News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Suggestion: Tiny Indians Theme Mod

Started by triangle, December 31, 2017, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

If you need example code just tell.
The format is fbx and the models and points are scaled to 0.1 prior to save (don't apply)
I don't know what program you use. I use Blender and it is sometime a pain.... but it
costs nothing!

You are never too old for this! I will probably be modding past my retirement. :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: kid1293 on January 01, 2018, 11:17:38 AM

You are never too old for this! I will probably be modding past my retirement. :)

yeah we are kinda 3 who have started moding at our retirement here, so never too old

----------

my grandmother was a pure Atikamek, my mother half-breed, and me, a quarter breed LOL
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

twilightbreeze

I'm over 50, and I'm still modding for Sims 2. Creativity has no age limit.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

triangle

Thanks for all the support guys..
Sorry It took me so long to post any progress but there was no real progress to report,

Firstly the answer to your question Red Ketchup is I mainly use Milkshape 3D as it's Stupidly Simplistic and has like 12 buttons on it so not only is it easy to learn to use, I can spit models out very quickly. It may lack any of the polished plugins and functions 3dsmax-maya-lightwave may have but the key selling point for me is the KISS factor.. 'it's how I roll'..

@ Kid  I have had a couple days to sort things out and much credit for that is due to discrepancy and his Blender tutorial.. & Yeah, I don't like blender much either, but like you stated it's free..and I 'think' I see why now:

I had a few sudden outbursts trying to figure out its uv texturing.. and my attempts fail at understanding why there are 10 thousand microscopic buttons per square inch fighting for space.. my eyes are not very good and so my nose was touching the screen the entire time but I did manage to get most things squared away.

as you can see by the picture here the Small Tipi is NoT at all small..

+1 cookie point to goes to RedKetchup for an earlier warning to mind my scaling.

RedKetchup

hehe thats what i thought when i saw the size of the tipi inside your 3D program :)

Discrepancy

You have done really well to get where you are :)

I must update that blender tutorial, as I now do many things differently.

Here is an indispensable how-to in baking the AO (ambient occlusion) shadow maps by Necora : http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1424.msg28417#msg28417

Also a good tip made to me early on in my 3d modding excursions for rounded buildings is at the end, once you've made the model, in blender when in Edit mode, select all vertices, press Mesh - Faces - Shade Smooth (or in edit mode press W and you can select Shade Smooth). This will round off the sharp edges making it look nicer. You also do not need to do this to every surface and might look better only on some, if that is the case only select the faces you want smoothed.

triangle

Thanks Discrepancy, your tutorial is not at all bad and it wasn't an issue I was having with baking the AO texture file that was all well documented. 

you did a very good job explaining steps 1 by 1,

What I was having issues with was trying to figuring out all the proper steps to remap coordinates of the highlighted faces in the uveditor so that I could re texture the model from the top views and side views of the model.

UV Image editor was giving me slices of triangles grouped in rows & that's not useful for textures lazily pre-pasted into Photoshop.

but I figured it out:

edit mode & selecting faces first
ctrl + E to mark the seams,
then button 'view'> align view > center cursor and view all
then hover mouse in the 3d viewport and pressing U >the UV Menu popup gives you a choice to project from view.

That all drove me nuts trying to figure out so I just used milkshape and it was done in like 60 seconds.  =)

as far as your tutorial goes it was right on the money & does exactly what the tutorial says it does, it gets your model in the game and anything else falls under the catagory:

learning blender in the blender forums under
"learning how to use our 3D Software"

Thanks Again.

triangle

I have the small tipi scaled after countless import>export *re-scalings*

here is a picture of all the build stages :

-------------------------
Problems
-------------------------

1) I need to figure out how to replace the ground texture mask that is burned onto the map with an alpha blank texture as that square tiled print on the map under it looks wrong..

edit: looking threw the banishedkit examples I see the ApiaryFootprint.png and that seems to be what I need to edit,

I'm using discrepancy's tutorial source files that are all simply renamed as my template and there is no footprint.png included in those files..

Does anyone know what the filename is for the small wooden house footprint?

2) The model is Very Dark!

in blenders material tab I changed all properties to:
Diffuse intensity = 1.0
Specular intensity = 0.095
Shading Emit = 1.0
Ambient = 1.0

the baked SmallTipiAO.png texture is in the correct folder
so I don't know what's happening here but it looks bad still.

any suggestions or help is most welcomed.

Maldrick

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

the game doesnt handle the
Quotein blenders material tab I changed all properties to:
Diffuse intensity = 1.0
Specular intensity = 0.095
Shading Emit = 1.0
Ambient = 1.0

If you have to change the luminosity/colors of your texture you need to do it directly on the .png

For the footprint i suggest to pick up photoshop or like me , Gimp2.0(free) and do a 256x256 transparent  one and use a brush to paint a brown circle in the center midback of your SmallTipiFootprint.png
you can do a 128x128 or 512x512 depending how precise you want it. but those number needs to be written in your decal function in your tipi house template
float _mapWidth = 256.0;

DecalLocation _decalLocations
[
{
float _x0 = 0.0;
float _y0 = 0.0;
float _x1 = 256.0;
float _y1 = 256.0;
}
]

if you want to use Gimp2.0 here's my footprint brush .gbr (in goes inside GIMP2/share/gimp/2.0/brushes/Texture folder)

the name of your footprint is ruled by those 2 linesin your template. You decide where you put those and You decide its name:
DecalDescription decal
{
MaterialInstance _materials
[
"Models\Buildings\SmallTipi\MaterialInstance\SmallTipiFootprintMaterial.rsc"
"Models\Buildings\SmallTipi\MaterialInstance\SmallTipiFootprintDamageMaterial.rsc"
]

the footprint setup has usually 4 files:  3 x .rsc files and 1x .png file (the lines inside those need to reflect where you put your .png/.rsc files)

triangle

Thanks RedKetchup I think I get it now.

I use Photoshop, I tried gimp when I was using a linux distro once & didn't care for it much, Thanks for the effort in helping me though, I appreciate any help I get while trying to learn by example.

triangle

All fixed up except for the brightness
I can't figure out how all your models are more emissive, and crisper.

editing/cranking up the textures.png brightness levels did nothing and my model is still as pitch dark as before.

Gatherer

You should keep the footprint only visible at stages 1 and 2.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

triangle

@Gatherer that's a good suggestion but unfortunately unless you provide me with an example on exactly how to do that your request has been denied.

the other vanilla buildings don't do that so I wasn't aware that was possible.. if it is, I will gladly do so as you suggest provided you can point me in the right direction.. I'm still learning BTW ---> only day 6 @ modding this game.  =)

edit: If your sayin it looks bad.. what I can do is shrink the texture so that it's not hanging out so far & mostly hidden in the final stage.

RedKetchup

Quote from: triangle on January 07, 2018, 12:23:09 PM
@Gatherer that's a good suggestion but unfortunately unless you provide me with an example on exactly how to do that your request has been denied.

the footprint you draw and appear on the ground as soon you put the building down is there to stay forever till to destroy the house.
it is always there.

what gatherer means, you need to precisely draw your circle so once the building completed, you dont see any brown outside the house. do your brown circle so there is not a single pixel that goes further of your tipi mesh.take the eraser and delete the unwanted pixels.