News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Foundations and roads

Started by WJB, October 06, 2017, 12:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WJB

I have never done any modding myself, but something occurred to me. At some stage I did a bit of experimenting with the stone quay-walls from the megamod; they include sections which can be build on. And I found that they can be used in more than one way...
The picture contains a screenshot I took which shows what I mean by that.
Now imagine that there is a similar modular set of blocks which could be used as foundations- and also a set of sidewalks to align along streets; this could of course also include angled sections.
If I'm not mistaken, the quay-walls I mentioned are a tiny bit higher than the actual road-surface level; the result is that the road-textures can be placed underneath them-- and there are absolutely no gaps between the houses, sidewalks or roads at all...
The quay-wall set also includes a quarter-circled section- but that one can not be build on. However- if the road-system would include similar blocks- including a smaller diameter matching the road-decorations of the DS roads-set included in the megamod, it would match up nicely- and the corners of the roads could be round instead of angled...

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

RedKetchup

yeah, haven't tried City Roads ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

WJB

Yes- I have been using the city roads; actually I rather liked them. But there is still a bit of an issue.
If you use the terrain-leveling tool, you get this effect:

If the city-roads are used here, that muddy surface is still visible:

This is where those quay-walls come in; the regular ones can not be used to build anything on:

But there is a second group which can be build on; and they can be used to close these gaps:

The problem is that they are obviously fitted with a wooden beam on the edge, and it can be difficult to hide that. I am not an expert, but I could imagine that it might be possible to create a similar feature which ties in with the city-roads; but if those pieces would have the same height as the sidewalks in the city-roads set, it might create problems since the building would be sunk into that piece.
There is also the road-bound set; maybe it could be possible to create a foundation-block which would level a building with the sidewalks...?
I also found that people walking as slow as in the terrain on the city-roads; maybe that could be changed as well.
In any case- the city-roads set is already great, and it has a lot of potential. Maybe a segment with a rounded edge similar to the one in the quay-walls set could be included as well...

RedKetchup

there are some ghosted made just for fitting the sidewalks and hide all the brown/green grass that can still be seen between the sidewalks and the building itself

Savidan

Yes ! a lot of ghosted sidewalks !!!!   :)

I spread them everywhere to get a clean style town :) <3

RedKetchup

oh about walking speed, we cannot give a walking speed to a decoration item, you need to put your road down first, and then, put the 3d decoration ontop of it.