irrelevant - Gnaw Bone: going for Mountain Men, Isolationist, and One w/ Nature

Started by irrelevant, September 25, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

This is the first time I've relied heavily on forest nodes for food as well as logs. It seems there is a delicate balance between the forester and the gatherer. The gatherer needs the forester, to keep the forest healthy and renewed, with goodies growing in the understory. But too much logging and the gatherer's output suffers (as does the herbalist's). More than two gatherers at a single hut seems to be unsustainable. Similarly, two foresters cutting and planting also seems to be unsustainable, even with minimal logging. If anyone has observations regarding this relationship, I'd be interested in your comments here.

irrelevant

No more annual updates. From now on only when there is something interesting....well interesting to me anyway  ;D

Markets 3 & 4, needed the storage space. Had to tear down a perfectly good but poorly-placed herbalist. Wouldn't mind so much except eventually I'll have to build another one there. I've been trying to figure out what I can trade when I reach 300 pop and can finally build TPs, then it hit me: herbs! I'll be able to stock up enough anyway to let me buy a big raft full of logs and start making firewood for trade.

The hideous quarry. I figure as long as that's there, I may as well build a coal mine and an iron mine over there too, once the stone's gone.

RedKetchup

are you really playing with all these windows open ? ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

@RedKetchup Yes, I don't have a town hall. No hospital yet either, I need to build that first. So expensive!

Although food and logs seem to be under control now; I should probably be watching the markets and barns instead.

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on September 29, 2014, 05:41:10 PM
This is the first time I've relied heavily on forest nodes for food as well as logs. It seems there is a delicate balance between the forester and the gatherer. The gatherer needs the forester, to keep the forest healthy and renewed, with goodies growing in the understory. But too much logging and the gatherer's output suffers (as does the herbalist's). More than two gatherers at a single hut seems to be unsustainable. Similarly, two foresters cutting and planting also seems to be unsustainable, even with minimal logging. If anyone has observations regarding this relationship, I'd be interested in your comments here.

I can only say what I have said before (on the official forum), which wasn't very popular at all.

Based on observation, I prefer to have herbalists and sometimes also gatherers separated from the forester nodes (which usually include a hunter and sometimes a woodcutter). Smack them all together, and the first few years are productive, but after that there isn't as much time for undergrowth to develop as the trees are cut down when they are mature. Due to this, output from herbalists and even gatheres fall, sometimes a lot. From ~100 herbs a year, I can see 10-20. Therefore I try to separate the different nodes, if I have the space for it.

irrelevant

I agree with you, but on this map, I need to have all three in pretty much every clump of trees on the map. This takes a lot of micromanagement, juggling which herbalists are in operation, how many foresters are at each hut, whether cutting is turned on or off, how many gatherers at each hut, etc.

I have 1 or 2 foresters at each hut while I'm cutting and planting, when I turn cutting off I may go up to 3 or 4. Gatherers I have 1 to 3 per hut. Anything more intensive than this leads quickly to diminishing returns. Can't afford that on this map, all these nodes will have to produce steadily up to the very end.

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on September 30, 2014, 04:48:28 AM
I can only say what I have said before (on the official forum), which wasn't very popular at all.

Based on observation, I prefer to have herbalists and sometimes also gatherers separated from the forester nodes (which usually include a hunter and sometimes a woodcutter). Smack them all together, and the first few years are productive, but after that there isn't as much time for undergrowth to develop as the trees are cut down when they are mature. Due to this, output from herbalists and even gatheres fall, sometimes a lot. From ~100 herbs a year, I can see 10-20. Therefore I try to separate the different nodes, if I have the space for it.

How many herbs do you stock? I tend to keep it at 100 herbs per herbalist (I only use 1 herbalist per hut) and at that level they do fine whether part of a bigger forest village or on their own. My one herbalist seems to keep at least 500 citizens fully supplied and the number in storage almost never dips below 100. I've also seen gatherer items and even herbs grow alongside very young trees. Truthfully, lately I have been building my herbalists on the border between forest villages at the point where the hunter circles just touch one another (I don't overlap), but I don't see any difference from what I was doing. In either case I'm careful to harvest all stone and iron from the circles so that there is maximum space for trees, gatherer items and herbs. This is just my experience, others may have different experience.

Pangaea

I only use one herbalist per hut too. In my current town (the blog one), I was trading away herbs as we had 1000+ (with 4-5 herbalists) and it's worth a decent amount. Then at some point I noticed that our herbalists couldn't keep up with demand, without trading anything away, so I had to relocate some of them to non-forester forests. It's much better now, and we've got back from 6-700-ish to about 2000 in maybe 5 years. So in my experience there is a big difference. Others obviously have different experiences, but the way I build the towns (usually have four foresters per hut, both cutting and planting), the difference is so big that I much prefer to have different forest nodes for herbalists and foresters. Since I already have different nodes, I've also found that it's better to put gatherers with the herbalist instead of the foresters. The difference here isn't so large, but it does seem to be systematically better over time.

irrelevant

Early Spring 14 - pop 76

All but one of the original 10 adults has died. Made a new cemetery next to the quarry. So far, the quarry rocks (sorry). Producing just enough stone with four cutters (104 last year, first full year). Going to build an iron mine there as well, and possibly a coal mine farther along that same slope. Going to share 8-10 workers, swap them out back and forth as needed.

Started on a hospital. Not the best location, but locations are scarce on this map. Building a path thru the forest node, just to try to divert some traffic away from it.

South Vale forest nodes, extant and planned.

Feeling good enough about stone to think seriously about a town hall. Need three houses too, and two foresters.

Pangaea

Looks good so far, as we all expected I think ;) How many years have you had 50+ people now? It's 20 for Mountain Men, isn't it?

irrelevant

Yes, I went over 50 in year 9. Getting Mountain Men won't change anything though, Isolationist (300 pop) is the one I'm really looking towards, then I can build TPs.

irrelevant

Demolishing the original hunter's cabin. Kinda sad, it has been such a good producer. But that's where the Town Hall is going.

New Market. Three TPs will go here once I get Isolationist.

irrelevant

Town Hall just finished. Houses and Families :) Not bad for winging it for 16 years  8)

Time to start thinking about crossing the river. More TP sites over there if I need them.

Four years' worth of food.

irrelevant

Early Spring 18 - pop 92

Getting started across the river. Reluctant to build more houses, as I have three that are occupied by elderly widowers who might kick off at any moment. I suppose when they do I can always "upgrade" them, and recover them when I have more tenants. Really need more bodies on the other side of that bridge.

irrelevant

Uh-oh. Guess who's getting all A's ;)