News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Look who dropped by for a visit

Started by salamander, November 06, 2014, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

Meet Aunt Bobo.

I ran across Aunt Bobo, well ... almost over her, yesterday while she was crossing the road.  At first I stopped just to help an older lady across the road, but it turned out to be my long-lost aunt on my mother's side.  She came home for some supper, we caught up on news, and she kindly agreed to pose for a photo (we salamanders have a thing about posing next to rulers).  Aunt Bobo's side of the family holds to the old ways, so I was surprised to see her out and about in November, but it was a pleasant surprise.  I'll be taking her back home later today; it's been a nice visit.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

I have to say, @salamander, Aunt Bobo is looking very good for an older lady out and about in November.

salamander

I gotta agree with you there.  November's late for these guys to be out -- they should snug in their burrows by now -- and the other reason I took her home overnight was her size (which is why I'm betting she's really a she).  Most sources say the usual size range is 15-25 cm, and Bobo's 20 cm, even with her body and tail a little kinked.

slink

Very cute, @salamander:)  I used to catch salamanders when I was visiting relatives in the Appalachians.  I let most of them go.  They did not make very good pets.

salamander

Pet-wise, you're right, they don't really have a lot of affection to spare.  But ... they're just so cool.  I used to collect frogs, tadpoles and salamanders to take short-term to my kids' pre-school (many years ago) for the little Pennsylvanians see what's in the woods around them.  I always released them back where they were collected after 2-3 days.

What was so neat about this one, though, is even after doing this for many years, this is the very first spotted salamander I've run across.

I can only imagine what I must have looked like jumping up and down in the middle of the road when I got close enough to see what it was.  :)

slink

It wasn't the missing affection that bothered me.  It was the mold growing on the dead animals.   :P

I also hatched frog eggs and eventually released the grown frogs.  I always felt a little guilty doing that because they hadn't been raised in the wild and no one was going to drop bits of ground beef or live meal worms for them out there.  My mother didn't want them in the house all winter, though, so they went to a pond in autumn.  I guess at least some heron got a free meal.

salamander