News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pangaea: Hulmevil

Started by Pangaea, September 05, 2016, 05:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Woo-hooooo! It is done 8)

Something interesting happened in the last couple of decades. The population didn't fluctuate as wildly and as quickly as earlier. I'm not entirely sure why. I did build 30 more houses at some point, but I doubt this has such an influence. I suspect it may have more to do with *not* taking in big waves of immigrants, and therefore not having a very large pension force hogging homes, and not getting a big death wave, and the ensuing kidsplosion. Looking at the amount of children and students, it appears to be more stable throughout, without getting dangerously close to 0 at the precipice of the boom and bust cycle.

At a guess, peoples' age is more neatly spread across the spectrum. Looking at the year 100 picture too, I've taken in immigrants in every "wave" -- except the last one.

Of course, if I were to leave the game running for another century, the next top and bottom may be more extreme again. Hard to know a great deal about age spread when all we have is child, student and adult. At worst, that means a 10 year old and 90+ year old is lumped together in the same category.

The 2nd picture shows production over the last century, and the decline in steel tools. Pretty obvious where I stopped auto trading ;)
The import-export pattern is probably similar to many other peoples' games.

Import: food, logs and eventually steel tools
Export: firewood and ale

Without ale production we'd be self-sufficient on food, so I could have cut out that chain entirely. But we gotta build something, right?  ;D

As you can see from the heavy consumption of stone and iron, there has been a rather wild building spree the last century...

(edit: For some reason the picture look much more grainy after upload than on my computer, despite being of the same size, so I'm not sure what this site does with them - but it can't be good.

edit again: Actually, the size listed underneath the picture is the upload size, not the size on the site, so they are compressed a great deal more upon upload. No wonder they look more grainy then.)

Nilla

Congratulations, 200 years is something!

I have notice these ups and downs in the fluctuation as well. It might also have something to do with the separated couples; if mam and dad live apart, there's less houses for the young, that means less babies in time for the next baby boom. But I'm sure that your theory; no nomads also matters.

So, on to the next achievements. They are hard to make together, those you have left; but it's possible. If you want some advice; tell me.

Pangaea

Thank you @Nilla, this has been a tiring game. But after owning the game since release, I suppose it was about time I started to hunt down some achievements :D

Have kept the game running in the background some more today and yesterday, and progressed almost another 20 years. A very near catastrophe when we were sooooooo close to running out of tools (60-ish left when I by chance checked out the game, so had to start mass-producing iron tools). Food was almost gone too, and I noticed a few people had died to starvation. But nothing a pair of human eyes couldn't fix in a couple of seasons.

The pattern of the fluctuation is back to similar shape as before. At the top there were almost twice as many families as homes, with very few kids and students. At the bottom, which shouldn't be too far off, there are (much) fewer families than homes, many houses already have a single occupant, and the amount of children and students are going back up.

I do think the big batches of immigrants played a role, but there is clearly more at play too, and it still looks darn hard, if not impossible, to get a stable population in Banished.

Some general advice for the small map and the last achievements would come in handy, I'm sure :) Will probably need to find a good map too, so I have some room for both infrastructure and forest nodes. Without any farming or trading, nor education, I can't imagine it will be easy to get 300 residents.

Nilla

No it's not easy but very interesting. As you say, a good map is the first thing. Unfortunately map numbers are changed with the latest patch, the one I had was good. But you don't have to look for the possibility to build many trading ports. That's what made me choose the map I used.

Make a little planning from the start. It's not my usual game and I think not yous either, but it might be necessary: Everey possible spot of water must be used by a fisher, every grassing spot of deer included in a hunters circle and of cause, every possible piece of forest for foresters and gatherers. Only the spot's that doesn't fit into these circles should be used for houses and other buildings.

Use the educated original population as good as possible. Let the blacksmith produce tools all the time, to get as big store as possible with educated workers. Same with clothes: Don't let an uneducated come near these buildings, as long as any educated still lives. Keep a look at blacksmiths and tailors and let them change houses if necessary.

Stones are critical; use them vise.

Store as much food, firewood and tools as possible.

Quite obvious things.

Wish you luck!

Pangaea

Thanks for that. You are right, meticulous planning from the start isn't my preferred play style either, but like you say, it may be needed here.

I've looked at some maps, and I gotta be honest: it looks difficult. Not even map 42 was the answer...  :-X

The first here is seed 77, which doesn't look too bad. Sure has a lot of mountains, but I'm not sure how little is realistic to expect. No lake, which I guess is a must here?

The second image has some very nice fishing spots, but the starting area has few trees, which I don't like. Looks like a decent area NW. 8394665.

The third map has a lake, but the river is all in the south. Shame about all those mountains smack in the middle of the map, but there may still be some okay areas in the north. 422346033.

Probably like the first, seed 77 best, but would it be possible to get pop 300-400 here? Hunters and gatherers don't get a ton of food, and fishing is very hit and miss, so 30,000+ food a year sounds like a stretch. But I want to try.

Oh, and the stone will be important, so don't think I can go with any stone houses. And probably put off town hall and such for a long time. On bigger maps it's possible to get by with surface stone for quite a while, but here that may be tricky.

Pangaea

Tried a few more. This one looks allright. I like to scout the area with the Quarry, and this has few of those annoying small ridges here and there that can't be built upon, and really messes up otherwise flat areas. Appears a little lacking in surface stone, but otherwise I like it. Of course the game crashed when trying to save it, but I know the seed, 248163264. Yes, I was trying out some crude math seeds. Prime numbers sucked.

Nilla

From those, I would think the last one is the best, even if every mountain map has its disadvantages. Mine might have been better, but unfortunately, as I try map seed 7, something completely different shows up. :(

And you can't aim for a food production of 30k. I don't think that is possible. You have to store as much as you can, and than develop fast towards 300.

Pangaea

After looking over the map more thoroughly and trying to plan a little, I'm less pleased with it than I was. Yours looked better, but it's gone now, and I would like to play with a 'new' one anyhow. It may be impossible (for me) to get to pop 3-400, but looking for maps is a boring process, so think I'll just go with one and see how it pans out.

Btw, in the beginning of an attempt like this, how would you go about it? I would think that collecting as much stone as possible early on is important, because getting 2 stone instead of 1 with educated workers is a huge deal. Then clearcut some forest. Getting tool production going early is a good tip, so thanks for that. Usually I postpone that until it's needed, as early on you need every worker you can into useful things, but here it's different since I can't get new educated workers. And as with surface stone, 50% less tools per batch is a huge deal.

Nilla

You're absolutely right; stones, iron and tools. But remember, that you get uneducated workers pretty soon, as the children grow up. I always try to place the first on spots, where they do as little harm as possible; a bit away, near a fishing dock as example. And always keep an eye on the critical things. Builders seem to have high priority, so building projects might mess things up.