Is population of 3000 by year 30 even a realistic goal? - No mods or cheats

Started by jeffmikl, February 27, 2016, 12:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffmikl

Several weeks ago I was trying to determine if it were possible to reach a population of 2000 by year 30 with a stable town, not just after getting nomads (which is something I saw from another player). I would not count a nomad influx unless it stabilizes since there is a good chance it will wipe the town. Anyway, after a number of lessons learned I am thinking that I just may advance that goal and try to reach 3000 or even 3500 by year 30. This is on a straight "out of the box" game with no mods or any changes.

I wonder if that is even possible or has ever been reached. If I can keep my town together as it currently stands I should hit 1800 by the end of year 25. I was at 1000 by the end of 22, so 800 more population in 3 years puts me on a good pace to go deep into the 2000's.

Jeff

Nilla

If would be nice to see some screenshots from your town @jeffmikl. I wish you best luck with the following years.

If you read your initial thread, you can see, that I made 2000 inhabitants in early spring 24. The settlement was sustainable (I survived another 5 years).
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1116.msg21511#msg21511

This settlement, built this way, couldn't have been expanded to 3000 or more, but I have just started a new game. I will build 30 years, as fast as I can and use a slightly different strategy, with a goal to reach at least 3000. I will start fast and than slow the population growth down, as I reach 1000 inhabitants or something like that. We'll see if it works. I'll let you know. The problem is to increase the food production/food import, as fast as the population grows this fast.

Nilla

Is a population over 3000 in 30 years possible?   YES!

Is a population over 4000 in 30 years possible?  YES!

Is a population over 5000 in 30 years possible?   YES!

Is a population over 6000 in 30 years possible?   YES! I just didn't make it (this time?). I was close and made some mistakes, that slowed things down, so I'm sure it's possible.

No mods, no cheats, vanilla game.

Is an even higher population possible in such a short time? A bit yes, but probably not much. The problem with these big settlements are, that people don't change jobs, to get close to their working place. The program doesn't even choose the closest available worker, when a new workplace is occupied (or an old workplace reoccupied) The farmer/chopper/tailor........ could live across the map, so the production gets down quite dramatically. @irrelevant has described this in his Sink Mill blog. The same thing with the builders, they could live everywhere on the map, so the building speed gets down too.

Is this settlement sustainable? It depends on what you mean. I would survive a couple of more years, but I suppose not until the population starts to get down "naturally". I let it run another year but it´s no fun anymore, so I will not prove one or another.

What was my strategy for this fast game?
-No schools
-A house for every possible couple as fast as possible
-A lot of trade with firewood (and a little meat).
-Import of logs, fruit, grain, cheap proteins, tools, stones, (ordered) and some wool and iron (not ordered)
-Automatic trading
-Farming; only beans
-A lot of small spread stockpiles; let the traders distribute the logs.

I made one big mistake: I built too few trading ports the first 15 years. I have built big settlements before, with a lot of trade, but always with ale as main trading good. You could easily support 100 people with only trade from one port. With firewood you need a lot of more, to get enough logs. It takes time to get the orders working. From time to time, I had too few logs. This slowed the building of new houses. I was almost 1 year behind the fastest game.

Here some proof:

irrelevant

@Nilla this is truly amazing. I tried twice and was not able to get to 2k by year 30. Got withing striking distance, 1700 in year 28, but a food crisis flattened out the pop curve.

I am just so locked into my usual thing. I have another town started, and will try to swerve out of my rut, using your suggestions.  :D ;)

950 woodcutters!! :o ;D

And 71 TPs, takes a special map for that.

Nilla

Yes, @irrelevant. I think it's quite amazing myself. And this map is perfect for a trade based economy. Map seed 291285076. I had a note, that this was a good map seed for trade. I don't know anymore, if I've seen it somewhere, or if I just found it.

I know that it's not easy for you to build very fast. You build too good! Too perfect! You can't do that, if you want to develop fast.