News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Population above 2000 at year 30 a possible goal?

Started by jeffmikl, February 11, 2016, 10:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

My village is around year 12 and just entered a tools crisis.  It is my own fault.  I have lots of iron, but overdeveloping shelter has run me out of wood for building.  Think I'll have to scrap this one and try again.  My population just crossed 200.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on February 21, 2016, 11:43:54 AM
My village is around year 12 and just entered a tools crisis.  It is my own fault.  I have lots of iron, but overdeveloping shelter has run me out of wood for building.  Think I'll have to scrap this one and try again.  My population just crossed 200.
It's always our own fault; that's one of the great things about this game.  ;)

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: irrelevant on February 21, 2016, 12:38:28 PM
Yes.  That's why I play this and SimCity 4.  The basic difference is it is much harder to lose at SC4, because it doesn't kill off all your Sims, just your treasury.  Neither game really has a way to "win".

I am really hoping that Luke gets his Linux native mode version working sometime soon.  Running this program using the windows JIT layer causes it to be very slow because of a glitch in wine's multiprogramming capability.  The wine console always has the following as a final curse, just before the game starts:
Quoteerr:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
I suppose some day, the developers will get around to this, but I am not holding my breath.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on February 21, 2016, 12:38:28 PM

Agree

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on February 21, 2016, 02:54:23 PM
Neither game really has a way to "win".

I´m not sure I agree fully on that. If I make myself a really hard challenge, like this 2000 inhabitants as fast as I can, and somehow manage, it feels like a "win". The difference to many other games is, that you have to set these goals for yourself. I like that. I don´t need the computer to tell me when I win.

Talking about winning; I might be on my way to "win" this game. I manage to survive another two years. It´s still close on the edge of failing, but that´s good. It only shows that I´m close to what´s possible. That´s exactly what I wanted.

There is some starvation every spring-summer. That helps to stop the population growth. I micromanage the fields; start the harvest early and move farmers to neighbor-fields, when everything is harvested. The first few students just graduated from school. If I survive a couple of more years, the education will give in an increasing production and the problems will be solved.

irrelevant

One thing I just remembered doing in another town was to fake-demolish lots of houses during the winter and open them back up in the spring. This reduces firewood consumption tremendously, would leave more firewood for trade.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: irrelevant on February 22, 2016, 06:51:08 AM
One thing I just remembered doing in another town was to fake-demolish lots of houses during the winter and open them back up in the spring. This reduces firewood consumption tremendously, would leave more firewood for trade.
When you evict these people, where do they go?  Do you let them freeze/starve to reduce the surplus population, Ebenezer?  Or do you have workhouses?

irrelevant

Hehheh, the homeless guys warm up at other Bannies homes, and they get food from barns. Other than that they go on working just like normal.

A Nonny Moose

These are the chains you forge on line.  Getting longer and more onerous as time goes by ....

Repent!

Actually, that's not a bad idea but my game runs so slowly I don't need yet another complication.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on February 22, 2016, 06:51:08 AM

That might be a good idea. Just one thing; What is with the farming in spring? I have noticed that if you build new fields, the first years harvest is mostly bad. I explain this to the fact, that the game hasn't reorganized the living space for these new farmers perfect yet. They might still live far away, even if I try to build and staff new fields in early winter. If you make a lot of people homeless, do they live at the right spot immediately, as they get some place to live? A good harvest is necessary to survive in this game. So, I don't know if I would dare to make it that way.

Anyhow I didn't read about your trick, until after I was out of the crisis. I got a little help from scarlet fiver to stop the population growth. Mean as I am, I sacked the doctors as soon as the disease occurred.  :-\ :-[

The food production has increased every year, without new fields. 40% of the population is now educated. It's a big difference. I have plenty of firewood, I reopened most breweries. I even started to build some new houses.

Yes, to my surprise, this was a sustainable settlement!

Oenanthe

Year 16 of my latest attempt and population having just topped 300, the best so far.  Only a couple of problems so far.

I suffered my normal tool shortage, it reached the point when about a quarter of the working population were coping without tools before i realised I had an emergency supply stored away in the Trading post, over 4 times the number of tools needed.  I then had the food shortage, up to that point my food stocks were going well normally  between 8 and 12 thousand units.  I suddenly realised that it was down to about 500 units.  I don't know quite what happened i was too busy watching the great sheep migration as they crossed mountains and rivers to reach new pastures, not quite the African migration of the Wildebeast, but my 5 sheep were important to me.  Fortunately the harvest and a fortuitous trader saved the day.

I have noticed a few things.  My builders are definitely working to type.  They normally seem to gather as many as possible at the least prepared building, even if there is one with the foundations finished next to it, and then just hang around waiting for the labourers to turn up with the logs and stone, standing around, leaning on shovels, drinking tea, typical builders.

I also added a brewers purely to sell the ale to the traders, however there is a distinct discrepancy between the amount of ale produced and the amount that ends up in the trading post.  I have some secret drinkers somewhere in the comunity, unfortunately there isn't an excise officer that I can send out to investigate.

irrelevant

@Oenanthe if your guys are drinking your ale, it's because you aren't collecting it fast enough. To pull it into your TPs quickly, increase the number of traders you have, and make sure the desired inventory level in each one is high enough that you won't reach it easily.

My town isn't going to make it. Year 25 and only pop 501. I made a mistake back in year ~18, I took in some nomads that I should not have done, and immediately had food and tool problems. In addition, that map really wasn't ideal for this challenge, to many terrain constraints on growth.

I'm going to start over with a different seed. Thinking of doing an easy start, despite the six starting houses which I hate. Starting out with sheep and more children would likely more than make up for that. I may just knock down 3-4 of the houses and rebuild them in better spots, houses are cheap.

Nilla

Sorry for you guys, that you didn't make it this time. It's the right spirit; try again.

I will try to give you some advice.

@Oenanthe; A food store of 8-12 k isn't safe at all, when the population is over 100. You might survive, but you have to struggle. It's not easy to get big stores with uneducated people, but food must always be the main priority. You can't feel safe, unless you have a store of 100*your population.

And yes; it's easy to get distracted by all funny things that happens in this game; like sheep walking across the land, up the mountains, under water........I'm always quite intrigued by how they hook up, divorce and these "goosip" things.

@irrelevant; don't tear any houses up. They are too valuable. In this game; forget all about a "perfect" game, a perfect location. I always admire your settlements, your building style, it's perfect. But in a really fast game, you have to paint with a bigger brush. This game can't be perfect. Forget the perfect locations, forget some of your barns, forget the graveyards, focus on the important things; food, food, new homes, food, food, food, firewood, food, food, building materials, food, food, food, tools, food, food, food...... you know what I mean?

I liked the map I stole from you. I can recommend it.

I let my game run a few more years, but I've lost interest. I might make another try, too; really try to expand 30 years. Last time I tried to reach 2000 inhabitants as fast as possible and see if the settlement could survive. This time I will try to expand 30 years as fast as i can. Maybe make 3000!  :-\ ;) ;D

Oenanthe

Year 18, population 370, and it is apparent that I am never (or at least not in the time scale) going to recover from the food shortage.  I haven't enough firewood for trade and barely enough logs for building, coats and tools are in very short supply so it doesn't look like i can trade my way out of the predicament.  I think the best option is to start over.  I have learnt a lot from this attempt and hopefully my next town will fair even better.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on February 24, 2016, 02:42:00 AM

@irrelevant; don't tear any houses up. They are too valuable. In this game; forget all about a "perfect" game, a perfect location. I always admire your settlements, your building style, it's perfect. But in a really fast game, you have to paint with a bigger brush. This game can't be perfect. Forget the perfect locations, forget some of your barns, forget the graveyards, focus on the important things; food, food, new homes, food, food, food, firewood, food, food, building materials, food, food, food, tools, food, food, food...... you know what I mean?

I liked the map I stole from you. I can recommend it.

You're right about the houses, it makes a huge difference in pop leaving them up.  ;)

Yes, you stole a good one!  ;D

Going to try again, with another familiar map, the one I used for Rickettsville. It's a good easy start with sheep and beans, and 12/11. I did find a map with sheep and 12/14, but the map is only so-so.

Nilla

I wish you luck, @irrelevant. The map seems nice. I looked for a map, too. I think I looked at 10 different maps. (map search is not my favorite occupation). Finally I took one, halfway decent and started a new game.

+++: 12 children, 3 couples 9-7 years old, a good starting position, a good future trading area close to the starting position, wheat
- - - : no real good map with no big farming area, 3 big lakes with no connection to the river, cows, potatoes

I've played 10 years. A little bit faster than my first game. I don't really know why. Maybe this time, there is a better balance between boys and girls. I got 21 nomads instead of 12. But that's no big difference. On the other hand I've already had 4 childbirth deaths in this game. I can't remember that there was any of them early in the other game.

First picture

Like you, @Oenanthe, I don't have much to trade. (The tools are certainly not for trade, I only store them to save space in my barns). Here I want to buy the steel tools and the cheap, not yet ordered stones. But I only have 200 firewood in each port. So I let the merchant wait, empty the other two ports and let all traders carry enough firewood into this port. All tricks needed to halfway manage.  :-\ ;)

Second picture

200 inhabitants in 10 years; really fast. Here's the reason for the good food situation; very "aggressive" farm expansion. The big orchards aren't mainly for food, but for logs. I plant them, take the farmer away until it's fully grown, harvest one year and than I delete the orchard, clear the area and have plenty of logs. Later; when I can buy enough logs to make enough firewood, to buy more logs..... the area will be change into more productive fields.

Third picture

A food graph to my liking.