News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing the North6

Started by Nilla, December 10, 2017, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

@kid1293  that is a surprise.so i either been lucky or the bannies have been very helpful all this time.my villages with schools i can understand but one would think my forester workers would have troubles since they would travel so far. i like the balance. by time they finish school they are old enough to start families.so far it has been normally about 16.
      i think NILLA does these riddles just to confuse me.

it has been an interesting journey the last few years to watch this mod deveop.TOM has changed a lot and has constantly made new buildings.the game has progresses and there have been several improvements the last couple years.for TOM,the other modders,and even LUKE himself.the new flags and extended building requirements,the better gathering systems,better water,more and improved textures,TOM's workplace farmers and wild-quickhunters,new plants and forests,plus many more changes have made the game better each year.
      TOM and NILLA both have a lot of time invested. you both should be proud of the accomplishment. i hope some of the ideas are expanded so they work in other maps. like the random trader values. there are others. i have not had a chance to test yet. then i will be able to say more.

Nilla

Of cause! One of my favourite occupations is to make @brads3 confused! ;) ;D

This time you are right and wrong! Confusing enough?

This (and other mods) makes this game still interesting. (right)

I have no big part in that. (wrong)

The price of goods isn't random. They have two values; one high (the same as if you buy without order) and one 25-100 % lower depending on the goods. Different merchant have a different "policy" about their prices. (wrong)

Tom Sawyer

@Nilla I try to understand what exactly made auto purchasing almost impossible in your game or what needs to be changed. Actually it should be even better because of more flags to select what you need. Salt or glass as auto imports for example. That you cannot sell always only to the best price in auto mode is ok I think. It's the extra profit by active trading and would also work without when looking at your successful economy. With the capacity I like to stay with reasonable values compared to barns. Maybe the boats are a bit overloaded. Also, trading ports with bigger storehouses would be good.

Nilla

You're right @Tom Sawyer , that this settlement could afford to sell more goods to the lower price. Even if it hurts a "true Västgöte" every time a bad deal is made. ;) That's not, what I meant, when I wrote, that it's almost impossible. The problem is, that very little "export goods" are sold. The main export is a surplus of various products, that are needed in the settlement. I know, how difficult it is in a vanilla game to auto trade firewood. You need a massive overproduction, otherwise, you will land in a lack of firewood from time to time. At least, that's my experience, mainly from full maps of different size, with and without mods.

Here I start the trade by giving away one or a few products, I have much too much of and just need to get rid of, no matter the price. At the end, it was mostly only salted meat but this has varied during the 100 years. If I want to buy more, after these products are gone, I look if the merchant pay a high price for something. I check the store of this product, to see, if I have enough to refill the port (unless it's glassware and woolcoats, my "for export only" goods). Often I know quite well without looking the store situation of the important goods, like steel tools. If there's not enough of such goods, I use coins. It wouldn't work to give away these things randomly. Sometimes I guess, it could, but to other times, my barns would be (even more) overfilled with meat but empty of tools, clothing and herbs.

And autopurchase of coins? I don't know. It could very well happen, that coins were used as payment. What sense does that make?

I will not say that it's totally impossible to autotrade in the North. But the production has to be planned for that from the start. What might have worked in this game could be a mixed way: Autopurchase for food with only coins and "get rid of goods" as payment at some ports and other ports used primary as export ports, to get the coins to fill the import ports. (and maybe for some emergency import). I guess a few more ports would have been needed but it could work. 

In this game I mostly buy food; grain, vegetables, fruit and from time to time a little fuel, some iron bloom, iron and leather. So all the different possible flags to order, don't help.

Yes, the boats can bring a lot. I guess, you may get more offered, than the small port could hold, even if it was empty. But at the moment I often buy all food they bring. Less food on each boat, would have meant more ports. But yes, probably more realistic. If the merchants who come to the big ports with daler brought more money, this "mixed system" I talked about earlier, would be easier; you would need less ports, to sell what you need, to be able to import, what you need at other ports. But on the other hand; if the boat is too small to bring a lot of goods, it's also too small to buy a lot. There has to be some kind of balance.

Now we must also realize, that this is an unusual game. I guess, not many Nordic games, is played without farming. I find it better to make the mod work good in a more "normal" settlement. If anyone choose to play on "harsh", it should be possible to build a large settlement, but we have to accept difficulties of different kind; micromanage farming, manual trading....... Not that bad! Or maybe some other time I (or someone else, cleverer than me) find a way to make this in a better way. What's the fun, if everything go easy, the first time you try.  :-\

oldgraywolf

Sorry to revive this, but Nilla, I was wondering if you would recommend this mod to a beginner like myself? I'm still getting used to game mechanics and learning how to survive the vanilla game, but after reading this blog I'm really interested in playing this version. Both the look and "feel" of this is very interesting to me.
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Great blog.  :)
I never lose. I either win or I learn.

Nilla

No problem @oldgraywolf, I'm happy that you like this blog. Thanks! :)

Yes, the North is very nice and definitely worth a try. It is different than a vanilla game but not necessarily harder. If you're a beginner, I wouldn't choose the harder options; like a "harsh" climate, where farming is very difficult or "survivor" start, where the people have absolutely nothing from the start. 

There are some production chains that makes the game a bit harder, as example; tool production has more steps. The trade is more complicated, with totally different prices of the goods and a possibility to use coins. In this version some professions has no "uneducated penalty", that's also unique. You also need to buy some things, like bricks before you can produce any bricks, that might be a bit confusing, but I assure you, no real problem.

If you start a game with a "mild" climate and one of the easier start conditions, lime "farmer", I'm quite sure, you will enjoy the game.

@Tom Sawyer has made some of these lovely buildings as stand alone mods, able to play in a vanilla game. That could be an alternative, if you don't want all the gameplay changes.

If you try this mod, don't hesitate to ask questions. @Tom Sawyer is a very nice person, he'll answer. I've tested this mod a lot and I will answer as good as I can, too.

One small advice, if you choose this mod; don't forget the "instant tools". Letting the laborers collect food, herbs and firewood, to hunt and fish in a small easy scale is very valuable at the beginning of a Nordic game.

oldgraywolf

Thanks for the response. I'm currently trying to get a small list of mods to try with a new game. I'm really interested in the DS line, both look and function, but I'm thinking I'll try the North as well. After reading this blog it seems to play slightly slower, at least in the beginning,  which might help me by giving me time to get a feel for the game.
Thanks again for the help, this forum has been a great find for me, loaded with information and helpful people to talk to. I'm glad this game is still alive and I've got the chance to enjoy it after finding it so late. ;D
I never lose. I either win or I learn.