News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Looking To Upgrade Computer - Your Opinions Appreciated

Started by Kristahfer, March 28, 2021, 11:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblin Girl

I'm retired now, but my organization had over 500 Dell desktops and about 100 laptops.  They were workhorses and if *anything at all* went wrong, Dell paid to send a technician to repair or replace the machine within 24 hours.  But, all of those machines were on a five year replacement cycle, so Dell was making a heck of a lot of money off us. They gave us top of the line service, because they wanted to keep on making that money.  They'd even sell business model machines to staff using the organization's discount.  Anyone who has access to that program would be wise to take advantage of it...of course they're not gaming machines so while they'd probably be fine for Banished, if you play AAA games, go elsewhere.

Kristahfer

I can not thank you all enough. Your responses and advice is exactly what I was looking for.

Currently I have 478 mods in my WinData folder of which 225 are enabled. I realize that is what the slow down is. I love mods, and really like the wonderful array of choices I have available. Since I can not in any way shape of form even come close to the art work that you all post, nor really create a functional group of villages on a medium map, my game style is rudimentary at best. I enjoy seeing what will work together.

I choose the Dell because I am able to get that one at a discounted cost.

Further evaluation is now in store using the responses and advice received.

Thanks To All Of You,
Kristahfer

purringcat

I have a Dell Alienware with 64mb of ram and you'll love it.   Run Banished with RK & the Megamod, plus many other mods, and it loads in less than two minutes.    Good choice

Goblin Girl

Quote from: purringcat on April 06, 2021, 08:05:52 AM
I have a Dell Alienware with 64mb of ram and you'll love it.   Run Banished with RK & the Megamod, plus many other mods, and it loads in less than two minutes.    Good choice

Is your Alienware a desktop or laptop?  I owned one years ago, and while it was a powerful machine for the time, it wasn't well made.  I had lots of problems that required service.  I'm glad to hear their machines are more reliable now.

theonlywanderer

Liquid cooling is only needed if you overclock.  A good air cooler will handle stock I9 just fine.

Goblin Girl

Quote from: theonlywanderer on April 06, 2021, 11:19:14 AM
Liquid cooling is only needed if you overclock.  A good air cooler will handle stock I9 just fine.

I might not understand what that means.  I know my machine runs hot after hours of gaming, and I assume the liquid cooling is keeping the CPU chip cooler than if I didn't have it. 

theonlywanderer

Overclocking involves increasing the CPU's clock rate, running it at a higher speed than it was designed to run.   It can get pretty involved and the more you overclock the hotter a CPU gets.

There are plenty of Air Coolers that will handle a stock I9 just fine even while gaming so an I7 is no problem for air cooling.

Liquid cooling can be a step up for higher level gamers playing titles that really stress a computer and they play for long periods of time. 

The average gamer out there doesn't even use an I9, it's overkill, you will find more I5 and I7 gaming rigs.  I9's tend to be used by enthusiasts.

My main consideration within this thread is that a high end enthusiast level gamer would have no need to ask for PC advice within a Banished forum.  Therefore, the advice needs to remain within that context.    Clearly Kristahfer is just looking for a middle of the line gaming rig, not some expensive high end enthusiast level gaming rig.

TheOtherMicheal

I tend to agree. There's plenty of computer cases you can buy that have better airflow and/or additional fans to deal with heat build-up and are very capable at dealing with the needs of the average gamer.
Unless you live in a region that experiences high summer temperature like I do (temps between 45 to 50 degrees Celsius - 113 to 122 Fahrenheit), liquid cooling is a good alternative for the average gamer but not necessarily a "must have" item considering the extra expense.
I would like to have liquid cooling but the case I have has served me well for the last half a decade so I don't actually need liquid cooling (it's a want item because then I wouldn't have to hear the high pitch whine of the fans when they kick into high gear during hot days!)