TP's built before the mod was added?

slink

The trading posts already in the game may retain the old coding, which was can cause crashes if too many new items show up in one boat.

Many mods can be added to a saved game.  It all depends on what is changed or added.  Adding a completely new building or item to a saved game shouldn't hurt anything.  Changing a building or item may cause a crash, but it depends at least in part on whether you have already built one or are using them.  I know that increasing the material requirements for a building causes the building requirement panel to reappear over finished examples, and it never gets "finished" again because it was already finished.