News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Bald Hills: uneducated isolation, and now, toolless

Started by irrelevant, March 18, 2015, 07:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

With this town I will be challenging myself in a couple of ways.

No trade.
No education.
No vanilla markets.
Also, a pretty crappy map to start out. ;) Some promising areas to expand into however.

No big goals for pop or fast growth. Just to make the most efficient town I can make with these limitations. If the town gets big along the way, well, I can't help that.  ;)

Map

Mods - just a few, notably @Bobbi Special Doctor House, Irrelevant Tweak Crop, and @slink 's SJGL Specialized Markets.

First Moves - Since I have squash and wheat, starting out farming (ok, I'll admit it, if I hadn't gotten a grain and a veg, I would have re-rolled). Going to build a gatherer, a forester, and one wooden house the first year. The rest of the time will be spent gathering resources.

irrelevant

Year 1-5

The area I've started in is too cramped to do much early development in. My plan is to build a base here for subsistence and support, and to expand into the large open area to the northwest. Eventually there will be iron mines and quarries in the hills to the west and north.

I'm also building very sparsely at the start, to avoid the risk of a disastrous fire.

Using the SJGL markets to support a smith and a tailor, to reduce pressure on the barn, and to prepare to push out into the open. I'm building as many tools as I can while I still have an educated worker to serve as blacksmith. Same with coats to a limited extent, but there just isn't that much leather. As uneducated hunters take over, leather will increasingly become a challenge (medium start, so with no trade, I'm limited to deerhide for the duration).

Nearly 9000 food; I'll never understand why people say to avoid farming at the start. To me it's the most important first build (assuming you have seeds).

irrelevant

Nilla

I wish you luck and I'm excited to see how you go on with this BIG challenge.  :D

OK, you have your magic hunters, but you have also forgotten to tell one big challenge you made yourself, as you started this game medium. No sheep! As I played my no-trading-game. I choose a map with one vegetable, one grain, one fruit and sheep. It will not be easy later on, to get clothes only from leather with uneducated workers.

You are so right about the farming. If you have the seeds, why wait? I never understood that eather. I also start very early with some orchards. Not primary for the fruit/nuts but for wood. Let it be planted, need very little work, put it on rest for some years, harvest a year or two, cut it down when you need wood and start over. Very efficient to get wood at the start.

I also use that "trick" if I play uneducated; make as much tools as I can, as long as I have educated workers. I plan the houses, so that one original couple is closest to blacksmith and tailor (and sometimes also woodcutter but educated laborers, picking iron and stone isn't bad eather). But you have to watch out, because these just grown up 10-years-old living at home, seem to have a real affinity to the blacksmith-, tailor- and woodcutting-crafts.  :P

irrelevant

Year 15 - Progress at Bald Hills

Pushing out with forest nodes. @slink's markets are the foundation for expansion

Established a quarry and a mine.

irrelevant

Year 20

Eight forest nodes; the obvious play here is to simply continue to expand as I have been until the usable area is full, and fill in behind with blacksmiths, farms, mines, and quarries as needed.

Really enjoying this town, and the adjustments it calls for to my normal way of doing things.

Eventually there will be no more iron for tools. If I'm still interested in this town by then, I'll need to start brewing some ale and open a couple of TPs. That will be the last resort though, and many years down the road; plenty of spots for mines on this map.

@Nilla that big cushion of tools went from ~350 to under 100 in just a few years. These guys must be breaking their tools over each other's thick skulls.

Ar the same time I nearly ran out of iron. Iron/tools is where lack of education hits hardest. You need double the normal smiths, you get half as much iron as you are used to getting, and burn through it twice as fast!

Nilla

Yes, tools (and maybe also later clothes with no sheep) will be the problem here. You will need mines and quarries. And these workers need a lot of tools. I suggest you make steel tools, at least they last a bit longer. But that's too not without difficulties. I remember as I played my big isolation settlement (with education!!!!!) with a lot of mining, the problem was tools, too. I had two blacksmiths at each market. One made steel tools and the other iron tools, than I had some toolproduction even in times as the people carried the coal into their homes.

irrelevant

@Nilla Steel tools is an excellent idea, one that I shall very happily steal!  ;D

irrelevant

Year 30 - yeah, this is hard

So preoccupied with marginal stocks of tools, coats, firewood, and food that I am unable to keep up with house construction. But that's probably just as well, the last thing I need is more mouths to feed and more hearths burning firewood (and coal!)

Making steel tools requires considerable micro, switching back to iron when the coal runs out.

Had to clear out a couple of forest nodes and replace with farms, food was turning ugly.

irrelevant

Now my bottleneck is leather for coats. This is going to turn into a problem in the next year or two.

Had an interesting idea this morning. I'm going to try doubling up the hunter's cabins (building a second cabin next to the ones I already have). Theoretically this should double the amount of leather and venison I'm getting.

kee

Didn't somebody try that a while ago and found that the production didn't increase, even though the no of hunters in the circles increased?
Kim Erik

irrelevant

Not that I know about. I suspect any testing that was done was looking at adding additional hunters to existing cabins, which improves hunting only very marginally, if at all.

I don't recall seeing any testing of multiple cabins with largely overlapping circles. Based on what I have been able to deduce regarding hunting mechanics, I believe this should produce significantly better results. In any case, even if someone had tested this, I would still perform my own test, as I am the Deer Whisperer, as @Nilla can attest  ;)

Nilla

But Mr, Deervisperer; it improves the result quite a bit, if you put several hunters into the hunting cabins. If I have 3 hunters, I almost get the same result as you; an average of at least 4 deer each year, instead of normally 2. But of cause; with your super hunters it´s probably different.

Try to put several hunters together. It will probably give more than one, but less than if they all have their own area. I have never seen it with hunters, but I tried it with fishing docks once. Two fishing docks sharing the same space, gives more fish than one, but each fishing dock produced less, than if it was alone.

irrelevant

Unfortunately I'm away from my computer, so I won't be able to test this until tomorrow evening.

irrelevant

Year 42

Wow, this is tough.

Struggling mightily with iron, and therefore with tools. I figured out that uneducated farmers break tools almost as fast as miners and stonecutters, so I have cut back to one farmer per field, and shut a few fields down. I've also stopped building houses, the last thing I need is more guys. Which is too bad cause I'd like to push out farther in a couple of spots, just to have more hunting cabins.

No, my hunting cabin idea didn't work. This means that the one deer per herd per season is an absolute limit, and is not one deer per herd per season per cabin as I had hoped. So clothing is also a big problem, just barely scraping by with coats. It's a shame the dead are not stripped of clothing and tools before they are put in the ground  ;)

Also had a fire, naturally it took out a blacksmith, and two big typhus outbreaks, and three orchard infestations, all in the past 12 years. I just have one hospital; I'd like to build another but I can't spare the iron. I've noticed that the size of the iron inventory has a big impact on tool production; with 50 iron in stock I barely break even, but with 100 iron in stock I can build up a small tool surplus. YMMV with the number of smiths you have and the size of your pop.

I'm considering building a single TP, for the sole purpose of buying some sheep and maybe some tools.