News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Not Exactly a Challenge

Started by rkelly17, May 15, 2014, 07:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

@ivorymalinov:

1.  Cause the insert image tags to appear by pressing the button above.
2.  Change the first one to IMG WIDTH=800, instead of just IMG.  This prevents your screenshot from going off the righthand side of the screen.
3.  Hover your cursor over one of the attachments and copy off the URL.  There are other ways to do this, but that will work.
4.  Place the URL between the image tags.
5.  Copy the whole thing enough times for all of your attachments, and edit in the numbers.

solarscreen

I just attach my screencaps as attachments.  The forum renders them in the post for you automatically.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

ivorymalinov

@solarscreen , I just noticed my initial attachment of map parameters didn't enter as a full view-able in post image... if you follow my Sunday morning lack-of-logic. I was hoping to find an easy, idiot proof way to get them into the actual post as @slink did. Perhaps more coffee will assist me.

solarscreen

Here are my Year 5 screencaps. I started my village on Hard.

solarscreen

Quote from: ivorymalinov on May 17, 2014, 08:21:52 PM
@solarscreen , I just noticed my initial attachment of map parameters didn't enter as a full view-able in post image... if you follow my Sunday morning lack-of-logic. I was hoping to find an easy, idiot proof way to get them into the actual post as @slink did. Perhaps more coffee will assist me.

If you attach your images, you get a thumbnail to see in the post and the forum software has an add-on that allows you to click the thumbnail and it will popout a larger view of your image up to 1920x1080, depending on your screen resolution and screencap.

If you want to post larger images in the post, upload all your images to the gallery, then use the links it create for each one in your post and use width specs to control the size as @slink was telling you.

ivorymalinov

Ahhhh, my second attempt at this map seed. First attempt was on hard difficulty and got quite messy. This attempt is at medium difficulty.

5 years in and the township of Lindom is growing steadily. So far I've only lost one adult to childbirth difficulties.

Trade dock has been sited along the riverbanks and the first fishing dock is sited too. Behind the hill is our first church and the graveyard next to it is still under construction. My farmers are producing succulent potatoes and beans and our chestnut orchard is established.

Further inland from the river is our first forrestry/gathering/hunter/herb hub.

ivorymalinov

Lindom at 10 years old.

The town hall has been built on the banks of the river.  A market place has been constructed to pull resources in from the outer barns. The foresters hut sited in the center of my original settlement is set to plant only with 1 worker. I have a thing for "greening" my towns. Lindom just accepted 12 nomads in the hopes they will add diversity to the gene pool.

My original hunter/gatherer/herb/forester site is pumping out resources. I plan to relocate them further out as "suburbia" is encroaching on their work areas. A second hub has been set up just outside the work range of this original one. This is hiding behind the event log in the screen shot.  Two stone quarries have been sited and one is up and running.

The graveyard has one lonely grave in it so far. A gatherer ate a poisonous berry whilst out working one day. It seems my school system failed to educate her on what's safe to eat and what isn't.

ivorymalinov

Lindom at 15 years.

An iron mine has been added not far from the marketplace. Although iron is scattered in large quantities all over the map my lovely little people would rather do other things than go collect it. Firewood and herbs are now low and the warning alert is going off like a faulty smoke alarm. I traded these for lovely Johnny Apple seeds and Plum seeds.

My quarry is producing lovely stone which is being used to create elaborate headstones for the unlucky folk who are dropping like flies to Diphtheria and Mumps (or was it Measles?). Thanks to those genetically diversified nomads I've had a string of diseases from the filthy devils. A hospital has been constructed and a doctor appointed in attempts to stem the flow of death. A second marketplace has been added and more housing for the new farming sector north of the original settlement site.

The new farming settlement is in place. Pumping out lovely big fat potatoes and beans. Although I do think my people are getting a bit tired of the same diet. Orchards are being set up for our new Johnny Apple seeds and Plum seeds. I'm really hoping a trader comes soon with wheat or corn, or even some livestock would be nice.

ivorymalinov

Lindom.... 20 years.

Actually, this photo is at 19 years but I'd like to show you Lindom's new cattle breed. "The legless longhorn". Unique to Lindom this breed of cattle produces the most succulent meat and world class leather. If you're still breeding cows with legs then you are behind the times people!

A boarding house has been added down near the iron mine and additional housing around the market place. Older folks are now being forcefully removed from their family homes to make way for young couples.

The Johnny apple seeds are in alongside plums, chestnuts, pecans and pear trees. Lindom has also managed to somehow entice the livestock trader to visit. Here you can see a meagre sheep herd and our famous legless cattle (now with legs).

To add to Lindom's hunger for potatoes and beans we now produce succulent corn on the cob and big classic butternut pumpkins.

rkelly17

Beautiful, @slink. Your city building is always wonderful to behold.

As to chilli, first you have to remember that I grew up in So. Cal. in a small town about 20 miles East of downtown LA that at that time was transitioning from being a farm town to being a suburb. Thus, my sense of chilli is heavily influenced by the people of Mexican heritage who lived around us. So: Tomatillos, people, tomatillos. Yes, I know many of you may think that chilli ought to be at least sort of red, but green is good. If you like chile verde or green hot sauce, tomatillos are the key ingredient. They are related to ground cherries and Chinese lantern plants and can be grown almost anywhere, even here in the Frozen North. If you can't get tomatillos you can emulate then by using green tomatoes and a bit of lemon juice. The greenness is enhanced by using generous amounts of what we call "Ortega" chiles (based on the brand common in LA), canned chopped green chile peppers. Chilli powder (which consists of various dried and ground peppers, paprika, cumin and a few other spices) also adds some redness. Mexican oregano is good.  The only bean worthy of the name which is allowed anywhere near the chilli pot is the Pinto Bean. This perfectly rational opinion on my part has been the source of some conflict with my dear wife whose family insists on putting kidney beans in chilli (they are not native Californians), but I am willing to fight the good fight. Then as much of your favourite hot sauce as you can handle. I don't really use a recipe--it's a more intuitive process which depends on inspiration and what's in the larder at the moment, but these are the essentials. Once in a wild mood I grated some fresh-from-the-garden parsnips into a pot of chilli and got quite good reviews.

solarscreen

@rkelley, I spent 12 years in SoCal. North Park area of San Diego in the 80's and 90's. I much prefer the SoCal style of mexican food and always look forward to visiting friends when I get back there just to have "real" mexican food! 

Since I relocated east 20 years ago, I have had to change my recipes for my East Coast friends but I have enjoyed chili the way you like it.  I also enjoy some Dave's Insanity Sauce or maybe some Blair's Sudden Death if I am really craving hot hot HOT.

Next chili batch I make I'm going to make it SoCal style just for old times sake!

slink

@solarscreen: Having large thumbnails doesn't let you type in between them.  You can't use them to illustrate a story.

@rkelly17: I don't know what spices my husband used this time, but it was very good.  It would have included cumin and cayenne, and probably oregano.  He ground them together in our spice grinder so there was no clue except for some mealy white bits that were probably once dried onion flakes.  The burp definitely said "chili".  I am familiar with tomatillos and did grow them when we lived in a wetter, warmer climate.  I canned them as a puree and made salsa verde dishes with that.  I love chocolate and garlic together, in an entree.  I realize that pinto beans are the classical Mexican bean, but I still prefer red kidney or black turtle beans over pintos when I cook for myself.  I prefer the stronger colors.  I felt cheated by the small red beans that I bought recently.  They turned into pink beans after they were soaked and rinsed.  They might as well have been pintos.  I confess that chili when I grew up was made with red kidney beans, and sometimes with macaroni (chili mac).  It was spicy and good, regardless.  I had a hard time with chili as a small child because the spices hurt my mouth, but I got over that after a few years.  By the time I was a teenager I was craving Szechuan Chinese, Pennsylvania Pepper Pot Soup, Indian curry, and anything else with hot spices. 

My mother grew up with the belief that you only ever put one spice in any dish, so when I was a small child we got chili and curry because she thought Chili Powder and Curry Powder were only once spice.  Below is a picture of my spice cabinet as it was installed last summer.  The cabinet is 24" deep and the drawers are almost full now.

mariesalias

This weekend has been too busy! Hopefully, I will get to start this tonight! Are we doing hard start or medium?

rkelly17

@slink, loved the spice cabinet. Unfortunately 5 of us live in a small suburban house with a kitchen so small only one of us can cook at a time and the spices are consigned to a drawer and the "pantry" in the basement.

I am willing to accept black beans. But I'm still a pinto bean kind of guy. Hot peppers are one of the absolutely essential staples of life. With the horrible lack of Mexican food where we now live I have become an enthusiastic consumer of Indian curries. Our daughter worked in Bangladesh for a year and learned to cook Bengali and we have three or four very good restaurants we go to. I suppose I should be grateful for the British spreading their subjects throughout the world. My wife had several South Asian families from Guyana in her congregation and they still grow these wonderful tiny and hot peppers for me. I'm getting hungry!

slink

Credit for the four-squares of agriculture goes to akkh29, on Shining Rock Banished Forum.  I have grouped four of them around a marketplace.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/forum/discussion/3572/l-shape-community

After about seven years, the eldest five males met privately.  "We're getting too many children for our school" said one.  The second one replied with a grin "Not much else to do at night", as he hitched up the loincloth that his wife had woven for him from dried beanstalks.  "We'd better build another school, and some more houses" commented the third male.  "Braggart" said the fourth male to the fifth, who was wearing a well bucket tied over his groin instead of woven beanstalks.  The five males shuffled off in their birch bark sandals.

The five eldest females conferred, and one remembered a diagram she had seen before they were banished.  It involved marketplaces.  The five of them laid out the diagram several times before they got it right, but eventually they had a plan.  By year ten, the second school, a second woodcutter's yard, and some more houses and barns, as well as two marketplaces, were built.  They were getting old, but at last they had somewhere to shop.

Final screenshot shows only the households of those with females too old to bear young.  This is the first generation, and part or all of the second generation.  The first five houses of the second generation are the original ten children.  The other twelve houses contain still-breeding pairs.  No one has, as yet, died.