News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Suggestion: Tiny Indians Theme Mod

Started by triangle, December 31, 2017, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triangle

I have been using quite a few of Kids mini theme mods and I had an idea I would like to throw out there if anyone finds some free time on their hands and likes the idea.. something for a rainy day perhaps.

I would really like to see a northern plains Indian theme mod that focuses mainly on a more simplistic survival based gameplay

---------
the map
---------
not a map with tons of trees cluttering the majority of the map that grow fast and then fall over and more of a rounded wavy flat empty plains map with small patches of trees in the corners of the map or simply a defined circled area mask dead center of the map where no trees will ever grow.

so that herds of buffalo can move from one spawn-point of the (forest corners) traveling to the opposite corners & only briefly graze for a short time while in the grassy plains, then the herd travels fast disappears and re-spawns again only once every 2-4 days.

A long period without meat keeps the player focused on herds in such the same way as planting crops in early spring so missing the opportunity to hunt could mean starvation.  as it was living in the 1800's.

so rather building a more permanent foundation by placing buildings and barns rather your main goal is to stay alive by hunting for what moves..quickly breaking down your camps, on the move following the buffalo.

I'm not sure it could be done in such a way that you could take out or hide most elements of the base game such as mines, quarries, iron tools etc..but a complete overhauled theme would be a nice challenge-change

----------
housing
----------
Tiny 2x2 size tipi  for 1 small starting family fits 2 people.
2 adults and no children.

material cost = 5 deer pelts + 3 wood

the tiny tipi is only good for building at the very start of a game to simply provide fast shelter, a place to eat, and stay warm..no children will be born unless you build and move into a medium size tipi.

medium 3x3 size tipi for 1 family fits 3 people 2 adults and 1 child
material cost = 6 deer pelts + 4 buffalo pelts + 5 wood

this is a good way to keep numbers low in the very beginning
so if you want your tribe to grow faster & have more children then
be successful at hunting and build a large tipi.

Large Tipi 4x4 size tipi

material cost = 12 deer pelts + 8 buffalo pelts + 5 wood
this is the largest family size tipi and fits 2 adults and 2 children.

--------------
crops
--------------
corn, beans, sunflowers, tobacco, pumpkins, and squash.

a gatherers mound as a place to define  an area for gathering wild rice that grows near water edges & rivers along with all other collectible wild crops & berrys etc..

Appearance wise simply make a mesh that looks something like the charburner hut but rather then the black charcoal color retexture it to a brownish so that it looks like the bent over rounded branches as the outer shell and canvas covered with a small door passage like a common sweat lodge.

--------------
cooking area
--------------

a simple stone cooking pit or spit roast for cooking roasted meats

---------------------
new animal meshes
---------------------
If a new animated buffalo mesh is asking too much then perhaps just edit & re texture the darker cows with perhaps 2 black horns to be  spawned as wild animals alongside deer and rename them buffalo.

buffalo gives you resources:
100 meat + 1 buffalo pelts.

--------
crafting
--------

a tiny 1x2 crafting stand ]_[
here you can turn hides into leather and leather into clothes and
both at the same place!

1 deer pelt can be processed into 2 leathers.
1 buffalo pelt can be processed into 8 leathers.

you can make 1x buckskin war shirt from 2 leathers + 1 deer pelt
you can make 1x furpelt coat from 4 leathers + 1 buffalo pelt

-----------
tools
-----------

I'm not sure who made the questionable animation that takes place when a hunter kills a deer but I'm guessing since I have not yet seen any other mods that even attempts a fix by adding a pointed stick animation + fires a simple gunshot sound so a bow & spear animation are probably pointless wishful thinking..

Anyone can feel free to add , comment , suggest any ideas!

brads3

you do have some interesting ideas. not sure some of it is possable with the game coding though. what i do as far as bison is use the thatch<Nat Div> mod and the fodder mod to make meadows.then use CC decorations to add animals here and there in or near it.a trapper from the pine mod keeps the foxes and rabbits in check and RED's lookout tower does the main hunting. the CC frontier modular does have some indians teepees and huts.the tower hunter does find bison and bears and ducks or pheasants randomly.it is different outputs from year to year.you also have the quick hunter from TOM that lets the hunter follow the herds and get more deer than the standard hunter.

the indians are considering doing a war dance and protesting since KID made the wild west town and now the new fort pieces. they still have no turkeys and want a medicine man tent or hut too.need a place to make tomahauks or bows and arrows either. do we want to add feathers and make survival coats and headdresses too?

triangle

Hi brad,

Quoteyou do have some interesting ideas. not sure some of it is possible with the game coding though.

what I am hoping for here is for an experienced moder with some free time on their hands, and likes the idea..

sometimes some clever tweaking of scripts in such a way that many things can be achieved doing things in different ways to get the basic concepts done.

I don't usually make mod requests as I am more of a dig into the files and figure it out myself type of person, unfortunately.. lately I just don't have the free time on my hands to start sifting threw tutorial examples how to build my own mods, learn tags, edit scripts, etc.. using banishedkit.

on a positive note:
I have had some experience in low polygon 3D modeling & Texturing so if I am required to at the very least contribute some models to the cause that part ..I can & will Gladly Do! 

All I need to know is what format to export the meshes and who or where to send them to.  :)

Quotewhat i do as far as bison is use the thatch<Nat Div> mod..

This is what I wanted to avoid completely.. I tried a few of the
mega mods and deleted them almost immediately as they are mostly made to be exclusively used by themselves to be used and not in conjunction with other mods by mod authors design..

example: The North Mod which I really like but cant use because it spits out errors after creating a certain resource that can't be stored.. so I had to disable it as I can't edit/fix/decompile source files and make compatible..

I guess that's considered a nono by design so all you can do is try and locate the mod author who is willing to help   ..ehrm  ..good luck!

also mods like CC are not usually compatible with other simpler mods that I really like to use not to mention cause me a-Lot of lag + way to complex for me to care about getting into using.

what I was hoping for with the Tiny Indian theme is a simple icon group
such as the way kid/Nomad did his tiny compilation of building sets.

1 button to rule them all.. heh.

Quoteyou also have the quick hunter from TOM that lets the hunter follow the herds and get more deer than the standard hunter.

yes, I also use the gohunting *simple click* mod & really LIKE that one as it eliminates hunter lodge cabin. where hunters walk past deer wandering around aimlessly doing "absolutely nothing" because they are programmed to do that.. killing like max 3 deer -per- period of time.

simple mods like that is the point I was making above as that was a clever little tweak that help simplify many things so there is no need for a big cabin that takes up a percentage of wood gathering space and at the same time eliminates the whole point of its very existence by also removing a chunk of deer population...a useless building made better.

using that gohunting mod along with the tiny garden wood shed by nomad I have so much venison meat I can't even store or trade it all after hunters go off and slaughter like 60 deer after I forget about the *gohunt click* ..come back to find the forest littered with deerskins it's still kind of funny tho..

Quotethe indians are considering doing a war dance and protesting since KID made the wild west town and now the new fort pieces. they still have no turkeys and want a medicine man tent or hut too.need a place to make tomahauks or bows and arrows either. do we want to add feathers and make survival coats and headdresses too?

If it ever gets to the point where little people are doing war dances on their tomtoms, It may be time to shut the gate and prevent a crisis..

Starve thum palefaces.. if they not starve we get scalpums!

lol

twilightbreeze

I'd really like to see some research done first, so that this mod doesn't buy into the general stereotypes most people assume about Native Americans. 

The Northern Plains was home to several different tribes. War dances, feathers, headdresses, tomahawks etc. Not all Northern Plains tribes used such, nor did all hunt buffalo, or live in teepees. Pick one tribe, please, then pay attention to what customs and styles that particular tribe used and lived as.

As a member of the Cherokee Nation here in the US, I only ask for research and sensitivity. And yes, I would play this mod if it was presented well.

I myself would prefer the term Native Americans, or even Indigenous People, as opposed to the ignorant misnomer Columbus saddled us with.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

triangle

Aho twilight..

I hope you didn't take my lil joke to heart or be offended by it..

For most of my young adult life I lived among the culture while living on the Lac du Flambeau, Chippewa-Ojibwe Reservation, and so I do understand and respect both the Native Americans + your comments..

perhaps also the main reason for this idea as in many ways I miss it =)

brads3

good points,TWILIGHT. here in the mid-atlantic states,we had the iroquois and senecas.neither lived in teepees but had longhouses. CC uses these as storage not housing.trying to mix them and find a good balance might be challenging.

wiscoke

great idea for a mod. @kid1293  did a western-mod. that mod would fit very well with a native american mod. maybe kid is interested!

I would like to suggest some things :

- a totem pole. this instead of the church.
- maybe a large campfire for a gathering place
- a shaman instead of the tradional herbalist

estherhb

Until someone creates a separate mod, there are some mods that will help you establish a Native village.  There's a separate Bison mod at BlackLiquidSoftware.com. I place these and the Horses (brown & white) and some Sheep in fenceless pastures to create the feeling that they are not "caged up"  Also, you can download the smaller Frontier mod which includes the fort (which you may or may not want to use) along with the Native pieces which includes two types of teepees, two types of wigwams, a longhouse and a totem pole. These can all be used as houses or storage. Also, in this mod Bison have replaced the Deer roaming around. Adding RedKetchup's I See Fire mod is great for campfires.  Since I'm from California, I also like using kid1293's Mission along with this.

triangle

I'm posting a pic of a small "testmodel" I am working on..

I am aware that there are building stages that load separate models as workers progress, however for now I did the finished version so I know what it should look like when built.. a simple cone of poles should be the first stage but I can do that later..

Don't be too harsh as I stated it's just a "TEST" model as I still have no idea how to add the models in myself but need something to move forward with.

kid1293

For a 'simple' model like the tipi you only need one build stage. (with poles only)

Now - I said simple but you are clearly familiar with 3D modelling to show a model so quickly.
There is a need of fresh blood :) so I recommend you learn how put the models into game.
It is a rather steep learning curve but several small steps and suddenly it feels simple.
And it is fun if you have the time to spare.

:)

RedKetchup

take care at your size.

not sure which program you used... (you will need to export to .fbx) and what are the metrics of your grid , there on the ground, usually each square you see on the grid.. are usually 10 tiles per 10 tiles (at least on 3dsMax thats 10 tiles)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

twilightbreeze

Here are the main tribes that roamed the Northern Plains:

Assiniboine
Crow
Blackfeet
Plains Cree
Plains Chippewa (Ojibwa)
Hidatsa
Arikara
Sioux/Lakota

Pick one, maybe the Chippewa/Ojibwa, since that seems to be the one Triangle is most familiar with. Study that tribe's customs and style, then base the mod off that. Please do try to avoid stereotyping with things not of that tribe, thank you.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

twilightbreeze

That is cool. The Atikamekw are from Quebec, Canada, but did speak a variation of the Cree language.

triangle

Hi kid,

Yeah, although I don't have a lot of time on my hands I guess I enjoy the game enough to start reading threw some of the tutorials.

It's been a long time since I got involved in moding anything, Last game I did work for was Scorched 3D an open source game back in 2004

but I do still remember what a pain in the ass learning xml and python scripting was so I'm not real sure at this point I am ready to dive into it.

I may be too old to be doing this..  lol

Thanks for the info about the model stage.. I'll go do a search for some tutorial examples.

:D