News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Boats and Carts

Started by Paeng, June 27, 2014, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

* Purpose: Sending out your own trade expeditions instead of only relying on infrequent traders. You can only peddle whatever you produce in your town - a good way to supply outlying communities without the endless walks.

* Pre-requisite could be an additional profession: "Carpenter" > "Sawmill"
(USE or MODIFY: Blacksmith or Tailor shop, Trader, Settler's cart, Cow animation, Trader's boat)

* Possible needs and boni (+ for experience = Education) -
  + more effective Blacksmith (Tools > Iron, Logs, Coal, Leather > Iron fittings, Carriage)
  + more effective Tailor (Cloth > Wool, Leather > Sail, Ropes)
  + more effective Fisher (Fishing Hut > Wool, Logs > Nets=radius)
  + more effective Herder (Pastures > Logs, Stone, Iron > Animal Shelters, Hay Stacks)
  + gain a Seed
  + gain additional Luxury Goods (e.g. Salt, Sugar, Spice = for Happiness or Health boni)

* Other items (potential/optional)
  + Carpenter Shop
  + Different Boats and Carts
  + Various Props - Barrel, Fence, Fishing Net, Shelter, Hay Stack, Outhouse...

* Risks (random)
  + Hard: Losing boat/cart in a storm
  + Medium: Expedition members get sick / spread disease

In the UI it would maybe need an additional Tab in the Trade Menu (e.g 'Expeditions'), while the values of Items in Stock etc. are most probably all available from the trade menus already or could be easily expanded/amended (e.g. to add a few new items like 'Luxury Goods')...

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

@Paeng, are you thinking of sending out the merchants with specific assignments of what to bring back? For example you load the boat with 625 firewood and indicate that you want 1 wheat seed unit. Or . . . .

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 17, 2014, 02:08:12 PMare you thinking of sending out the merchants with specific assignments of what to bring back?

Well, I actually thought it to be more of a 'chance' thing... so yes, you would load your boat/ox-cart with your own goods (depending on what you produce), while at your destination you'd find a random assortment to pick from... which would mostly be the 'regular' resources, but with a  (random) chance to find rare (and/or additional) items - a seed for a low price, new items for the food chain (spices, honey, sugar, salt etc.)... or any other thing the modders will come up with  ;D

Sure, your idea (specific assignments of what to bring back) would also work - the 'chance' then being that the trip might be completely unsuccessful...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]