News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #2: Vegetarian Village

Started by solarscreen, June 27, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

No, it is not forbidden for this challenge, which is why I said "more strictly than the rules for this challenge require".  ;)  Strictly speaking, it should be forbidden because leather can only be obtained by killing animals, but since the absence can never be proved due to the starting conditions, we might as well allow it.

RedKetchup

but not all vegetarian fans are necessairly a fan of PETA. some believe it is better for health and care less for the poor animals
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

canis39

I'm finding this challenge to be enjoyable. I swear, the first 8-10 merchants who visited my town were selling livestock or seeds that I didn't want.

I was reminded how quickly food stores can be depleted; I dropped from about 16,000 to less than 5,000 in the blink of an eye. I may have overreacted to that just a bit...I am now at 71,000 and increasing.

My population is just over 200 people at the moment.  I have two stable market areas set up. Next step will be expanding to a third market area.

RedKetchup

solarscreen

This is a vegetarian challenge, not a vegan challenge.  :)
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Quote from: slink on June 29, 2014, 05:36:14 PM
Quote from: mariesalias on June 27, 2014, 08:36:08 PM

Do they not show up if you never had them? I never thought about it before, but i guess that would make sense. I believe the trade port functions like that, too.

They do not show up in the town hall if you have never had any in your town.  Note that hide coats always show up because you start with some of those, so even if your colony is managed more strictly than the rules for this challenge require, you will still have an entry for hide coats.  It was to the shame of the colonists in Boltona that they were packed off wrapped in the skins of dead animals, and their potatoes and tools were packed with more of the same.

That is a good point; I hadn't eve really thought about it.  I was planning on just buying wool for coats as leather is too expensive. :D

I realized when I started my town that I won't have venison/mutton/beef to trade for fruit, so this will be a new way of playing this out. Every time I do a One With Nature combined challenge I am always counting down until I can get meat to trade for food!

RedKetchup

yeah :S i always have 1 or 2 dozens of hunter cabin just for trade, with that i buy like 200k stone in a game

slink

Quote from: solarscreen on June 29, 2014, 07:27:14 PM
A vegan would not buy wool.  Or eggs, which you did not mention.  They won't even eat honey.  It's a wonder they can bring themselves to eat fruit, and starve fruit flies.

I personally eat grass-fed beef and free range turkey.  It's better for my health, but the animals end up dead the same as always.   ;D

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on June 30, 2014, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: solarscreen on June 29, 2014, 07:27:14 PM
A vegan would not buy wool.  Or eggs, which you did not mention.  They won't even eat honey.  It's a wonder they can bring themselves to eat fruit, and starve fruit flies.

I personally eat grass-fed beef and free range turkey.  It's better for my health, but the animals end up dead the same as always.   ;D

No eggs you brazen carnivore!

LOL   ;D
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

canis39

I am buying lots of wool and leather - I have more Warm Coats than I will ever need even without hunters or herdsmen - but I figured no eggs even though they weren't mentioned.

We were just talking at work today about being carnivores. I am firmly in the "I am a carnivore as long as the item in question does not resemble the animal it used to be" camp.  Which I grant is probably the most hypocritical...but I seem to be okay with that.

So that means yes to steak, burgers, chicken breasts, bacon, etc.

No to frog legs, whole fish, whole roasted chickens, etc.

RedKetchup

rkelly17

So I got down to work on a vegetarian settlement today and this is what I have so far, the town of Steel in year 31. I started on medium because I was worried that on hard the lack of hunting at the beginning would lead to problems and on easy you get animals. I was somewhat unlucky with vegetables--squash and peppers--but lucky with orchards to get chestnuts, so protein was taken care of. Once I had my trading post set up I did save and reload to get a merchant selling corn and then apples, so grain and fruit (berries from gatherers were OK, but not as much inventory as I would like). Health is now 5 and happiness is 4.5. You'll note from the last picture the great place I found for the hospital, on a little peninsula where it wedges in so that there is no access to sides or rear. So far three outbreaks (scarlet fever, mumps and influenza). The first came quite early, before any trade or nomads, so no hospital built and the people standing on their front porch while "visiting the doctor" spread it to about 10 people before I could get the hospital built. The other two were one person each, so I'm thinking I'm pretty clever--probably be disabused of that soon. The other pictures show the stats and overviews of the settlement. I'm calling the boulevard Chestnut Boulevard since that is what is planted down the middle. That is becoming the central thoroughfare and I will pave it soon as stone inventory builds up. I am just now getting the trading going with a second trading post, so the coat situation is not good. That should come along as I produce more ale to trade.

irrelevant

Wow, that's pretty.

My people are mostly running around naked in year 8. Did I do something wrong? No clue.

rkelly17

@irrelevant, I've got the same problem. I've got to get more trading posts built since only resource and general goods merchants might bring wool or leather or coats of any kind, and in the early days they bring very little. Turns out the citizens aren't only vegetarians, they're also nudists.  ;D

I've built a tailor, but mostly it's unstaffed since there are no raw materials.

irrelevant

@rkelly17 You use orchards a lot; is it necessary to have a farmer assigned to each one the entire time the trees are growing, or can you reassign the farmer to something else (professional, not as a laborer) for the years between planting and the first harvest?