News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Blender Export / Import Glitch

Started by Maldrick, December 01, 2018, 07:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

I'm going in a different direction which I think may avoid this but, after about 6 hours of troubleshooting unsuccessfully, I'm really curious if anyone has seen anything like it and what the problem might be.

While getting started on my current project I finally learned how to multitexture in blender and it's worked great. Just what I was looking for before.  But I got down to the end and exported my mesh as an FBX to do the final build with build models / points and when I import it there's a weird thing that happens with one of the materials.

I made separate materials for each texture with one texture per material.  One for my doors and windows is combined.  That particular one doubles up on the texture after re-import for some reason. What's more is, if I export that, the door and window textures don't show and the plane that the door texture is on disappears.  Any combo of enabling/disabling the two textures, deleting them, or doing nothing at all makes no difference.  It's also worth noting that, once any adjustment is made, the display object with the texture on it in the materials window just disappears.

I also tried remapping those faces, reloading the textures, and completely deleting the material and starting fresh with a new one.  Same thing every time.

The initial export FBX looks perfect.  So with the second texture just appearing on import I'm assuming it's something to do with the import, but no idea what. None of the other half dozen textures are doing this.  I'm going to skip the thing I was going to do with this and just bake my textures but, exporting and re-importing being a necessary step, it would be great to know what causes this so as to avoid it in the future.

Anyone seen anything like this before?
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

kid1293

I don't recognize your problem but I have had some problems with newer Blender versions.
I use 2.77a and have no complaints.

Here is link if you need it.

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/

Maldrick

Awesome, thanks kid.  I'll give it a look for the next one or if my workaround doesn't work with this one.

So that sounds like a bug and not something I've done?  The latter always being a possibility. Lol
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

kid1293

I have 'possibly' been on the wrong path several years now.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers.

Maldrick

Haha fair enough.  If that's the case, it's definitely working!

Maldrick

Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else runs into the same issue...

So I loaded the older version of Blender @kid1293 recommended.  Did a test and was having the same issue with the texture doubling on re-import.

Apparently Blender doesn't like transparent backgrounds on texture files as that's what I was using with that particular image, being two images rather than an actual texture.  Merging the layers and deleting the non-visible elements fixed it.

Tom Sawyer

I've seen this too after re-import fbx files into Blender. I think it's not a problem since it doesn't make it bigger or something else. But I wondered why and you are right.. Saved a texture without transparent background before connecting it in Blender and as you say it avoids this double entry after re-import. Probably completely unimportant but always good to know the cause. Thanks for figuring out.

Later in mod package it doesn't influence something if with or without transparent background because texture files get compiled and the transparency is lost anyway. You can only save space in your mod folder. Also, I save and load blender files instead of re-importing fbx. It's faster and keeps all settings.

Maldrick

With the initial one, not the test, it was causing weird things with my FBX export.  The relevant textures weren't showing up in the output and was even knocking out a face for some reason.  I have no idea what the issue is and didn't go that far with the test once I saw it happening again, but very happy I know how to avoid it.

That's interesting about finalizing with blender files.  May have to try that sometime.  You just import each one, for that?

Tom Sawyer

I save my work in blend files. To feed the modkit I have to export as fbx of course. I just meant that this re-import of fbx files is actually not necessary. :)

Maldrick

Gotcha, but how do you separate your build models as different objects?  Haven't delved into that kind of thing, so was just curious.

Tom Sawyer

Ah ok, the build models I import separately from sketchup. Often as modules to combine them in different build stages and to not have to map and texture the same parts again. That's of course not always possible if you want well optimized meshes. Another way can also be to make the last stage, then to copy the finished mesh (Shift+D) and to remove parts for the stage before. To combine modules you can join the meshes with Ctrl+J.

Maldrick

Very cool. I just learned about Ctrl-J the other day. Haven't had to use it yet.  I guess it goes to say there's a way to separate them out, too.  I'll definitely have to play around with this, soon.

Thank you, Tom

kid1293

Select what you like separated and press 'p' and you get a separate mesh :)

Maldrick

Thanks, kid.  That's handy.  I'll definitely have to play around with that on the next one.  Will save some steps for sure.  Especially because I usually have to redo something or several things after exporting everything and re-importing. lol