News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A mod to make things harder.

Started by RedKetchup, December 23, 2014, 10:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

This is a Quote from a post i made in Irrelevant Blog. an idea i ve got that i m copying here and throwing it if someone want to do that ^^

quote author=RedKetchup link=http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=651.msg12393#msg12393

just got an idea about a mod making things harder (that i throw there is someone want to do that ^^)

if you turn all food TAG to only 'EDIBLE' (whatever it is : no more grain, no more fruit, no more protein, no more vegtable, etc)
it would very very bad for health of the citizens, very bad. and then, in order to get better health.... all food must be processed.

fruits need to be canned by a new building with new profession and the results would be canned peach... or canned pear... etc (or what ever the name you want to give) (or the process)*
and then, these ... canned peach would have the 'EDIBLE' tag but also 'FRUIT' tag

and then for the meat ... you can get a butcher taking care of meat  and do some ... steaks, roastbeef.... sausage.... etc.
the unprocessed meat would be only 'EDIBLE' while the steaks would be 'EDIBLE' + 'Protein' :)

so every food in the game would need to be processed to get better nutrition :)

it would also give the opportunity to have bread/cheese/muffin.... a better optimal value, for the health of your citizens, not just a trade plus value :)
the wheat would be 'edible' only, need to be milled to get flour which is 'edible' only and need to be caked into bread to get 'edible' + 'grain'
fruitcakes would receive 'edible' + 'grain' + 'fruit' tags.

ect..

that way you need more people working on the food production, less laborers doing nothing.. and maybe perhaps, you would have to choose more about which jobs you fill / and fill not ^^

*and also you would need more people working / buildings taking up alot more space.

/discuss
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Gatherer

Interesting idea.

How would that work at the start of the game? Obviously there would have to be a higher amount of food available in storage because you would have to build twice as many buildings to produce the same amount of actual food. Few bad harvests in the first decade...
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Nilla

I made an answer in @irrelevant´s blog too:

This is a wonderful idea but I think to "tag" all food as "edible" would make it easier. Look at honey. I think it is tagged edible and that means it counts as all of the food-categories, when it comes to health. If you have honey, you don't need anything else to have a full health. If you make such a mod I hope you find a way to get around this. Maybe you can "tag" all unprocessed food as something else. Clothing?? ;D

irrelevant

Interesting idea @RedKetchup. This would definitely make things dicey at the start. But then, once you had your food processors all running, you'd be right back in the land of plenty. Rather like the Adam and Eve mod, makes the start more difficult, but once you get past that, nothing is really different.

@Gatherer simply adding more food into beginning storage wouldn't help, unless you made it some kind of processed food.

solarscreen

Make herbs MUCH more necessary - in fact mandatory for survival and increase the range herbalists will roam for find herbs.

Lifespan without herbs, 40 - with herbs, 80.

That ought to make it harder!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

RedKetchup

the 'edible' tag only means 'can be eat' but has no diet property by itself. no need to add more food at start since it will be eaten as usual. the only thing at start can be tricky, the health of citizen will maybe drop a little bit faster than before cause in normal games you always have at least 1 or 2 diet tags like example:

you start with corn and cabbage : you already have 2 diet tag : grain and vegtables
and if you do a fishing dock or hunter cabin : you just added 'proteins'

and if you do a gatherer hut you just added : fruits (berries) and vegetables (shrooms, onions, roots)

you always have 2-3 diet tags from the start, with this idea you ll get none. so, the health would go down maybe a bit faster, how much ? i dont know.

Honey has 'edible' tag yes, but also all diet tag :
   RawMaterialFlags _flags = Edible | Protein | Fruit | Vegetable | Grain;

herbalist range can be modified to add range, yes. but you cannot play on age death like you said Solar. you cant do that as a moddler, you cant tell the game if you never used an herb every X time and if you are over 40 y old => you die! you cannot do that.

but still herbs would be more imporant than ever and wont probably not suffice by itself :) you would really need to get the food chain going.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on December 24, 2014, 06:07:30 AM
Interesting idea @RedKetchup. This would definitely make things dicey at the start. But then, once you had your food processors all running, you'd be right back in the land of plenty. Rather like the Adam and Eve mod, makes the start more difficult, but once you get past that, nothing is really different.

@Gatherer simply adding more food into beginning storage wouldn't help, unless you made it some kind of processed food.

like i said: at start , the only 'dicey' it brings, the health will go down a bit faster. thats the only thing.
but to get all your food processors all running require alot more work force. +50% ?? +100% ?? it is up to the moddler to define how much works and how much fast they work to process food.

but also in the general idea, we all find it silly to see all those food stocked for years without being corrupted. we all know in real life , meat need to be processed or becomes poison in 48 hrs. we were telling ourself and imagine ourself they re processing it, but you dont see it ^^.

meat were processed by different way : smoked, dried, salted or iced in winter (nordic zones)

Gatherer

I completely misunderstood, sorry.

I thought you were talking about turning all food to be only edible after processing. Now that would be challenging.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

chillzz

interesting idea, especially if it's able to combine with already existing mods/jobs like baker, butcher etc.
Salting / smoking / drying / pickling loads of new stuff / jobs to indeed make it harder.

I'm all for it :)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Trizeropz

normally i am against mods because like already said, it makes the game easier. but a mod to make it harder sounds nice. would use it:)
and the idea with the herbs is also nice. at the moment they are some useless.