News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Springfield - Story 23

Started by Abandoned, March 20, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 23rd story in the Smallville series and tells the tale of the 13th expedition to leave that town.  It has been a long time since an expedition left Smallville, it is now approximately year 53 Smallville time.  Smallville's founding families were orphans of a natural disaster and after settling Smallville they knew all too well the problems that arise due to lack of trees.  When word arrived by boatman that a tornado had touched down in Newport an expedition was formed to go to their aid.  The group would take sufficient seedlings from Smallville's famous greenhouse with them as tornadoes were know to do mass destruction to forest lands.  When this expedition reached Newport they learned the town had suffered many personal losses but the town itself received little damage, surrounded areas were not so lucky and Newport had taken in many disaster victims.  The area to the east was hardest hit, expedition 23 headed in that direction to revitalize the area.  They establish the town of Springfield.

The map seed is #276519626  Plains with Lake, Medium Size, Harsh Cold Climate, Disasters On, Easy

Like Smallville I am using DS Small Village mod.  Other mods used and load order :

Starting and Map Changing Mods: Banished UI Maps & UI Mods, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, DS Terrains & Climates, DS Roads, New Flora

Tweak Mods: Better Stock Piles, Bigger Wheelbarrows, Longer Living Orchards, 1:1 Aging, Reindeer Hides

Main or Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Nomad Sign Complete, Smallville Sign, DS Jetty & Bridges, Small Village Homes, Production, Services, Storage, Stone Bridge, Town Houses, Kids Alotofseeds Trader, Mini Buildings
Supporting Mods:  Better Stockpile Storage, DS Ale House, Bridge Crossing, Bryce's Butcher, Celtic House & Village Beta, Chapel of St. Ernest, Crest Blacksmith, Fences & Decorations, Fruit & Veg Barn, Lumber Mill, Market Harborough Old Grammar School, Roasted Nuts, Small Village Tents, Stone Hovels, Storage, Tunnels, Wagon Vendor, Green House, Kid's Abandoned Places, New Trees, Small Town Home, Styth Tower, Tiny Quarry, Tunnel Mine

Thank you @Discrepancy for so many great mods

So, weary traveler, I will tell you all about Springfield, but first, come sit closer to the fire.  It is a harsh cold first day of spring to be sure.

brads3

Turis

Do we have Clark Kent aka Superman in the city?

Abandoned

Hi guys  :)  I've been around but not playing Banished.  Busy winter at home Spring Cleaning  ;D  There have been a lot of updates and new mods in the last few months.  It took sometime to update my mod list.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?  I hope it will be a city, bigger map size this time.  ;D

Discrepancy

I'm glad you are still continuing :) good luck.

kid1293

Nilla

I´m happy to see you back in action, too! :)

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Thank you all, it is nice to be back doing a map and story.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

The first day of spring was very cold the year we arrived here.  The small settlement had been abandoned.  It reminded me of stories told by my grandparents who were two of the founders of Smallville.  My name is Maebell and my husband is Larryl, we have a 1 year old son who was born shortly before we left Smallville.  Four families set out from Smallville.  We traveled to Newport then headed east, but there were so many downed trees it was rough going. We followed a small stream and ended up much farther north than we had planned.  Two more families joined us along the way.  They and the orphans with them were all that were left of their towns that were destroyed by the deadly tornado.  There were 26 of us then, 12 adults and 14 children.   It was very cold and we had several days of heavy snow before we came to a clearing where we saw the bridge and houses across the river.

The settlement appeared to have been recently constructed.  There was only the bridge, the barn, and a few houses.  We found some supplies and some scrawny sheep that had taken shelter in the barn and one of the houses.  Some cleaning and a few minor repairs and the houses were quite livable.  We found hunting and fishing gear and some baskets that lead us to believe this may have been the temporary home of hunters and gatherers.  None of the equipment was useable.

When it finally stopped snowing, Roberton took the sheep to the small clearing northeast of town.  He said we would probably need some fences. We built a small outdoor classroom but Damar the teacher said we would need a schoolhouse because of the icy cold rain.  Corten, the woodcutter, was hard at work replenishing the firewood we took home to our fireplaces.  He said we would soon need a forester.  We would need a green house to protect and nurture the seedlings we brought with us from Smallville.  We had many needs.

Spring was cool and rainy.  We gathered herbs, mushrooms, and wild oats.  We were concerned for our food supply, we had 14 children to feed.  We constructed a hunting cabin and fishing dock not far north of the bridge.  We also found evidence that the tornado had cut a path of destruction through this area as well.  It was hard to tell what the destroyed building we found might have been.

By early summer we had a mini Town Hall build and a small workshop.  Alph said he could make iron tools, hide coats, hunting and fishing gear and even some gathering baskets.  We did not wait for the baskets to be made but every chance we got we gathered herbs and wild foods.  The summer was cool and it was only 55 degrees in late summer when we began clearing a field for crops to be planted next spring.   We had a very heavy frost in early autumn and we wondered what the winter and following spring would bring.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

Three babies were born in late autumn including my daughter Christyn and our outdoor classroom had 2 students. It was a harsh winter that first year with temperatures dropping below zero.  None of us had ever experience a minus 3 degree day before.  When the temperature rose to 5 above zero we thought it was warm, especially the forester and hunters.

Early spring of year 2 was cold and snowy.  Weather permitting, we began laying stone roads and since it was a struggle to keep the seedling alive, we began building a greenhouse.  Even if we couldn't spare a worker to tend them, they would do better planted there.  A field of corn was planted but it was too late to plant cabbage by the time a second field was cleared.  Five disaster survivors arrived in town that spring and we certainly needed the help.  They had trouble decided which of them wanted to be a forester and which a herdsman. The youngest among them, who was only 7 years of age, went to work instead of school. We would need more housing so we would need more logs, we added another forester to our workforce.

It was a cool summer with temperatures only in the 50s, the corn crop was doing well until it snowed in early autumn, not all of the corn was harvested.  We  must remember to assign another farmer to the field next summer. 

We began building a small village school but it would not be finished before winter but hopefully no child would miss out on an education.  Our outdoor classroom had 5 students already.  Everyone was surprised when Inelli, who was still a student, moved into the warmer leather tent with Kartell, age 8.  The stone hovel was completed and the last homeless family moved in by early spring of year 3.

Nilla

Maybe Springfield could need the advice from a wise old lady, accustomed to harsh conditions?

They don't need to assign another farmer, if they remember to start the harvest early enough. In a harsh climate, you have to start the harvest manually to get a good harvest. Start it at 80%. You can see, the first planted crops are fully grown and when the farmer reach the last row, it had time to grow full as well. You lose nothing but win a lot.

Orchards are a bit trickier. Here you really lose some fruit on the first trees, that are harvested if you start earlier. So assign more farmers, just before the harvest starts, might be a better idea.

Abandoned

Thanks wise Nordic woman @Nilla I will try an early harvest.  I played the next year a while ago and added another farmer to corn field and new field also.  I left the harvest for laborers to pick up so I got full harvest.  I also build a storage unit close to the fields.  I will try early harvest at 80% next.  I can certainly use the workers elsewhere.  :)  I have yet to plant an orchard.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

It had been another harsh winter and cold snowy early spring. Some thought this settlement may have been abandoned because of the harsh climate.  We needed more firewood, more roads, and warmer clothes if we were to survive here.  The Village Tailor was completed by summer of year 3 but we soon were out of leather for warm coats, Yosella would make some wool coats instead.  We were lucky Yosella, who was educated, stepped in to take the job of tailor rather than one of the 6 uneducated settlers who arrived in spring.  They migrated from farther north where the winter had been even worse than ours.  They decided to stay with us.  We needed the laborers to cut trees, gather stone and wild food.   In late summer 2 of them became farmers to help bring in the corn and cabbage crops.  The harvest totals were good.

The early frost and snow had a deer herd grazing close by, but they moved on before a hunter with hunting gear got there.  Our food supply was good but we needed the leather for warm coats.  Our new families were still homeless and the new Village schoolhouse was not yet finished.  On the coldest days the outdoor classroom moved into the barn.  The schoolhouse was completed by early winter and the teacher and parents were glad the children were inside out of the cold.  By the end of year 3, there were 3 more children, our newborn son, Hollinton, among them.  Springfield's population was now 43, 22 adults, 5 students, and 16 young children.

RedKetchup

how comes after 3 years and being almost at spring 4 , you still have 6 citizens who dont have an house ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .