News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

King Of The Mountain

Started by Trizeropz, March 21, 2015, 12:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trizeropz

@Nilla did you place your fishermens like screen 1 or 2? u said they fill the whole river

Nilla

Don't really understand what you mean, but I put the fisher huts so, that their circles fill the whole river. Some overlap but not all too much.

I produce a little more food than @chillzz 29-33 000 each year. 10 fisher- 10 gatherer- 9 hunter-huts. So about 300 people would be sustainable but I will run it till the crash. Right now!!! I hope for 400.  ;D

chillzz

Quote from: Nilla on April 15, 2015, 12:46:32 PM
Don't really understand what you mean, but I put the fisher huts so, that their circles fill the whole river. Some overlap but not all too much.

I produce a little more food than @chillzz 29-33 000 each year. 10 fisher- 10 gatherer- 9 hunter-huts. So about 300 people would be sustainable but I will run it till the crash. Right now!!! I hope for 400.  ;D
29-33.000 a year.. nice. 

did you first build the forest hubs (forester/gatherer/hunter) so you could have much food stored before expanding housing ?
i made the stupid mistake to expand too fast, leaving too less space for additional forester hubs.. the ones i have now, have too much mountain, stone quarry, buildings or water within their radius and can just keep up with food demand.

330 is possible with your current food supply, 350/375 is feasible with current surplus , 400 would totally be awesome..
if they procreate fast enough it might even be possible to reach 425 ish with those numbers!

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Nilla

Banished is still surprising. Yesterday I played it to the crash! It's down to 140 people after a really bad starvation. That's not surprising! But the number of people that starved to death, or other expressed; the highest population on that map with those conditions: 547 people! .  Can't believe it!

It could even have been maybe 20 more, if I haven't made a mistake. In summer 40 I only had 6000 food in store and thought that the crash would come soon. It takes a couple of seasons until babies are born to new couples, so there will be no new children in the new houses before the crash anyway. So I rather saved the space. But it was a mistake. I didn't think of all the food that is stored in the houses. So they survived another year. I have 40 less homes than families and I suppose about the half, would have been built in time for new babies. Something to think about guys, for your games.

Except the small graveyard, that I really shouldn't have built, I could think of no other real mistake. I will not say that it isn't possible to get to a bigger population. On a game like this, you have to make a lot of compromises: Where you build food production, houses, barns and other production sites. I have no idea how good my choices where. I think not bad but certainly not perfect.

The main reason, that this game worked so well, was that I started to store food soon. It takes some years to empty a store of 100 000 food, even when the population grows.

I'll show you some screenies later.

Nilla

Here are the screenshots I promised you before:

First picture

Strategy for more free ground for houses at the end; demolishing barns.

Second picture

The health is getting down, when the stores are getting smaller. Except at the markets, there's mostly fish (and leather/clothing) in the barns. This means poor health to the people not living close to markets. Never seen people with no harts before. But I haven't really figured out what the disadvantage is. Someone said that if the health is bad, there will be less children. I really don't believe this. Look at Monia; only ½ hart health but three children 2, 6 13 years old. I had the highest food production ever in year 39 (almost 35 000) so the productivity isn't much lower. The ill people are "visiting the herbalist" very brief (because there is no herbalist) and than go on with their normal business.

Third picture

First starvation death!  :(

Fourth picture

Graphs, after the big starvation. If you wonder about these strange lows at food; To save space close to the gatherers, I built barns on spots far away, outside the circle. As the barns close to the food producers were full, I "fake demolished" these good barns, and let the people carry the stuff to the remote barns for later use. Had to do this 3 times.

chillzz

Quote from: Nilla on April 16, 2015, 02:40:24 AM
the highest population on that map with those conditions: 547 people! .  Can't believe it!
Holy *beeeeeeeeeep* :O
That is amazing!
* chillzz bows to the Queen of the Mountain

Quote from: Nilla on April 16, 2015, 02:40:24 AM
On a game like this, you have to make a lot of compromises: Where you build food production, houses, barns and other production sites. I have no idea how good my choices where. I think not bad but certainly not perfect.

The main reason, that this game worked so well, was that I started to store food soon. It takes some years to empty a store of 100 000 food, even when the population grows.
I did see you started a forester/gatherer/hunter hub right at the start position near the cart. That position has too much mountains in the yellow radius in my opinion. a little to the south there was a perfect opening in the mountains for full radius. like i pointed with the yellow arrow. but then again, you totally beat the odds with such a surplus of food :O

So i would say : perfect choices in these circumstances! 

Quote from: Nilla on April 16, 2015, 07:56:37 AM
The health is getting down, when the stores are getting smaller. Except at the markets, there's mostly fish (and leather/clothing) in the barns. This means poor health to the people not living close to markets. Never seen people with no harts before. But I haven't really figured out what the disadvantage is. Someone said that if the health is bad, there will be less children. I really don't believe this. Look at Monia; only ½ hart health but three children 2, 6 13 years old. I had the highest food production ever in year 39 (almost 35 000) so the productivity isn't much lower. The ill people are "visiting the herbalist" very brief (because there is no herbalist) and than go on with their normal business.
I've seen the no hearts before, in the 100-challenge i did. Didn't notice any different behaviour/pattern with procreation and production.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Trizeropz

Wooooow @Nilla  547! Nice!

screen 1 is how my template looks like:
red: gatherer
black: barns
next to a gatherer is always a forester
rest are houses. i didnt placed hunter yet because i think about to dont put them into the gatherer radius. maybe between the storage barn down in the middle

screen 2-4 rest of the gatherer,fisher/forestera

Nilla

chillzz bows to the Queen of the Mountain

Thank you, but I might not be able to hold my crown for very long. I am very curious about your settlement @Trizeropz. It seems like you plan and think a lot. And I think generally, it pays off. I'm not so keen on planning a lot myself. I like to let it grow as it comes. Of cause I have a strategy, some kind of concept that I follow. I have tried to plan more in advance but eather I get bored, when it comes to building (the fun is already done) or I change my planning.

Your first plans looks very much like my settlement. I see that you've dropped the idea of overlapping circles. Have you tested and seen that it's less productive?

I put most of my hunting cabins together with the gatherers. Not because they have to be there, but I tried to catch each possible group of deer with a hunter and mostly it was the easiest way to put them together. But you're right; it's the best thing to put as much buildings outside the gatherer circle as possible. If you manage to do this with the hunters, it could probably increase the productivity of the gatherers.

Trizeropz

i moved the gatherer back and forth and back again. but i think this is the best placing. yeah i tested something. i will post the results later, very interesting. i try not to overlap them more than ~10%. buildings will be put anyway in the circle in the late game and it will already disturb enough. the forester really needs to be inside the circle but after a clean forest i will set 1 forester/building and set it to only plant'

with my plan i will have 9 gatherer, 10 fisher, 3 markets, 4 blacksmiths and 2 tailor.
i am angry about the fact that i need to put a quarry :/ and ive no spot for it yet..
i set some hunters near the fisher at main river. and 1 hunter over the storage barn i talked about my last post.
my fishermens will get directly next to them a barn and 2 houses. the 3 markets cover maybe half of the houses but if i set more it would be a waste of space.
i will not build a church. but i will build 2 graveyards with 7*7. i dont know how much stars i will get with 3 markets and just the 2 graveyards, but it should be enough to have 3 hearts. and more 'happines-buildings' are in my eyes a waste of space. the gathere have the highest priority to me because they can get the most food/worker.

i will do it like @Nilla  to store many food and get a big baby boom in late game. earlier i will let the population grow very slow. i am still considering if i will build stone or wooden houses :/ the fact that i will have a very long and slow game it would be better to have stone to dont waste that much firewod. but the fact that i have not much stone and iron i should build wooden :/

have fun:)

Nilla

I decided to build only wooden houses, too. I had enough foresters anyway. But in the end, as I had to build a couple of more woodchoppers, I somehow regretted, that I didn't make at least some stone houses. I don't think I had to take too much wood out of the forests, to have a good productivity, but I could have used the space for the wood cutters better.

So I could give you this advice; If you have a mine and a quarry; (and I don't think you can do without them); why not use all the materials they have. I did't. That was probably a mistake.

Trizeropz

naaaahh. i dont want to build that:D both are ugly. think i need to xd and i will build stone houses

irrelevant

I'm also giving this a go with map 123.

Year 3

Year 7

Planning the second settlement, with a quarry and a mine in the lower right corner.

Year 11

Nilla

I am happy to see that you give it a try. I'm excited to see the next pictures.

I was thinking a little bit about to recover my (almost) dead settlement and try to get a sustainable population, that survives at least one population-high.

irrelevant

Year 34

For awhile I thought I'd forgotten to turn disasters on!

irrelevant

Year 39

Well, these guys aren't going to make it.  :(