News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Finally, an update from Luke

Started by solarscreen, February 07, 2017, 07:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nominix

Looking forward to the update. Be very nice to be to able single out each item vs the lumping together we have to do now.Much better management overall, especially when the towns get big and sprawly.

And while im thinking about it- perhaps fix the camera so we can go street level without having to hack the game. That would be awesome.

Abandoned

Regarding update from Luke: so when Banished gets updated the general statistics box that now tells population, season, weather and resource totals, logs, firewood, food, et.  which I usually keep open in the top corner of the screen, is going to be twice as big and if you don't use CC the extra spaces will be empty.   If mods are updated, then you can't use them or new mods without updating Banished.  So one could not update or download anything and just keep playing as is?

Hawk

This is just speculation so don't hold me to it.  ;D

My thoughts are that when Luke gets done it will be released as a patch, which means you would have to update Banished with the new patch to be able to use any updated mods that have utilized the new flag options.

That said, it's very possible that the CC modders will use up all the new flags, but for folks like me, that can't run the CC mod, I'm hoping other modders will still try and take advantage of the additional flags to update their mods, such as Tom Sawyer and his The North mod.
I realize that if you run the CC, it will conflict with other mods that have also taken advantage of the additional flags, but that's something that's gong on now anyway.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

brads3

the conflicts will start if we don't use the new tags somewhat the same. say CC sets 1 to a specific food and 1 to building materials. if someone mods and tags the CC food space as bricks then you will have food and bricks under that tag.instead of the bricks being under the building materials. can cause confusion to a player but my understanding is even then both mods should function. what might help the situation is if we get a crossover modder to take the tag sets from CC and make a mod that sets the tags,then new mods use the same tag list. i have more i hope luke changes or adds to help our games. i did read he is planning some graphic changes to the maps. hopefully it is sooner than later and we get much bigger maps with more abilities,better. i guess its a wait and see and be thankful we have some news.it will be interesting for the modders for sure.

Hawk

Quotei did read he is planning some graphic changes to the maps. hopefully it is sooner than later and we get much bigger maps with more abilities,better.

If you're talking about the first part of the Devlog at the Shining Rock site, I don't think that was discussion about terrain changes for Banished. The way I read it, he was talking about new games he's working on.

After that discussion he says: "Back to Banished", and then he talks about adding the more flags and limits, which leads me to think that the terrain changes he was talking about before that was about his new games.

I could be wrong though.  :-\
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

brads3

dang,so i was dreaming? we need a map like simcity 4. where we can build sections that work back and forth. say a fort here and another sections for mining and a 3rd for productions.and then we can get more terrains and tree choices in 1 map.

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

RedKetchup

yeah me too when i read i understood that was not for banished ^^

about flags, personally i was hoping maybe getting 1 or 2 so i can decide myself ....
but i know CC will take them all and i ll go for the flags they decide.

i dont want to start make versions for non-CC players and a version for CC players ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

exactly REd. that is why the talk of a discussion conference of modders. todecide how to use the tags and then the idea of a mod that labels all the tags prior to future modding, it would give clarity and uniformity both.

Gatherer

So after all this time of deliberately ignoring CC for being too big I will have to switch to CC flags and limits? Dry goods, glassware,...?

There should be some anti-monopoly law about that.

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Hawk

I know I can't run CC, MM, or NMT on my computer, but even if I could I'm not so sure I'd want to because of all the stuff in it. I prefer to pick and chose what I add to the game.
It's kind of like the NAM for SC4. It was great but for me just way too much stuff. What I did like about it was the option to chose what you wanted installed during the installation process. Unfortunately, with Banished - that's not possible. It's all or nothing.

I know I'm the new kid on the block as far as how long I've been playing Banished (I just got it last Nov.), and I'm certainly not complaining about anything the modders do. I gladly accept what they produce and am grateful for the time and effort they put into their mods.
I am not new to gaming though nor modding. I have done a bit of modding meself.  ;D
I can certainly understand that one would not to make versions for non-CC players and a version for CC players as Red stated. That makes perfect sense.
However, I think the concept of a general consortium or consensus of how the additional flags and limits be used globally would be a good idea. That way modders such as Red could just make one mod that would work with CC or without CC. Granted an individual mod may cause conflict with one of the 'everything in one package' mods, the conflict would only be a difference in - say for instance - a type of food as compared to food versus raw material.

Am I understanding this right? Am I making sense?  ;D
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

RedKetchup

in NMT what is inside would have been interested for ? cause i can extract things from inside ... or do a light version ^^

QueryEverything

I'm guessing (if I may), that all of this second guessing is really leading to nowhere in particular.
There is a lot of assumption that Luke is targeting this release just for CC team to build from, or at least for them to dictate the modding future.  It may be just me, but that's not what I read when I read his blog post.  It was 'modders' in general and not singling out anyone in particular.  If i'm wrong, I am, and I'll accept that.  I hope I'm not though.

I also may suggest, politely, that those that do have concerns jump on the blog post and politely request that Luke may offer some new information, and post your concerns that the update is designed in mind for just one modding group.  Raising your concerns here (whilst very valid from a community discussion point) won't help much, as I doubt that Luke may have a chance to read all the forums and indie blog posts about his blog.  As a person in gaming (dev & gamer), I can assure you that the best course of action, to get a result from the dev, is to go direct.  Be polite, be friendly, and who knows, he may just be able to respond.  :)

I am eager to know too what is happening with future development, and how it will affect current modders, how it will affect our game play and if the changes are going to benefit the core CC devs, but, I've been in the industry long enough to know ...  nothing is for certain, not even release day, so i'm hanging back from guessing what Luke will be doing.

I hope for some more changes, but, for now, i'm just happy he's back on the wagon with a new patch.  :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Hawk

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 10, 2017, 02:20:40 AM
in NMT what is inside would have been interested for ? cause i can extract things from inside ... or do a light version ^^

Looking over your NMT and the list of your individual mods, haven't you already done that for most of the stuff inside NMT?
I do have some of them.  :)

Quote from: QueryEverything on February 10, 2017, 02:23:07 AM
I'm guessing (if I may), that all of this second guessing is really leading to nowhere in particular.
There is a lot of assumption that Luke is targeting this release just for CC team to build from, or at least for them to dictate the modding future.  It may be just me, but that's not what I read when I read his blog post.  It was 'modders' in general and not singling out anyone in particular.  If i'm wrong, I am, and I'll accept that.  I hope I'm not though.

I agree with you. I think there's a concern that maybe the CC team will dictate or take control of the additional flags, but I think the way to look at this, assuming we have an inkling as to what Luke is doing, is as was suggested earlier in that getting the modders together to decide how to best utilize the additional options to benefit all modders so that they're all on the same page in regards to, for lack of a better term, assigning the new flags globally - to benefit all modders.

But you're right; we may be assuming something that may not even come to pass, or at least in the way we're thinking, but it's still interesting to discuss it.  :)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

RedKetchup

there is hundreds and hundreds of things inside NMT :)