News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

woah sounds like the old bug. i thought it was fixed !!!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

@RedKetchup  I don't think it's a bug, it's just what happens in an uneducated town. The uneducated pop curve is a big sine wave; in my case pop is ~2000 adults at the top and ~850 adults at the bottom. I currently have 965 jobs created. Once all the laborers are gone, none are available to take the place of a worker when they die. This shows up here because I am letting the town run for several hours unattended. If I was sitting in front of the game, I would be assigning laborers to other jobs as they became available. But with the game unattended, it can run for many years with the jobs unfilled.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on August 19, 2015, 06:47:58 AM
This will take some thought. Ideas, comments, and suggestions are welcome.

Lately I've been doing fine with TPs at 3 each and markets at 2-4 depending on how far they are from a source of supply. I suspect that this is because they aren't working all the time, but only when they need to restock. I also only use 1 herbalist per worksite and have a fairly low herb limit. Not sure what to do with other professions. You seem to use fewer hunters than I do already. I suppose that if one has other sources for fruits and vegetables you can understaff gatherers without much problem. My fishers usually way over produce as well. I don't do mines and quarries, preferring to trade booze for stone and iron (I use the specialized TP mod, so only a few TPs needed). If you come up with good ideas for surviving the sine wave (even in educated communities it happens when the map gets filled up and you can't expand any more--just not quite as violent), please publish.

irrelevant

I hit on a big labor-saver; cutting all my bean fields down to 1 farmer. I'll still get decent production no matter what (unless the "farmer-lives-clear-across-the-map" syndrome kicks in >:( ). Beyond that I've knocked the orchards down from 3 to 2, and cut the TPs from 20 to 16 each.

I hate to skimp on vendors, I don't like for the stock to go under 50%, which it does at some of the markets if they have fewer than 12-15 vendors.

Putting 5000 beans in each TP; I have 250K of the things, may as well put them to work. ;D

The pop curve seems to be flattening at a lower zenith than the past couple of times. Of course I can't post a screenshot.  >:(

Going to let it run overnight again, starting from Autumn 241.

irrelevant

Crashed out again overnight, not long after I left it (I know because there was no new autosave). I don't understand what is happening here, it never crashes out while I am sitting there watching it.

Nilla

This is a very interesting experiment. I am very surprised that everyone died. I can't really understand why that happened. I have had several rally bad starvation. But I never killed everyone.

The problem with the workforce is interesting. Can you feed and support an uneducated population with so few workers that the laborers never fall below 0? Interesting. I'm looking forward to see more.

Sorry about the crash. Could it have to do with some energy saving mode of the computer? That it will be shut down by it self when you don't use it. I noticed when I ran Banished unattended, that the computer "thought" that it wasn't used and went into energy-saving-mode. The game didn´t crash, but it was paused. I had to turn it off.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on August 21, 2015, 05:31:33 PM
This is a very interesting experiment. I am very surprised that everyone died. I can't really understand why that happened. I have had several rally bad starvation. But I never killed everyone.

The problem with the workforce is interesting. Can you feed and support an uneducated population with so few workers that the laborers never fall below 0? Interesting. I'm looking forward to see more.

Sorry about the crash. Could it have to do with some energy saving mode of the computer? That it will be shut down by it self when you don't use it. I noticed when I ran Banished unattended, that the computer "thought" that it wasn't used and went into energy-saving-mode. The game didn´t crash, but it was paused. I had to turn it off.
@Nilla

I think what happened is they all froze, not starved. There was a bit of food left, but zero firewood.

Pretty sure this town can be self-sustaining. I'm at the office right now, but when I left home a couple of hours ago, it was on year 270. It had run for 6 hours with very little input from me. Hopefully it will still be running when I get back home. I'll put up some more images then.

I have all of the energy-saving features turned off. The screen never goes dark.

irrelevant

Year 284 - pop 1900

At the last bottom of the sine wave, lost 19 professionals; that's manageable.

Got too much iron, need to tweak the purchase program. Other than that, everything is humming along just fine  :D

Setting good production limits is nearly as important as setting good auto-trades.

Screen 1 - graphs and occupations

Screen 2 - inventories and autotrades

irrelevant

Year 300 - pop 1171

The graphs look pretty much the same as they did in 284, so I won't post them this time.

The only thing that I haven't really got sorted out yet is iron; I should probably just quit putting tools in the TPs. There's only 100 in each, but if I have to buy iron, why am I selling tools?   

Of course unable to upload images.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on August 22, 2015, 08:20:59 PM
There's only 100 in each, but if I have to buy iron, why am I selling tools?   

bah for making profit :)

irrelevant

@RedKetchup, the town is 100% uneducated; since I'm buying iron, I'm just breaking even on tools. ;D

I stopped selling them, and the iron curve flattened out, more or less.

RedKetchup

irrelevant

irrelevant

Year 350

Spent much of the afternoon and evening monitoring and tweaking trading (I have no life ;D ) . No matter how well you have your autotrades set up, you can still get stung by, say, a string of resource merchants. At one point GP ran out of fruit for ale, which caused ale production to cease, which impacted purchases of everything else. I had to intervene and direct trading for a couple of years. The 9999 trade limit is a real weak spot for autotrading/autorunning like this. A boat can bring 32000 peaches, but if you aren't sitting there running things, the boat is going to leave with 22001 of them still on board. Probably 8 TPs is really too few for doing this, but I don't have enough producers to stock more TPs.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm using the mod that eliminates seed and livestock traders.

RedKetchup