News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

No nomads?

Started by irrelevant, October 20, 2014, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

That has to be something in the executable that is tied to the name of the standard market.  The code for the smaller markets is the exact same code as that for the standard market, except for the contents allowed and the graphics used.

rkelly17

Of course, right after I posted I fired up the town and nomads appeared almost instantly. As I work on new towns I'm going to test further and see what happens. I have a recollection of attracting nomads with only @slink's specialized markets, but it is very hazy and I have moved on in mod versions and can't remember exactly which town it was.

mariesalias

Unless the coding has changed/updated in the last few months, it should be possible to get Nomads without having the Marketplace. I have gotten them in the past with only the Town Hall. Maybe it was a bug though? It does seem to happen more often with the Marketplace and Trading Posts as well though.

chillzz

that really must have been a bug, since its actually all 3 buildings. (town hall, trading port and market)

the market might be in a state of being build (pause eventhough that might be a bug as well) I guess,
because I had them show up at that time (with a finished town hall and trading port)
but without a default market nomads won't show up at all, at least that is my experience.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

mariesalias

Keeping in mind I have not really had time to play for the last 2 months or so, before that I was able to get nomads with only a town hall and with a town hall and a trading post, more then once. Without a marketplace being placed down at all; early on I did not build marketplaces, so I never placed them. I have also had nomads show up without the trading post (but with a town hall and marketplace). So I don't think all three are really required. Or weren't. I have never had them show up without a town hall being built though.

I will say that it took a long time for them to show up, not the normal amount of time that you would expect with all three buildings. It is quite possible that it was a bug in the earlier versions, or the code wasn't as tight as it was meant to be. I'm working on a Mountain Men/One With Nature/Isolationist challenge currently, so I'll try building a marketplace and town hall earlier, rather then later, and see if any nomads eventually show up. I won't really have much gaming time though until after the holidays, so it'll be awhile before I see any results, one way or the other.

rkelly17

Quote from: chillzz on November 12, 2014, 07:55:39 PM
that really must have been a bug, since its actually all 3 buildings. (town hall, trading port and market)

Over the months of playing Banished many of us have discovered that things said in early developer's blogs represent preferred plans, not what actually ended up in the game.

That being said, now that I'm using @JamieIdle2.0's specialized trading posts the nomads are slow to arrive. I've reached that place in town history when the graduated workers are not coming fast enough and we need new blood. Not saying that they won't come, but they are taking their own sweet time about it if they are coming. Is there anyway of knowing whether the vanilla market and TP have something in them that is part of the, for want of a better term, "Nomad Attraction System"? Do we have any evidence of the town hall on its own activating the NAS? What has been the documented experience with the modded TPs and markets and the NAS? Inquiring minds want to know.

PS: In this town I have the town hall, one vanilla market (along with market buildings by @slink and elfecutioner/@RedKetchup) and no vanilla TPs (all by @JamieIdle2.0).

Mahnogard

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 14, 2014, 07:50:47 AMWhat has been the documented experience with the modded TPs and markets and the NAS? Inquiring minds want to know.

I do know that Elfecutioner has stated that his small vendor buildings, though based on market code, do not trigger nomads if the TP and TH are present. I do not know what his testing process was, but I assume it's based on a lot of watching and waiting plus all the people using his mod reporting the same thing. I can confirm that with TP, TH and Elfecutioner and Slink's various market-type buildings, I've seen no nomads across several towns now. They've only shown up when I've placed a vanilla market. (Some of these towns ran 40-50 years, with the TP and TH being build by year 10 or 12, so I consider that enough time to determine they weren't going to show up.)

As for modded TPs, I have no observations of my own because I've only used modded TPs in one town and it had no vanilla market. Hopefully now that Jamie's mod has been out for a little while, more people can report on that.

rkelly17

@Mahnogard, that reflects my experience, but I wasn't documenting it and didn't want to speak without concrete evidence. I'd say 40-50 years is definitive. Maybe @slink could comment from the modder's perspective.

Is the NAS part of the inaccessible code?

chillzz

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 14, 2014, 07:50:47 AM
Over the months of playing Banished many of us have discovered that things said in early developer's blogs represent preferred plans, not what actually ended up in the game.
it wasn't something I've read on the developers blog, but noticed myself in playing many hours since march.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

JamieIdle2.0

@rkelly17  oopsie, unintended side-effect of specialized trading ports and markets. Since this Specific buildings are required if you don't build one each of the Vanilla structures you wont get any nomads. This is controlled in the Townhall.rsc, which mine mod and most likely similar specialized mods do not touch.

I can build a quick mod that removes the market and trading port requirements all together. Or you can simiply build a vanilla market and trading post. My Specialized Trading Ports mod doesn't remove the vanilla ones after all.

RedKetchup

thats the code that is setting the prerequest in order to get nomads:

ImmigrationDescription immigration
{
ComponentDescription _nomad = "Template/Nomad.rsc";

int _requiredPopulation = 8;
ComponentDescription _requiredStructures
[
"Template/Market.rsc"
"Template/TradingPost.rsc"
]

as you can see you need a real Template/Market.rsc building and a real Template/TradingPost.rsc building. no substitutes allowed.
any other building acting like a market or acting like a trading post arent allowed.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

JamieIdle2.0

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=655.0

Created a new mod topic to create a fix/workaround and maybe play with the numbers.

JamieIdle2.0

Destroy your Townhall. Save then add this mod and it should work with save games without issue. Though it will work best as always with a new game.

This mod just removes the market and trading post requirements.

slink

Fantastic detective work, @JamieIdle2.0.   :)

rkelly17

Quote from: chillzz on November 14, 2014, 08:36:03 AM
Quote from: rkelly17 on November 14, 2014, 07:50:47 AM
it wasn't something I've read on the developers blog, but noticed myself in playing many hours since march.

That's a horse of a different color. Sorry for doubting.