News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Locating houses near work sites...

Started by jodost, July 26, 2018, 02:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodost

How do you make sure that houses near work sites are occupied by the Bannies that work there?

Thanks in advance...

embx61

The game does this by itself.
Every certain time it scans and reassign workers so they work closer to home.
So if a farmer lives too far from his work there is a good change the game change that farmer in a stonecutter if a quarry is way closer to his/her house.

It is hard coded so us modders cannot do anything with it.
It is maybe not always perfect but I can say it does a pretty good job and it saves the players a lot of hassling around.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

brads3

these bannies are crazy. they will move all over the place. what i do is when i build a workplace i add houses for the workers. say i start a forest that needs a forester,hunter,gatherer,i'll build at least 2 houses at the same time. sometimes 3,so there is extra laborers. the bannies will move on their own over time and be closer to work.

when you start a new area or town,the 1st to move will be the builders not the laborers.once the area is finished and work starts elsewhere the game will find new builders.those builders in the old area should then work those workplaces.
      i try to scatter laborers around the maps. these will carry goods and drop items as they travel home to eat. these dropped items can be clothing,tools,firewood,etc. this helps keep goods moving closer to the workers that are assigned a work place.saves them running too far for items. for instance the forest has no grain.the workers will take food from the barns and their diet will be fruit,roots,and meat. a few laborers out there might drop some grain to the barns in their travels. not foolproof but a little bit helps.

same thing applies to nomads. if you get 10 nomads,try not to put all 10 to work. the age mods do give you an advantage since the graduation age is close to the move out and marry and have children age. to me this helps give control. i look for females early in game. when they get to 16 yrs old,i build a house.generally they will pair up. if there isn't enough males to pair,the single females can still get pregnant.   

rkelly17

@brads3, I've never been aware that we, the builders have any control over where specific workers live. As near as I can tell, all we can do is build sufficient housing as near as possible to all work places and let the game do its job-assigning thing. Big clearing projecta and building projects will throw things off until they complete because the game wants the closest people to be the laborers and builders for the project.

I've never seen a Bannie change houses unless his/her spouse dies and he/she moves in with someone else. And of course when the first pair up and leave the parents' house. I would love to see some evidence that they move otherwise.

embx61

@rkelly17

I agree, it is I think, at least what I mostly noticed, is that not the bannies change their house to live closer to work but rather the game change their work assignment if another job is closer to where they live. I see bannies change jobs quite some time and found out there new job was way better in terms of distance work/home.
Maybe not perfect but as I said before, the game does a pretty decent job with it.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

brads3

i have seen weirdness. they will change or swap children to move the students closer to school. i have had cuples get mad at each other and split.every now and then i add a story to my blog,or i should say the bannies do. just to add to the dilmea for you Rkelly. at 1 point,KID's pumpkin greenhouse would cause a bannie to go homeless by walking by it. i don't think mod order changed it either.i don't build that greenhouse often.

want a more frustrating 1? i had a map where all the kids would get kicked out.some wouldn't go to boardinghouses. i made houses and got them all set. then more got kicked out.like 30 bannies aeach time. that was a mod problem but i can't remember which 1.

Abandoned

One easy start, my starting families are in the same houses at the end of the story that they were in the beginning.  On rare occasion one spouse may move out sometimes taking a child but most of the time they end up where they started.  They will however often change jobs, spouses often switch jobs back and forth between them.

jodost

Wow! Thanks you guys.  :D  When I tried this in the past, I checked with the paths tool and saw workers coming from all over the place, but obviously I just wasn't patient enough, and I fell back into the pattern of concentrating all the houses around marketplaces.

This should give my  towns an efficiency boost🤗

Nilla

This changing of occupations isn't perfect but I find, that it works decent most of the time,too. As some of you have said;  builders are high in priority and can mess things up. A good advice is not to assign too many builders. I have seen similar weird things as you describe @brads3. In my games it has happened only when I've made some mistakes, like blocking the entrance of a house or as I built a house boat without access to the door. 

Hawk

Quote from: Nilla on July 27, 2018, 02:46:59 AM
This changing of occupations isn't perfect but I find, that it works decent most of the time,too. As some of you have said;  builders are high in priority and can mess things up. A good advice is not to assign too many builders. I have seen similar weird things as you describe @brads3. In my games it has happened only when I've made some mistakes, like blocking the entrance of a house or as I built a house boat without access to the door.

One thing I've seen a couple You Tubers do is assign builders and leave them, even when not building anything. I don't think that's a good idea, for reasons stated above.

Personally, I only assign builders when I'm building something, and sometimes not even as many as that building requires. Once the building project is completed I unassign builders and change them back to laborers, or whatever the game decides to do with them.
Builders will live in the houses closest to the building project, hence causing the assigned workers for a job near to live further away. Once the builders move out, the workers can then move in, or a reassignment is done by the game to have the workers close to their jobs.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Nilla

Quote from: Hawk on July 27, 2018, 03:06:34 AM

Personally, I only assign builders when I'm building something, and sometimes not even as many as that building requires
Unless I forget to unemploy the builders I usually use less builders than " needed " .

jodost

Since Builders do nothing until the site is cleared and the materials are delivered, I only assign them when that happens. The building's foundation appears at that point as a visual cue.

brads3

i leave at least 1 builder all the time unless i need the laborer. he is always busy doing roads somewhere at least. also it saves you wonderiing why a building isn't being finsihed since you forgot to re-assign the builder.

rkelly17

@brads3 brings up a point to remember: Builders will always go build roads while they wait for their build site to be cleared and all materials delivered. Then they will go to the build site and start working. That means if you marked roads somewhere far away from the current build site and wonder why your builders aren't showing up to work, it might be that they are on their way from building roads. If I have roads to be built (or former dirt roads to be paved with stone or brick) I leave some workers designated between builds. But when all the jobs are finished, I relieve all builders and then reassign new ones for the next job. I do this mainly because of the game's job assignment algorithm. You never know who it might assign to be a builder and how that might disrupt something else.

I find that some buildings have what I consider to be too many builders desired, for example the salt box houses in CC which want 4 builders each. Those I lower to the amount I consider appropriate so as not to take too many people away from other jobs to be builders.

But to each his or her own.   8)