News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Open Sourcing Mod Files

Started by JamieIdle2.0, November 15, 2014, 04:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieIdle2.0

I would really love to see a open source repository for mod files and see more modders opening up their source files for others to use. As it is people are creating mods that are large and include many things users don't want. Opening up the source files would let other modders create derivative mods that fit more closely the play styles of various players.

slink

So would I, but then you have the problem of some people packaging up other people's work and claiming it for their own.  I won't even use some small mods because things have been arranged in a manner that I dislike.  Of course, I seldom even play any more because I am building mods for my gaming entertainment.   ;D

salamander

I'd like to see something similar, but with an eye toward it being a learning resource for folks wanting to get into modding for themselves, I'm thinking more in the tutorial line than just a collection of code.  With code alone, unless the changes are well-documented, it would be difficult to piece together what's going on.  But, tutorials like @slink's original How To... topics show both the code changes and give the reasons for them.  Personally, I found those topics very useful.

I realize writing a tutorial is a big time commitment when there are more fun things to do, which is probably one of the reasons there aren't more of them.

salamander

Quote from: slink on November 15, 2014, 06:12:16 PM
Of course, I seldom even play any more because I am building mods for my gaming entertainment.   ;D

With your pricey new toy, here's hoping you get a lot of enjoyment from the modeling.  ;)

slink

Quote from: salamander on November 16, 2014, 05:11:31 AM
Of course, I seldom even play any more because I am building mods for my gaming entertainment.   ;D

With your pricey new toy, here's hoping you get a lot of enjoyment from the modeling.  ;)

Well, let's say I am a lot less frustrated than I was before I bought the $40 book that took the place of the non-existent manual.   ;D

rkelly17

So would I, but then you have the problem of some people packaging up other people's work and claiming it for their own.  I won't even use some small mods because things have been arranged in a manner that I dislike.  Of course, I seldom even play any more because I am building mods for my gaming entertainment.   ;D

Is there a commenting mechanism in the files? Could one use comments to put a credit line in?

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 17, 2014, 07:35:20 AM

Is there a commenting mechanism in the files? Could one use comments to put a credit line in?

It's a simple text file, so anything one person puts in, another person can take out.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 17, 2014, 08:18:12 AM
It's a simple text file, so anything one person puts in, another person can take out.

Thus your initials in the snow?

;D

slink

salamander

Much harder to clean up future lemonade snowcones, than to hit 'delete' on the keyboard.