BETA : New Medieval Castle : Beta v 0.2a - with Moats and Canals (0.2a bugfix)

Started by RedKetchup, May 23, 2015, 07:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen122334

I can't test at the moment as I am currently in the middle of a game, once I finish I will definitely try it out.
By the way I really am interested in this project (as I am with all your projects)

gerns

i started a new city but dont have anything to say . i'm happy with it all so far----great work red

RedKetchup

Quote from: gerns on May 26, 2015, 02:55:17 PM
i started a new city but dont have anything to say . i'm happy with it all so far----great work red

do you have a problem with the trading post ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 26, 2015, 03:06:01 AMhows going the testing? i didnt heard anything

Oh well - got to give it some time...  :)
I been trying so hard to get a handle on the new canals, I have not yet managed to do any other testing LOL

Here are two pics of a test I'm running -

As you can see, the TP is working fine, though I cannot get the trader to use the canal I made connecting the creek and the river (top right)... instead he goes far south and then enters the natural creek to reach the TP...

Here is a TP built really far away from the river...

Also works fine... though I find things a bit too tight - I might prefer if the canal water was two tiles wide...?

Anyway, these are all baby steps - I still need a lot of trials to come up with a good layout...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 26, 2015, 11:33:04 AM
have a screenshot @chillzz  ? you have put canal till to go in water and you cant add one more ?
Sure. in picture 2 you can see  the path (in white) how i 'diverted' main river in a straight canal to the lake.

and from the lake back to the main river via a moat.

in picture 3 you can see the canal joining the river.
this save file  has moat in front of the canal as i thought it wouldn't connect.   
however i couldn't have build more canal pieces.

In the meantime I did a few other tests as well..
moat (low water) and moat (high water)  from river to creek works.

canal + trading port  alongside river does work too. as you can see in picture 1.

What @drnad mentioned i did notice too.. however when building canal bridge,
i skip one, and add canal piece straight in front and back. that will work with leveling terrain/water on both sides of the bridge.

i agree with @Paeng  it could be 1 or 2 tiles more water, so the boat has some space.
anyway great mod @RedKetchup  merci bien!

Gorgeous scenes @Paeng  !

---------
Now that i think of it :
- the tests with moat low/high from river to creek and ;
- the tests with canal along river  both don't have a canal bridge.

the test with the canal not working  has several bridges before it has the tradeport.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

thanks you for this testing :) yeah probably i guess i should do it double wide. it was just cause i thought people would rather think they take too much space (double tiles) so they would not use them.

thats the pros and cons.

chillzz

no problem @RedKetchup  with mods this good i'm glad to test ;) thank you for all this awesomeness !
after some contemplating i really think it's most likely due to the canal bridge.
maybe because it doesn't dig terrain / put water by itself ?

RedKetchup

do you think i should do a straight as big as the corners/3-4ways ? and call the actual straight as a filler ? like the walls ?

chillzz

that's actually a good idea !

btw, i love how the 'cursor' actually jumps a position automatically after placing moat or canal piece.
works lovely and fast!

RedKetchup

yeah but it is always better to pause, cause sometimes citizens can work on those very very fast and the curson can slip easy when they start to work on those abd do the hole in the ground

Glenn

Red,

Were you able to check to see if having trees and rocks suspended in the air is a bug or simply what happens when you use the debug mod to build a canal without first clearing the land?

Normal use of the debug makes all the trees, rocks and iron disappear.

I agree the trading post would be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye if the canal was wider.

You may also think about another piece -- an end piece with a splayed entrance/ exit like the original root cellar -- more ' Y ' shaped

What about angled pieces to account for the type of construction shown in the above image?

RedKetchup

the canal parts are abit 'graphically' larger than the actual 'tiles'. kinda a bit of 'overlap' ™. if there is trees or rocks in that overlap part, then they wont be remove.
the crazy things comes from the fact it makes an hole in the ground but all every tiles all around are also getting terraformed in a slop. they arent a reall wall of a perfect 90 degres.

i didnt understood the Y shape one though, but i know making diagonal is possible but very hard to do, but possible.

AzemOcram

Your canals look great but I would love to see more options for width so that we can have 1-tile, 2-tile, and 3-tile width canals.

Keep up the great work!

--Ocram

Glenn

Red,

Imagine the bottom of the Y is the canal itself and the top of the Y is the entrance

It would make of a wider more inviting entrance and take into account the swing of the boat as it enters and leaves the canal.

The other reason I think a diagonal piece would be handy if that people may like to place their trading post completely inland and have both an entrance and an exit.

A right angle corner is currently possible, but a diagonal would be a very nice addition.

All my best

RedKetchup

alright, understood what you were suggesting :)

i m french so sometimes i can... be bugged lol