News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Hunting; all you need is one hunter and a good location

Started by irrelevant, July 20, 2015, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

What's a good location? Before you place a hunting cabin, scope out the vicinity first. Look for herds grazing. Then watch them as they move. The grazing herds move to different spots, normally to locations too far away to be in any circle that they would have been in before. But other herds move in to different locations. If you watch for a few months, you can identify several grazing locations near to your starting area. Your first cabin should contain at least two or three of these grazing locations. Deer will return to these spots year after year, and you will bag them over and over.

Nilla

.......and you need the special deer whisperer ability.

I never have 1000 venison with 1 hunter. Not even if there are 4 batches of deer in the circle. :(  ;)

What do you say, the rest of you? Am I the stupid one or @irrelevant the skilled one? If I have 1 hunter in my cabins there is usually 2 -3 deer shot every year.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on July 21, 2015, 04:40:21 AM
What do you say, the rest of you? Am I the stupid one or @irrelevant the skilled one? If I have 1 hunter in my cabins there is usually 2 -3 deer shot every year.

@Nilla, I would never question either your intelligence or @irrelevant's skill! I would also say that @irrelevent is one very lucky hunter. If I'm ever stranded in the wilderness, I hope it is with him.  ;D

My problem with optimum hunting locations is that a hunting cabin is one of the first buildings I build in order to get some meat on the table quickly. Sometimes I get lucky and a deer spawning spot is inside the circle and the hunters bring lots of meat and leather and sometimes I'm not lucky and their production is noticeably lower. So much depends on start location. Later when I add other hunting, gathering, logging villages I can be a bit more careful on siting, but even so I'm always trying to leave logical spaces for farming and town centers, so the hunters have to do the best they can. Aeons ago I ran some tests and found that--at least for me--more hunters shot more deer, but not always a lot more.

irrelevant

This hunter has 4 grazing areas in his circle. There always are 1-2 herds available.

I'm sure you know this, but for everyone else: the herds moving through the circle can't be hunted, unless they stop on a grazing spot. Only the grazing herds are fair game.

RedKetchup

1200 is the max. they can have 1 prey per month X 12 months
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Brugle

I've found that the production of a single hunter is quite variable.  In the fast forward challenge, a single hunter had 1 or 2 kills each year for a few years then had 5 in one year.

irrelevant

I think I've figured out one more thing about deer. You know how you can have a hunting cabin in a spot where it seems like you should not still be getting deer, because your town is getting built up around it, but it is still producing pretty much like it always has? The reason the cabin still is producing is that the grazing locations are still there. As long as you do not build a structure directly on the grazing location, the deer will keep coming back. And the grazing locations are crucial to that herd, as that is where the young deer are born.

So if hunting is important to you, be careful not to build on the grazing spots until you absolutely must. This can be problematic, since much of the time there are no deer present to remind you of where the grazing spots are. You have to remember....  ::) :P

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on September 16, 2015, 06:02:47 AMThis can be problematic, since much of the time there are no deer present to remind you of where the grazing spots are. You have to remember....  ::) :P

You would have to bring that up.  ???  :-[

irrelevant

Gordon Dry

When you don't forget to check where the grazing spots are you could build decorative wooden signs nearby.

Pangaea

More by accident than clever planning, but before my villages crashed, a single hunter in two different locations would quite regularly get 1000-1200 venison a year. Always nice to see, particularly due to the leather they hauled in.

purringcat

I have no idea what these two icons represent - where the red arrow is pointing and the one to the right of it.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

purringcat

They're in irrelevant's original post and I'd never seen the wheelbarrow before.    Just curious.     ::)

Pangaea

This thread hasn't been active for.. a while. But I was playing a game again, used only one hunter per cabin, and then came over this thread, so... :)

I didn't specifically hunt for many gracing spots in the circle, but this cabin turned out pretty good. From memory, I got 1000 venison in 4 out of 6 years.

However, I also came about quite an odd situation. I've seen it before, but this time I got a screenshot of it. That person had just chopped down a tree and was wandering back towards the city. But on the way he also brutally murdered Bambie. I have no hunting cabins on that side of the village. Either he was a hunter that killed a deer on the way back to the city, or he was something else, like a labourer, was changed to a hunter after the tree chop, and then killed the deer before wandering back towards the city, and probably towards one of the hunting cabins to the west.