News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Work In Progress: DS Storage

Started by Discrepancy, June 13, 2016, 12:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

So with enough build stages you get a cinema? :)

you've got me thinking now!

Hope I didn't mess something up!  ;D

Herrbear

Very nice looking shack and integration with kid1293 mod.  Thank you.

Discrepancy

Well I've been able to spend some time today trying again at texturing the Town Tithe Barn. I'm still not happy with it. Still don't particularly like the stone or the roof textures, too blurry and not matching.
Anyway a sneak peak ... you don't get to see the 12 build stages yet/or the version with the doors open either.

As you can see it is a very large building.

I have to redo the AO image as it is causing issues with strange shadows and snow in winter.
I'll also up the image to 2048pix from 1024 to have better looking textures, it is a large canvas in game.

Thoughts on stone / roof textures? or about the barn in general?

Tom Sawyer

What I can see in the pictures looks very good. I like your stone wall texture. Looks medieval and somehow gloomy. The lantern is great. I would make it a bit smaller and hang lower. So that anyone can use it.

If the texture is too blurry try to use a sharp painting filter before you enlarge the image. I use selective sharp painting with about 50% for the most textures. I have a german version of CS3. Can not explain the right way with your photoshop. The wall is not too blurry, the roof maybe.

To me it looks like a church. What is a Tithe Barn? And do you have a historical model for the building?

Discrepancy

from wikipedia:

'A tithe barn was a type of barn used in much of northern Europe in the Middle Ages for storing rents and tithes — one tenth of a farm's produce which was given to the Church.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe_barn

i took inspiration from:

lots more you'll find with a google image search for 'Tithe Barn'.

You are right about the lantern. That was a late addition, I felt the walls needed something to break it up a bit, It does need to go lower and be smaller. while in blender I keep forgetting how big this model actually is in game. I thought the wagon would be too big, but by judging it next to the cows it looks about right.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Discrepancy

So I've been working on another barn,

this one is an upgrade-able barn (it can be upgraded to the larger barn behind in the shot below):

I've been spending a bit more time making the 'build' models more interesting,

there are 8 build models for each, so 16 all together, 18 models including the finished versions.

As you can see, the upgrade building 'build01' starts off by including a large portion of what was the original Town Barn:

I'll show more pictures tomorrow, minor adjustments still need to be made with a few textures, and sprites to be done and then that is another barn completed :)

.. time for sleep.

Tom Sawyer

Lol you are the master of building stages. Interesting that you implement the idea with the upgrade. I tried it with the cottage to build the porches as an upgrade. But it does not work. The build01 of the next house will only be shown after the spawned materials of the demolished house are removed and the new materials are delivered. So I canceled it. Maybe in case of your barn this effect is more acceptable.

Gatherer

Very nice. I am always on the prowl for some new barn designs.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Discrepancy

Here are some pictures of the build stages to the barn I showed earlier.

I've called it a Tudor Town Barn,

Build-able from the toolbar menu:
capacity 6000

This barn can then be rebuilt and upgraded for added storage:
10000 capacity

... and in the works is a third level upgrade...
because we all know what happens to old barns when they out live their lives as barns? ... they get converted into a house.

I'm still experimenting with textures. I've now got the roof too dark. I'd also like to lighten the wood a bit. Plus you can see the AO image is wrong as the 'snow' is thinning out near the eves when it really needs to get thicker.

:)

all the larger pictures are here:

Tudor Town Barn
build01 view1 | build01 view2
build02 view1 | build02 view2
build03 view1 | build03 view2
build04 view1 | build04 view2
build05 view1 | build05 view2
build06 view1 | build06 view2
build07 view1 | build07 view2
build08 view1 | build08 view2
Completed view1 | Completed view2

Tudor Town Barn +
build01 view1 | build01 view2
build02 view1 | build02 view2
build03 view1 | build03 view2
build04 view1 | build04 view2
build05 view1 | build05 view2
build06 view1 | build06 view2
build07 view1 | build07 view2
build08 view1 | build08 view2
Completed view1 | Completed view2

liberty152

Gordon Dry

Very nice.

So you are the trend setter, from now on a minimum of 8 build steps is hot.

Tilleen

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 29, 2016, 05:22:31 AM

... and in the works is a third level upgrade...
because we all know what happens to old barns when they out live their lives as barns? ... they get converted into a house.

Actually in my experience they get converted into a model train room. :-)

Discrepancy

Quote from: liberty152 on June 29, 2016, 07:09:16 AM
when can we download?

This I'm not sure about, I haven't set myself a deadline as of yet.
I started today to put together an outline of what I want to include in the mod as a minimum for a version 1 release, I am still a way off.

Everything still needs a lot of work, I have been jumping ship too often and doing other things in between... but then again considering where I was 1 month ago I don't think I'm going too bad.

I still have to learn more about texturing and optimizing the usage of textures. I'm trying to put too much onto one texture file, whereas because I'm making many different models in the one mod, I should be sharing texture images across models...

In regards to the question though, I may just generally keep releasing a few beta builds of the mod, though they won't have everything in them. Otherwise I might just send some of you links to do beta tests.

And in that regards, one thing I want to do tests on is the games handling of these models with many build #'s... for now I have put them all in one fbx.
for example, the completed Tudor Town Barn and its 8 build stages are on one .fbx (file size is 256kb, and the complete face count is 4,980 - this is still less than the apiary example and only two build stages), and then the upgrade is on another.
But for the Town Tithe Barn which I'm thinking of increasing the build numbers, I'm thinking it may be beneficial to have the builds on a separate .fbx file?
With that barn the builds have hugely more face counts than the finished version(I delete a lot of the framework for the final build as it isn't seen).

Quote from: Gordon Dry on June 29, 2016, 09:16:01 AM
So you are the trend setter, from now on a minimum of 8 build steps is hot.

Haha, well not all of mine will have that many :) only some...

It is funny, because I started building the builds for this barn only expecting to have 4 of them, but because I go backwards in producing them I soon found that by building the second(what is build 7), there would still need to be many, many more.

Quote from: Tilleen on June 29, 2016, 02:43:12 PM
Actually in my experience they get converted into a model train room. :-)

:) I've always wanted a model train and matching landscape. I'll just have to settle for banished landscape and RedKetchup's Choo Choo mod.

Herrbear

Kimbolton

This looks really good. I especially like the Tithe barn.

I appreciate all the work you are doing on this. Thank you. :)