News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Irrelevant: Beanblossom - no markets

Started by irrelevant, September 14, 2015, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Year 26

Starting to develop some standards, TP-centered, small farms, small barns, half-staffed gatherers in the hinterland, trading mutton, venison, leather, ale, some firewood, a few herbs, wool coats, and iron tools for stone, iron, plums, pecans, warm coats, steel tools.

Insuring that all items needed for local consumption are produced or purchased locally is the key to doing without markets.

Pangaea

Thanks a lot for the explanation @irrelevant . Will try to keep this in mind for the future :)

Considering the amount of English native speakers that make elementary mistakes with it's/its, have/of (I HATE this one, e.g. "I would of...") and so on and so forth, lie/lay is quite understandably tricky, even for native speakers.

Admittedly I see many such mistakes on football (non-US) forums, and it has to be said that football fans tend to not be high on Mensa members. Unfortunately I see mistakes like that in many other fields too, even including in news articles, particularly online, perhaps because there is little, if any, editorial process online.

Sorry for that moan. Keep up your interesting no markets experiement :)

irrelevant

@Pangaea you're welcome!

year 31

Expanding out away from the river using elongated forest groups with barns and housing mixed in, and small wheat farms off to the side. These will serve as bases when I get them extended to places where I can build TP centers. Tools and coats will be tough out there until then.

Nilla

I don't think it matters much, if the people who lives far away have to walk a bit every second year or something like that, as they need some new tools or clothing.

As always, I have a question;

Have you looked where these people outside the trading area goes idling? As you know, I looked a bit more careful on my people lately, and even happy people idle occasionally. Mostly they go to the market or to the trading port. But where do they go if there is nothing of that kind close? Maybe you should build a well (or perhaps a scarecrow, if you have that mod, it's cute) to keep them close to home.

irrelevant

@Nilla I never thought to check. What do you know, they are idling standing out in the middle of the woods. I'm having a hard time finding anyone with fewer than 5 stars though.

irrelevant

I suppose this is an advantage of having full happiness; they don't have to seek out a happiness circle to idle in.

Nilla

You mean if they are happy they can idle everywhere? That´s interesting. I didn´t see that in my unhappy town. But there on the other hand, idling locations were close to everyone. Happy people idle a lot, too, especially if they have little work to do.

irrelevant

Year 41

Expanding in a few directions, and each one is a bit different.

Screen 1 - Going out to the north, there is a TP site on a  stream. Almost ready to start building. There will be a tavern, tailor, smith, woodcutter, farms and orchards, pretty much the same as what you see along the river in screen 5

Screen 2 - To the west, there is a landlocked (for now  ;) ) lake where I will build a TP. I'll drag construction mats out, and then....

Screen 3 - Build a canal to connect the lake with the river

Screen 4 - Expanding to the east along the south side will be the biggest challenge; I'll have to go nearly to the east edge to reach a TP site.

Screen 5 - The main town, gradually expanding.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on September 26, 2015, 08:17:09 PM

Nice looking settlement, as always.

Screen 4 - Expanding to the east along the south side will be the biggest challenge; I'll have to go nearly to the east edge to reach a TP site.

What about the streams? Isn't it possible to build a canal-port in the area and use the streams as connection. I know, the merchant don't like all streams. It looks like the opening to the river must be big enough.

irrelevant

@Nilla Yeah, I've been up and down every square of all three streams multiple times. The stream at the bottom of the map has just one TP site, almost all the way to the map edge. ::)

I don't want to build a canal TP. That's too easy.

Might be better though, to use a canal to connect the landlocked lake to the stream.

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on September 26, 2015, 08:17:09 PM
Screen 3 - Build a canal to connect the lake with the river

What's going on here? Is this a mod so that you can sort of build rivers?

irrelevant

@Pangaea You were gone a long time, weren't you?! ;D

Yes, it is included in @RedKetchup's essential and amazing mod, New Medieval Town. Not only can you connect landlocked lakes and streams to the main river, opening them up to trade, you also can build TPs on the canals themselves.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=960.0

There are two different canal skins and (I think) four different widths. 

Pangaea

Ah, cheers. I have indeed been away a long while, and everything has changed now. Where is that cane so I can wave it in the air?  ;D

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on September 27, 2015, 06:46:48 AM

I don't want to build a canal TP. That's too easy.

Might be better though, to use a canal to connect the landlocked lake to the stream.

Maybe it's easier, but I really don't see the difference; you build a canal port on a canal or you build a canal to connect a lake to the river and build a normal trading port on the lake, where it wasn't meant to be. Yes I know one difference, when I think about it; the canal port looks nicer.  ;D

One more thing for you @irrelevant: You don't have to worry, I'm going on vacation: 2 weeks to sunny Spain.  :)

irrelevant

@Nilla  The reason I said a canal TP is too easy, is that I could build a canal TP essentially anyplace along that stream there. I could have built one (or more!) already, closer to the river. That doesn't really fit in with the spirit of what I am doing with this town.

Of course, I could say that building canals at all is too easy. I guess this is the compromise I have made with myself.  ;)

Two weeks in Spain! I'm jealous. Have a wonderful trip, and I shall miss your questions and your village blogs.