News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Horses need stables?

Started by mrbisonm, February 22, 2016, 10:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on February 29, 2016, 06:01:27 AM
Horses are perfectly good meat animals.  Ask the French.

The North American culture sees horses as pets, and we don't eat dogs and cats either.  (except for the occasional roof rabbit).

Steak de cheval is yummy! ;)

RedKetchup

it is called: "viande chevaline"
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

Before you all go 'culinaire', is there any free-standing horse mod, except for trade-horses?
(not using CC)

RedKetchup

Paeng

Quote from: kid1293 on February 29, 2016, 10:11:24 AMis there any free-standing horse mod, except for trade-horses?

I only know the ones in CC - either as a pasture beast, or in a special mod as a trade item. There are also about 5 or 6 horses (with different colors) in the decorations tab (pure plops, also available as "ghost" decorations)...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

Actually, horses as simple pasture beasts is rather disappointing.  If you have horses you should be able to use them as farm beasts to increase productivity in plowing fields, hauling cargo, etc.  I've missed them from the beginning.

I suppose this would take a huge revision of the program itself and not just a mod, since it requires a general culture change.  Even in hard mode, the cart should arrive with at least one horse to pull it.  The initial premise appears to be that the cart is drawn by the bannies themselves, which is quite plausible, but a horse could also solve many problems including fertilizer.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

kid1293

I guess they ate them already? ???

I agree that any beast of burden could enhance the game.
We can't even use the vendors cart...

mrbisonm

Yeah, those carts can't be moved although that it has wheels, a thing that I found ridiculous right from the beginning.

Btw, we eat a lot of horsemeat in our family since centuries. Born in Sweden, raised in Germany and living in Québec/Canada are places where the "viande chevaline" is commonly available, quite expensive too. In Quebec the horsemeat cannot be sold publically with other meats such as beef or porc, but has to be either totally sealed off airtight in general foodstores (épiceries) or sold in specialized stores together with other restricted meats, such as caribou, rabbits, wild boar, red stag, etc. That's the law here.
I love the horsemeat because it ressembles a lot like moose (not the Nonny Moose kind though ;) ), which I go hunting every year.

In my new game I just bought horses from the trader. and they were able to be placed into pastures. Now I will have to wait until I have enough and see what happens.
So, this is clearly a fact that there were some conflicts with other mods in my previous games. Unfortunetly I have a lot less diversity available ingame, so eventually I will go back with the former mod quantity I had before once I am finished with this one.

Fred

RedKetchup

so, at least you discovered that was a mod conflict. just need to know which one and kick the culprit :)

horsemeat has same status as ostrich, lamb, rabbit, and etc. exotic flavor lol

mrbisonm

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 01, 2016, 01:31:24 AM
...just need to know which one and kick the culprit :)

lol...yeh, it'll take a whole evening to find that one......

Fred

Paeng

Quote from: mrbisonm on February 29, 2016, 07:51:20 PMUnfortunetly I have a lot less diversity available ingame

Really? I must say that I reduced my load of mods tremendously, between CC and NMT there is not much that I miss... On the other hand, I know of very few mods that are truly incompatible (in a game-breaking sense) - in many cases it might just be a problem with load order (?)...

Plus I may add that Banished is a bit picky about changes you make in a running game - adding and/or removing mods in an established town is far more "dangerous" than we are used to, e.g. from SC... I found it most reliable to choose the wanted mods before starting a new game and then stick to that. Adding more mods later may work, as long as they are not mods that heavily alter mechanics... but I definitely avoid removing mods from a running game, even if I have not yet built any structures with them.

mrbisonm

Quote from: Paeng on March 01, 2016, 05:33:17 AM
... but I definitely avoid removing mods from a running game, even if I have not yet built any structures with them.

That's exactly the reason why I haven't done this yet. I am playing three games regularily. Once they're finished I will do what you recommend and do some "heavy" cleaning. One thing I will hate is the working order in the "loading tree". How will I know which is what and where is why.......

We'll see how that goes, meanwhile I play with the "whole mess" which seems to work sooooo perfectly at the moment without ever having had a crash......

Fred

Paeng

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 01, 2016, 07:05:27 PMHow will I know which is what and where is why...

I know, I still struggle with that once in a while, too... ::)

First thing is to wrap your head around the fact that Banished loads the "wrong" way around - items on top of the mod list load last (opposite to SC). So everything you load above CC will have priority. In most cases though 3rd party stuff goes below CC.

Dig through the Krazy Kave - dozens of mods that address those little things that much older mods used to do, but the KK items usually are  cleaner (code-wise), and have instructions about load order, too.
http://www.colonialcharter.com/index.php/forum/kralyergs-kave-of-krazy-kontraptions

A special case are the NMT items - thanks to strong cooperation, they work well both ways, either above or below CC... so here you truly have a choice, set the one on top that you want to have preference. Here is a good list to help you decide -
http://www.colonialcharter.com/index.php/forum/help-support/2427-cc-1-6-compatibility-with-nmt-2-01

My recommendation would be to run for a while with nothing but CC and NMT, see what you really miss, if any.
Then add just buildings, like the items from EmbX, Kid1293, Afwings and so on - things that don't screw around with the numbers too much...
Later add things that really heavily change mechanics like age, school time and so on... your mileage may vary, but with those you really need to check whether the long-term effects are what you need/want.

Last - personally I stay away from all the (risky?) little cheats that just add "more of this and more of that"... specially if you use CC and NMT, there should be no need for those, it's more fun to really work out all the different production chains  ;)

mrbisonm

Thanks for the recommendations and the linkies, Paeng. Just one question though, what is NMT (or what does it stand for)? Seen it a few times.

Fred

RedKetchup