News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Fish Depletion?

Started by angelofmysteries, May 24, 2020, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelofmysteries

Hi there! So in my latest game, I had 2-3 fishing docks centred around a lake and two small docks on the river, each staffed fully but by around 120 population I went from about a 10k/year haul to only 5-7k/year for my larger docks.
The radiuses I believe did overlap just a bit, and there was a small storage unit nearby so they wouldn't have to travel so far to drop their loads unless it was full.

Mod-wise, I'm running the Megamod 8 as well as a few others, one in particular called Fishing Booster by akaChriss. It affects the catch rate, but I'm not sure if it messes with the actual population of the fish and whether or not the fish can be overfished.

Started a new game over, instead using the Intensified Fishing Dock mod by Diospectre; I'm hoping to see better and more consistent results as the game goes on this time around.

I guess in general though, my question is if the fish population can actually be depleted or overfished. Has anyone else here had similar experiences?

rkelly17

There was much discussion about this (and soil depletion) back in the early days of Banished and the final conclusion was that there is no fish depletion. That is for vanilla Banished, so I don't know what any particular mod may or may not do. With unmodified fishing docks I tend to get 1500-2000 per year depending on the quality of the location and logistics (nearness of houses and barn). That can vary with the year and other circumstances (e.g., a big die off of Bannies might lead to a shortage of fishers), but does not degrade over time.

smurphys7

Fish do note deplete. 

A factor changed.  Education, lack of tool, distance to storage, distance to home, water coverage (bridges, trading posts, and other fishing docks block the water), distance to retrieve goods like tools/clothing/herbs are all possible things that may have changed that affect production.

I have run Fishing Docks for literally thousands of Banished years in a single town.  Their production does not change due to overfishing.

theonlywanderer

Here are the stats on how fishing is affected by education, tools and clothing.

1 fishermen, uneducated, no tools, no clothing:  100
1 fishermen, uneducated, tools, no clothing:  470       (370 increase)
1 fishermen, uneducated, tools, clothing:  515            (45 increase)
1 fishermen, educated, tools, clothing:  686                (171 increase)

As you can see, tools are the biggest jump in production, education next.   Tools are key to many jobs remaining productive so if they drop off at some point, it could easily be the reason for such a drastic difference.