News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Exploring the CC-mod

Started by Nilla, February 04, 2015, 03:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

It has been a while since I wrote something here. I haven´t played much lately, but yesterday I started a new game.  I downloaded the latest version of the CC-mod. I tried it once, as it was new, but didn´t like it. The balancing was one of the thing that really disturbed me. Since there has been a number of updates of the mod, I hope this has improved. So I will give it a new try and tell you my impressions. 

If you haven´t played this mod yet and want to explore the CC-buildings yourself, this will probably be a spoiler. Stop read it now!

I think I will structure this blog around the pictures.

First picture

The CC-mod has several new starting conditions, among others the Adam and Eve. That´s a nice one, so I will play that. I use a medium map (my favorite). The picture only shows the starting supply. I am not sure, but I think it is a bit different from the Adam and Eve mod, I have played before.

Second picture

What else is different from the start?

There are some orange and purple trees. No idea what that is. I don´t know any trees that look like that. The mod is called Colonial Charter, so it might be a way to show, that this is a new, far-away continent, with strange trees. On the top of the mountains there are only pine-trees. You cannot cut them down, but it looks nice. I also have the impression that there are more stones and iron than usual on this map. I don´t know if it belongs to the mod or if I was lucky, choosing a good map.

Of cause the menu is different. There are a lot of things to explore. There is plenty of food, fuel and tools for 2 people in the chart, so I have started to build a house. There are a number of new houses, but many of them need materials that aren´t available from the start. There is a small cheap one (Tiny Shack). It is very small and only for 3 people, and with these starting conditions; there have to be many babies. So I have built a normal wooden house and as next, there will be a normal gatherer.

Third picture

One problem with Adam and Eve is health. The harts gets away fast. We need more food diversity. So I let one of my people gather some berries, ok she also got some mushrooms, roots and onions as well, but berries (only blueberries in this far-away land, as far as I can see) are the important food. For protein (and leather) I built a hunter as next. After the hunter has killed one deer he has to do something else. Micromanagement is the word, if you start with Adam and Eve!

Nilla

I played a bit more yesterday and I will now continue to tell you a bit about it.

First picture

I was thinking about building a school. Is it possible to build it early enough to get education for all children? Is it possible to run the school with only two adults? You cannot micromanage the teacher. I think I could have built the school in time, but I don´t think it is possible to supply a family with only one adult, so I have decided, that the first two children (boy, girl) will stay uneducated.

The chart is almost full, so the next thing to build is a barn. I will also build an herbalist. The parents have only 3 harts health. I don´t really know, how bad it is it; how much it influences the productivity.

Second picture

I built the house for the uneducated couple in the forest. I don´t want them to spoil too much raw materials as woodcutters or toolmakers.

Here is something new:
There is something called crude tools. 2 wood 2 iron makes 6 tools. Seems like the productivity is really high. I got a lot of tools in a very short time. Unfortunately they seem to last very short, so I suppose for regular use the normal iron- later steel-tools are better. But it might be very useful, if you are running out of tools. At this point I also had an idea of using this tools to trade, but later I noticed that the trade value is only 2, so selling is a bad idea. Maybe it could be a strategy to buy them later, if you want to save iron. Something to think about. Nice! :)

If you have the raw materials, the tailor could make some new kind of clothes. Blacksmith and tailor could also both be upgraded.

Third picture

Little Natha, third child of the family is now attending school. Mama is teaching.

I have built an apiary. In the original mod, honey is an universal food, and could here replace grain, until I get some seeds or can buy some grain. It looks like it is still that way. The health is improving, even if I don´t have someone working as an herbalist. The apiary also produces bee wax. So far it is not used, but there is a candle maker. I will build one later.

There's a lot of storage and markets at the menu, but it seems like there´s only the original trading port. That´s the next thing I will build. I need some seeds and animals. I have also noticed, that the original barn can be upgraded. No need for that yet, but it might be a good thing, when the population grows.

Fourth picture

Now I have built a tiny shack. Yes, it is a really fitting name, only 2*3 squares of size and not very cozy. I will use it as a retirement home (max 3 people). So I "fake demolished" my first house (Lise will move in there with her brother as soon as she leaves school) and poor struggling Adam and Eve must finish their lives in that shed. I ought to be ashamed!  ;) :-[

irrelevant

@Nilla a very nice, compact early town. I shall be very interested to follow this, as I have not yet even downloaded any of the CC mods, and am curious to see how a CC town development compares with vanilla.

Nice work balancing the Adam and Eve start.

It is possible to get a school built in early spring, in time for a starting 9 year old to become a student. School placement is key, it needs to go south of the starting barn/stockpile http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=651.0. Also careful workforce management; it must be the only thing you are doing (except I also had two farms started, can't remember whether or not I paused them until after the mats were assembled), every worker is needed to move construction mats to the building site. The mats will be assembled very quickly, and you can then move the laborers to other tasks. Of course you were correct not to build one so early here.

Nilla

First picture

12 years has gone by and the population has reached the number of 16=normal starting population. Of cause there is a difference: We have many buildings. Among others a trading port.

There are other merchants than normal at the CC mod. First came a smuggler. He only sells booze and tobacco! Don´t think I will buy anything from him, ever. The second one is much better; the Company Merchant. He offers everything; seeds, animals, all products and raw materials, several hundred of different goods. This one brings lamp oil. We don´t need that now. I don´t know if I should order anything. In a normal game I use to order stones from the general goods guy at the start. But there is still plenty of stones close by, so I will wait and see.

I noticed another difference: Venison is only worth 1 in trade. So there is one excellent early trading good less. I don´t mind. In fact I find it good. I never really understood, why meat is so valuable. It is not really harder to produce than other food.

Opposite of the apiary I have built a chandlery.

Second picture

I thought that candles could be good to trade. Candles are worth 8, you got the beeswax as  byproduct. But unfortunately at the moment the chandlery is a waste of labor force. 30 wax give 4 candles, worth 32. Only ½ profit on each candle and the productivity is very low, less than 100 candles in a year for one worker. I´ll better let the candle maker do something else. I don´t know yet, what use there are for candles. Do they make people happier? But they don´t bring them into their hoses, so I don´t understand how. Maybe they are good for something, we´ll see later. For now they must do without candles. I will sell the beeswax.

Third picture

There are a lot of new merchants. Many of them quite useless at this point of the game: Fabrics and Fiber  (raw materials for clothes production), Greengrocer (fruit and vegetables), one brought some sheep (forgot the name) and here the Mercer ( brings only clothing).

I have no intention to build a big trading economy, but I do want to buy seeds from many of the new crops and probably some building materials. With all those different merchants, the useful ones will arrive too seldom. That´s the reason I built another trading port.

It is possible to build a fenceless pasture, where you can build your own fence later. There are several of possibilities. But it is a bit strange; the fenceless pasture costs the same amount of wood, as the normal one.  The new fences than cost materials again.

It looks like there is another small improvement in this mod. In a normal game, you don´t need any herdsman until the pasture is full. The sheep reproduce and produce the same amount of wool anyway. You only need him to slaughter. If I don´t have many free laborers, I normally don´t use any herdsman early. So I did here as well and my sheep all died. If it wasn´t just bad luck, I like the change. Why should you produce something without labor? I will examine this more, when we get some new animals.

Nilla

First picture

Here is a new building: The Shore House. You can dig for clay or sand (needed as a building material for some buildings and as raw material for brick, glass and maybe something else) but with this building you can also catch turtles or frogs, if you rather need food. Nice! I'll start with sand, because I want to make glass.

We haven't got any seeds yet. So the shadow behind the shore house is a third trading port.

Second picture

Here's another new merchant; Goods Importer, brings only protein.

Beside the new trading port is a Glassworks. It produces glass as a building material or glassware (bottles). Raw material is fuel and sand. But it seems to be bad business to produce glass (at least with firewood and sand).  8 Firewood and 25 sand give 8 glass. Value of the raw materials 8*4 + 25*1 =57. Value of the product 6*8=48. You can also use charcoal, coal or firebundle as fuel. Maybe one of them is better.

Third picture

I have now played 21 years.

We finally got some seeds. There is a seed merchant, called Planter, but he didn't show his face the first 10 years, or so. He brought corn. That's good, because we need grain, but it is also a bit boring, I wanted to plant something new. 

The picture shows a Bundling Shed, red arrow (not in use yet). The menu says:" organics are gathered and cut into useable bundles of fuel for fires". I didn't know what organics are, as I built it, but now I do: it is corn, sugar crane, hemp, bamboo or sorghum. I will increase the corn production as soon as I have more workers and try it.

We also have a charcoal burner (blue arrow). Charcoal is a very good trading good, even better than ale or firewood. 5 logs give 55 charcoal. The productivity is very high, a yearly production of more than 1000. Charcoal is worth 3 as a trading good. So a charcoal burner can give a trade profit of 3000 each year, with only 100 logs as input.

As next I will build a butcher. It's a bit strange, that a butcher can slaughter only one kind of animal. I will build a butcher for venison, that's the meat we have the most.

RedKetchup

euh.... i see in first picture a limit called : Material

did they really succeeded to add a fully working new limit ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 07, 2015, 06:05:23 PM
euh.... i see in first picture a limit called : Material

did they really succeeded to add a fully working new limit ?
@RedKetchup I think they replaced "coal" with "material."

RedKetchup

Nilla

It is not very useful, because material could be a lot of different things. Coal also includes in fuel and that's not very helpful eather.

RedKetchup

bah it allow 1 recycled ( coal + firewood in > fuel ) and then ( coal => material or other name)

Nilla

A few more years, a few new buildings.

First picture

1. Curing Barn - makes pipe tobacco from tobacco leaves. I bought some tobacco leaves to test it. 50 tobacco leaves give 11 pipe tobacco. A small profit if you sell it; input 50 output 66. Didn't have enough leaves to test the productivity. Tobacco increases happiness same as alcohol.

2. Charcoal Burner - veeeery profitable, see last blog

3. Glassworks- bad economy to let it work, see last blog

4. Inn and Garden: If you produce alcohol or tobacco you need this building. It seems like the people no longer go to the brewery to get their ale, they only go to this inn. I first thought that if you produce it for export , you don't need this building. But as far as I can see, the traders doesn't get it directly at the production site either.

I am not sure what the consequences are, if you want to build a big trade settlement. If you want to sell a lot of ale. Maybe you don't need so many traders to run around to all breweries to collect small amounts of ale. But you can have a maximum of 4 "Ale Wenches" in each inn. So it might be a bit tricky to sell a lot of ale. Might be a good thing. (if it wasn't for the much too profitable charcoal)

Second picture

Overview of the new part of the settlement in the year of 26.

Now I know what the orange trees are: Maples. Are there really orange maples in summer in life? There are two types of orchards: standard and dense. I will build one of each close to each other to compare them.

Between the maples and the market is a Brickworks. It's an upgraded charcoal burner. Another building that you really should keep away from, if you want to run your production with some economic sense. 10 fuel (here charcoal) and 15 sand gives 3 bricks. Input: 45, output: 18.

Third picture

The first part of the settlement at the same time.

The butcher now works. He makes sausages, meat cuts and tallow. He makes all of them, you cannot choose. How much of each seems to be random. As far as I have seen, you get a bit more products from the butcher than the meat he uses.  (500-600 venison gave 468 sausages, 286 meat cuts, 72 tallow last year). It might be a good idea to sell the meat cuts, worth 3, sausages and tallow are worth 1. Tallow is no food, but could be used to produce candles.

Nilla

Warning!  :-[

I just read what I have written and it is a long lamentation. I have marked the non-complaining parts in italicized letters. So if you don't like complains read that only! ;) 

My CC-town develops slowly toward the first 100 inhabitants. I'm not there yet, even after 30 years. (Do you remember my fast Doolin? I don't think, I played that game as long as 30 years, and it I had almost 5000 inhabitants) You can play this game in many different ways, that's for sure. :)

First picture

This will be a small grain area. I have built a water mill. You could also build a windmill, but it needs rope and cloth to be built and I don't have any of it yet. There are 4 different kind of grain. The mill is a disappointment. 20 corn gives 14 flour (trade value both 1).

Second picture

Sorry it rains, but I just want to show all the different kind of bread you can produce (a bit strange; I sometimes bake bread as an hobby and I never use butter). But as far as I can see, it isn't interesting to bake anything but Hardtack; You get 20 Hardtack from 5 flour (both worth 1). The other bread types I tested were far less profitable and all worth 1.

Third picture

There are two kind of large marketplaces and also a number of small specialized market stands (5. shows a Protein Stall). Here I have built a Central Market. It has a bigger radius then the standard market and it seems like it could hold more merchandise. Around it I have built some new buildings.

1.  Dairy - Opposite to the @RedKetchup diary, you cannot choose the product. 15 milk gives 12 butter or cheese or cream, which one seems to be random (all worth 2) . Not very useful, as far as I can see.

2. Oil press - You can make vegetable oil or lamp oil. I don't know why you should make any vegetable oil. 275 olives makes 100 oil (worth 3). You need lamp oil for some buildings but for that you need blubber from whales, which I don't have yet.

3. Weavers hut - makes cloth or linen from cotton or flax. Cloth is needed for some buildings and you could also make clothes from the products. Here we have a more reasonable balancing. 7 cotton gives 4 cloth; input 14, output 32. The productivity is not so high 100-200 each year. So the yearly profit is 500-1000, something  like a standard tailor.

4 Ropery -  This is so far the most unprofitable building. 100 hemp gives 2 rope. (input 200, output 70) . One rope costs 100 to produce, you can buy it for 35 (42 if you order it). Why on earth would you build a ropery, if you have trading port? It doesn't look that good. I don't mind if these specialized building materials are hard and expensive to produce but they are too cheap to buy!

RedKetchup

hehe. it makes me smile :) you never complaining so much about MY mods like this :)

Nilla

Right, there were seldom reason to complain about your mods. But I can remember I sometimes did complain about some things and I also remember, that you were quite annoyed about it. ;)

The CC mod is great if you like a city building game. It gives you a lot of new design possibilities. But I like more the survival/simulation aspect of Banished. So, this mod gives me....... some frustration.  :-[

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on February 10, 2015, 05:57:54 AM

Sorry it rains, but I just want to show all the different kind of bread you can produce (a bit strange; I sometimes bake bread as an hobby and I never use butter).
Maybe it's brioche. ;)
Quote from: Nilla on February 10, 2015, 05:57:54 AM
4 Ropery -  This is so far the most unprofitable building. 100 hemp gives 2 rope. (input 200, output 70) . One rope costs 100 to produce, you can buy it for 35 (42 if you order it). Why on earth would you build a ropery, if you have trading port? It doesn't look that good. I don't mind if these specialized building materials are hard and expensive to produce but they are too cheap to buy!
Does the ropery upgrade to something more productive/profitable? CC seems to be full of things like this.