News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Population above 2000 at year 30 a possible goal?

Started by jeffmikl, February 11, 2016, 10:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffmikl

I saw this Reddit post from over a year ago - https://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comments/2dqvq8/2000_population_by_year_30_details_in_comments/

His claim was to make it to a population of 2000 by year 30, which he did. He has some pic here - http://imgur.com/a/w79Um#0

However in the last picture you see that he just received over 450 Nomads - http://imgur.com/a/w79Um#18

That is a huge number of Nomads and I am just assuming that number due to the homeless count. Point is, he may have reached 2000 at 30 years, but I doubt he was able to maintain that number.

Anyway, after searching high and low, he is the only one that I have ever found to reach this goal. From what I can find, if someone could reach 2000 at 30 with a stable population I think it would be a world record.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

RedKetchup

there are some experts in here like @irrelevant , @Trizeropz , @Nilla ... they can probably say something about it :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

That would really be something to see.  If I remember right, there was a challenge a few months ago to get the highest population with health and happiness as high as possible, and I think that was limited to somewhere around 30 years.  That may also been the challenge where only boarding houses could be used, but I can't remember for sure.  At any rate, it seems that most of the populations were approaching 1000, but hadn't quite made it.  To get to 2000 in 30 years seems like it would require explosive growth from the very start, and I doubt just any old map would be able to support it.

Nilla

I haven't been very active lately on this page but now I made a fast look and saw this thread.

Of cause it's possible to get 2000 inhabitants in less than 30 years. In my fastest game I had 4800 inhabitants in summer 30. In this game I used a couple of mods; none of them increase the population growth or the number of nomads. I blogged it: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=671.0

4800 inhabitant were not sustainable but I guess about 3500 would have been. I also think 5000 would have been sustainable if I had used a big map. I used a medium map in this fast game because I wanted to reduce the lags.

Another question is, if it's possible to build this fast without mods? I don't know. In this fast game I used the 3-store-houses from @slink. They need very little building materials and take much less space then normal houses. So the biggest problem to build fast in an unmodded game will be to get enough building materials.

irrelevant

One key to getting huge pop fast is to forget about education from the very beginning. No schools. This means that your Bannies will form families as early as age ten. This results in them breeding like rabbits.

Of course, no education brings its own challenges, but nothing is unmanageable if you know what is coming.

@Nilla I'm sure this would be possible without mods. Maybe I'll give that a go. I've run out of ideas for challenging unmodded towns.

Nilla

@irrelevant, that's funny. I had the same idea. I haven't played Banished since before Christmas and really like to start an interesting new game.

I went to this page now, to "steal" a suitable map to start with. I'm a bit too lazy to search random. Just found one of yours; 160785085 from the 100 people challenge.

As you say; first key for a fast game is no schools and the second is the right map with a lot of children from the start. Your map had 12 children. I know there are maps with a few more, but 12 is good enough.

I might start the game later. I'll let you know how it works.

Oenanthe

I don't think I have ever had a population of over 1000 let alone 2000, so this could be rather interesting, and knowing what my towns are like a real test of crisis management.

No mods, large map, easy start, and just for the hell of it, disasters on.

I doubt I will get anywhere near it, but it should be fun.

RedKetchup

and us we dont sleep anymore, we dont have life anymore.....

to make mods for you guys :S

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 14, 2016, 12:52:44 PM

We know you're doing it cause you love it ;D

Quote from: Nilla on February 14, 2016, 02:21:48 AM
I went to this page now, to "steal" a suitable map to start with. I'm a bit too lazy to search random. Just found one of yours; 160785085 from the 100 people challenge.
I forgot about that map, yes, that was a very nice starting situation.

Quote from: Nilla on February 14, 2016, 02:21:48 AMAs you say; first key for a fast game is no schools and the second is the right map with a lot of children from the start. Your map had 12 children. I know there are maps with a few more, but 12 is good enough.
I know you are right about starting out with the max number of children, but I just don't have the patience to look through very many seeds before I get bored with it.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on February 14, 2016, 02:35:45 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on February 14, 2016, 12:52:44 PM

We know you're doing it cause you love it ;D

i know right :P
i never played that game since lol

Nilla

I started a fast game. Haven´t played much yet, so there´s not much to tell. But I can already say; this game will be a challenge. I´ll show you 2 pictures.

First picture

100 inhabitants to about the same time as we made it in that 100 challenge. I didn´t pay attention at the time, but it´s 108 inhabitants in winter 7. As expected; the problem is building materials. I try to use the wood from orchards. I think it´s quite an efficient way to increase the log-supply.

Second picture

10 years played. I will build up a trading economy, but it´s not easy to produce enough to sell, with the uneducated work force.

Oenanthe

So far I'm on my third attempt at this, each time i seem to get to about the 10 year mark and only about 120 peeps and start to suffer serious food, firewood, building materials and tool shortages.

I know i've struck unlucky a couple of times with starting positions but I take what i get and try and work with it.

My latest attempt has been with a medium start rather than an easy start and it does seem to actually be going better.

This is everything against my normal building style, I normally start hard or often Adam and Eve and build slow and steady, keeping resources and education high and only putting in a new house when i know i can support it.

Nilla

Yes. @Oenanthe, I understand your problem. Here we combine two difficult things; fast growth with uneducated people. You have to be much more ahead of everything, than in an ordinary game. The uneducated people are the worse. As I understand, you are new on this page but a while ago @irrelevant made a very good calculation; how much less the uneducated produce. Maybe you didn´t see it. I´m sorry, I can´t find it, but maybe he knows where he wrote it.

The worse things using uneducated are tools, clothes, mines and quarries. (as I remember). Some advice; try to use the original educated workers as good as possible and build no mines and no quarries, buy all stones and iron. If you look at my first picture; I have built the blacksmith and the tailor surrounded by the 5 initial houses. I also produce as much tools as I can at the beginning (I even store some in a trading port, to save space in the barn).

In any case, I played another 5 years. In fact it was 8-9 because I tried to build stone houses, but I couldn´t produce enough goods to buy enough stones. So I went back to year 10 and this time it worked out better. 400 inhabitants in spring 15. It´s even faster than in my Doolin. Pretty exhausting. I´ve started to play a lot in speed X1. I remember I did that in Doolin as well.:) ??? :P

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on February 18, 2016, 02:33:49 AM
Yes. @Oenanthe, I understand your problem. Here we combine two difficult things; fast growth with uneducated people. You have to be much more ahead of everything, than in an ordinary game. The uneducated people are the worse. As I understand, you are new on this page but a while ago @irrelevant made a very good calculation; how much less the uneducated produce. Maybe you didn´t see it. I´m sorry, I can´t find it, but maybe he knows where he wrote it.
It's here: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=727.0
The worse things using uneducated are tools, clothes, mines and quarries. (as I remember). Some advice; try to use the original educated workers as good as possible and build no mines and no quarries, buy all stones and iron. If you look at my first picture; I have built the blacksmith and the tailor surrounded by the 5 initial houses. I also produce as much tools as I can at the beginning (I even store some in a trading port, to save space in the barn).
Re: tools, I did exactly the same thing ;)
In any case, I played another 5 years. In fact it was 8-9 because I tried to build stone houses, but I couldn´t produce enough goods to buy enough stones. So I went back to year 10 and this time it worked out better. 400 inhabitants in spring 15. It´s even faster than in my Doolin. Pretty exhausting. I´ve started to play a lot in speed X1. I remember I did that in Doolin as well.:) ??? :P
@Nilla With 400 in 15 years, I think you will easily get 2000 in 30 years, more likely in 25-26 years

I am also trying this. I am behind you in pop, with only 202 in 17 years, but I think I will make it, as my pop has doubled in 3.75 years. At that rate I will reach 2000 in late year 30.

irrelevant

Quote from: Oenanthe on February 17, 2016, 10:37:59 AM
My latest attempt has been with a medium start rather than an easy start and it does seem to actually be going better.
I also find that a "medium" start is almost always easier than "easy".  ;D