News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Citizens can't be forced to keep jobs. Randomly change

Started by jeffmikl, February 19, 2016, 02:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffmikl

I spent quite a lot of time trying to get my citizens to keep specific jobs, but they always change after a short time.

For example, I paid close attention to my students, waiting for them to get a job. When they did, I forced them to become woodcutters. I made sure that they were at a home very close to the job location (woodcutter building). Even though I did this, most of the people eventually changes to another job; mostly traders. A few have stayed as woodcutters, but moved to a different location, meaning they were now living far from their job, which make no sense at all. I spent several days trying to stop this from happening but it has not. At this point, I have given up and accepted that the game decides what job they become and you have my control. Boo!

Jeff

RedKetchup

the game engine shuffle your citizens jobs once and a while. cant control it.
maybe personally you find some citizens doesnt have the right job place, but the game sees the overall and should take the best decision on overall your city (should be, i know it is not perfect)

of course the total overall job assignments is always subject of jobs available and your workers available for each zone.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: jeffmikl on February 19, 2016, 02:34:25 PMaccepted that the game decides what job

Where people live and work is nor really in your control - consider that there is a lot of people dying, giving birth, getting out of school, getting married (again)... so there is a lot of shuffling going on all the time. On top of that, builders are assigned (temporary) homes near their construction sites, which adds to the general "chaos". Personally I find that the game does a pretty good job reassigning homes/jobs - it just takes a while sometimes for the AI to catch up.

If it runs really bad you may need to shuffle peeps around "by hand", e.g. if you get caught in a massive old-age-gap - I rather concentrate on avoiding those.

:)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

salamander

I wonder if the approach of occasionally kicking everyone out of their homes then letting them re-settle would 'force' the AI into a fresh, almost global, reassignment that might be better.  It may be that the little piece-meal assignments that go with worker assignments and builders etc... add up over time to the chaos @Paeng mentioned.

It can be a pain to do, but might be useful to you if it works.

irrelevant

Quote from: salamander on February 20, 2016, 04:42:30 AM
I wonder if the approach of occasionally kicking everyone out of their homes then letting them re-settle would 'force' the AI into a fresh, almost global, reassignment that might be better.  It may be that the little piece-meal assignments that go with worker assignments and builders etc... add up over time to the chaos @Paeng mentioned.

It can be a pain to do, but might be useful to you if it works.

Just be aware that if you do this, you will also be moving your students around. Their school assignments will not change, they could wind up with long walks to school.

salamander

Quote from: irrelevant on February 20, 2016, 06:41:12 AM
Just be aware that if you do this, you will also be moving your students around. Their school assignments will not change, they could wind up with long walks to school.
Right ... I was thinking of doing this the way you described for the Boarding House challenge a while back: opening and closing schools to shuffle the students at the same time as everyone else into their closest school.

A Nonny Moose

I've sort of accepted the way the AI makes job assignments.  Skills don't stick to any given bannie, and they all seem to be totipotent (chameleons). and can change their spots at the behest of the game.  I guess they are all polymaths.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

Quote from: salamander on February 20, 2016, 07:08:40 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on February 20, 2016, 06:41:12 AM
Right ... I was thinking of doing this the way you described for the Boarding House challenge a while back: opening and closing schools to shuffle the students at the same time as everyone else into their closest school.
@salamander I agree, you would want to shuffle the schools immediately after shuffling dwellings.

That was @rkelly17's idea, I just documented doing it.