News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing the North6

Started by Nilla, December 10, 2017, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turis

Before I had a chance to make the post with the picture, a guy from the hosting website favorited it and downloaded it. ???

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on January 31, 2018, 12:49:33 PM
Before I had a chance to make the post with the picture, a guy from the hosting website favorited it and downloaded it. ???

maybe we will see it now on every web site and on youtube ? ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Turis

Nilla

YES! @Turis the new YouTube star! :P ;D

Elkville grows with a terrifying speed. It's still manageable, but I don't know for how long. I don't remember anymore, how big I've built with a "real time mod" before. I can remember though, that I've had similar problems before as I played with @kid1293 Raw House mod. I remember that he was kind enough, to make the tiny rawhouses for a 3 person family to help me manage the growth. I have a question to you people, who usually use "real time aging mods". How big have you built your settlements and how did you manage the population growth?

If you plan to build in Northmen  in the North @Tom Sawyer, I do recommend, that you add some houses for small families, maybe townhouses to use late in the game. I have added the Townhouses from @Discrepancy. They are really nice and the production buildings all work well in the North. BUT........ They are for families of 5-7. I can certainly not need houses for larger families than 5 at this moment. I have built a few large houses over the small ground floor workshops and stores, but I will have to stick to the smaller.

I have thought about loading a mod with smaller houses (I even think I have one loaded already; Kid's Forest Outpost house is for 4 people, if I remember right) but I will give it a try with "normal" 5 person houses. Just to see how long it works.

I guess, the problem in this big settlement, long term will be fuel. I'm about to convert my smokers to salters, to save firewood. Occasionally I buy firewood or coal, to save logs. But I don't know how long we can afford to buy food and fuel. Sooner or later, I will have to reopen my coalmine and probably build more.

These pictures are an attempt to please @RedKetchup. ;) I know, far from the quality of @Paeng, (I miss him, too) but at least a try to make some impressions from the village life.

First picture

Here's the flooded empty clay pit. I guess it looks as good as possible. Better than the former "clay pit ruin".

You can also see the scary population graph.

Second picture

The beginning of my Bryggen part of  the town. I'm not sure about Norwegian but "brygga" means jetty in Swedish so this part needs a nice one. I will expand in this style also to the other side of the river, to make a small merchant town.

Turis

"The hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy". Find and read it.

brads3

i take it you mean when the computer doesn't kick us out or we run into some crazy problem.think most times players accomplish a goal or build certain buildings.then we move on to the next map. we dont run towns as far as we could often.not as much as we should i guess.very seldom do i try to cover the entire map.i don't think managing the population growth is the main reason though.

in the beginning,it is easier to click on each house and build more as needed.when females are graduating school or turning 16 years old. when there is too many houses,i use a formula of 1 house per 2 adults plus boarding houses. those do count as houses,new players might not realize that. other players use a formula but "families" instead of adults.
      nomads do help towns grow.i like to keep the bannies working and the laborer count down. usually 5-10 laborers.as students graduate or nomads arrive,i put them to work.so it isn't just housing that decides things.i stop taking nomads when i can't build fast enough to get my laborer count back down. say that number is 100,and 30 adult nomads show up. i need to build 15 houses but also 30 work places.if more nomads arrive before i have built all that,then i don't accept them.
         the laborer count has to go up as the town grows.i am still tryinig to figure out what that number should be. should it be 10% or 25% of the total adult workers??how many laborers to each builder,and how many builders?? i try different things.don't have a magic formula for it yet though.
     i do use KID's rowhouses and NECORAs pine cabins. they work in production or mining towns or small forest villages.i don't think the small houses slow the growth much though.

"TOWS" went over 150 years and 1700 bannies. took a lot of trading to keep them all fed.toward the end,i was building houses and fields constantly.once the population gets ahead of you it is difficult to get it back in control. i had a mod glitch a long time ago. built the town up and was expanding and growing smoothly. all of a sudden the bannies started to kick children out of their homes. i built more houses for them and the bannies would kick more out.took a couple years to figure out what was going on. dumped a mod and started over.

Tom Sawyer

Yep, the DS Townhouses are fully compatible with North 6 and look great at your shoreline. Almost Paeng like! ;D

I also find the upper story of the townhouses a bit too big or too high. One story or window-row lower would be nice and then with smaller families inside. But the problem of too fast growing populations should be solved in citizen.rsc I think. I have increased the post child term value to 1 - 4 years. That will help and can be adjusted if necessary. Residences limited to 2 children should be also available to control population growth. You could use the vanilla huts but they are probably not what you want to build in your town.

The claypit is just filled with water and fishes. I did not add any vegetation but when I was working at it, I added some plants from Tanys water mod for testing. Works fine with her water lilies and the other plants. So you can decorate your old pits a bit if you like it more natural: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=174

Anjell

Your town is looking good. Love those Town homes in front of the River.

Quote from: Nilla on February 01, 2018, 05:08:54 AM

I have a question to you people, who usually use "real time aging mods". How big have you built your settlements and how did you manage the population growth?

I use the Immortal Mod from Black Liquid to create a large population. In the beginning it's very manageable with hunters, fishermen. orchards and farms. At this point in the game, (11K peeps) I am barely sustaining food production. My reserves are almost gone. I allowed too many nomads in the early stages and i built too many homes. I have over 2k homes and over 5k families.
Immortals reproduce like rabbits and they don't die unless there's a disease or something. In the last 5 yrs of this village I made the huge mistake of expanding 2 extra rows of homes near the bottom farms because I needed workers close to them. BIG MISTAKE !!! It went crazy baby booming fast... lol

I'll continue with some decorations, finishing up my parks, hedges, etc for now until the new NMT and the other new goodies are released. I'm pretty much done with this map.  ;D

Oh, and to answer your question from other post the game is very laggy but mostly when nomads visit. I just have to close up all background applications before i start the game and it's still manageable. I posted some pictures I took with my phone because I couldn't get the MicroSUX WinBLOWS screen shots to work.

Nilla

@brads3 . I am very sure, that smaller houses stop this extreme population growth in a large settlement. Say a girl moves out when she's 16. She gets children when she's 17, 19, 21. The eldest child moves out when she's 33. So she gets new babies with 34, 36 and 38. That's 6 children. In a 4 person house she gets children with 17 and 19, 34 and 36. That's 4 children. A big difference, when you see it in a couple of generations. Now I'm trying to slow this down. If she moves out with 20. She gets babies with 21, 23 and 25 and is too old for more babies after they've moved out.

I try to have 10-15% free laborers. Maybe a bit less at the beginning and more on big map/large settlement. That works fine for me. I don't use many builders. I have a few, who stay builders all the time, generally much less than building projects. I can increase the number temporarily, if I see that building sites are ready or I want something fast. But I am generally a bit careful. Builders have some kind of priority, when it comes to living as close to the workplace as possible, and this might mess things up.

Quote from: Turis on February 01, 2018, 07:34:15 AM
"The hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy". Find and read it.

??? Explanation needed. I read this book (or at least the first one) way back and to be honest; not much stayed in my memory.   :-[

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 01, 2018, 10:36:20 AM
Almost Paeng like! ;D
Well, @Tom Sawyer "almost" is a word that can be stretch. In this case very long. ;) I don't find the townhouses big compared to a Banni. I think the size is quite realistic but sure, too big for one family. In life there would have been a number of families living in such a house.

@Anjell, I can only see the sense of using an immortality mod, if you want to build that big. My experience is, that with a population of 5000-6000, the Bannis start to behave even weirder as normal. The most annoying thing, is that they no longer change occupation. This means, that every youngster who moves out, keeps his occupation and may very well work on the other side of the map. Sooner or later, the production breaks down. If no one dies, there will at least be no other houses, than the ones you build, that's free for young people, who work far away. May I ask, do these 100 years old people get children?

First picture

I had some kind of weird bug. Now and then one or a few person get homeless, without any fires or something like that. They walk around for a while, then go to a market to grab some food and the homeless sign disappears, after they visited the market. It might have something to do with changing professions when the production limit is reached and for some reason be far away from home.

The two person shown on the picture (Rudolfo is homeless and Sheilani just was, together with two of her three children) are both "unemployed" because the fuel limit is reached. It was the same another time, as I looked; people working at sites, that were closed became temporarily homeless maybe together with some of their children. I have marked the homes of the person at the map. Sheilani works as a woodcutter far away in one of the forest settlements and Rudolfo is a coalminer on the other side of the river.

This is not a bad bug, it solves itself after some time, anyhow I wanted to tell

I forgot, that I had a crash some time ago. There was a tornado, bim, bim, two people died, then crash! I had no time to see, what happened and what was destroyed by the tornado, anyhow, something happened, that the game didn't like.

Second picture

Good idea @Tom Sawyer ; the water plants. I usually don't use much decorations and when I do, I can confess, that I somehow "over use" them. But now I even like the clay pit ruin! :)

RedKetchup

it is really a very nice pond you have there !!!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Almost as nice as your NMT! (Unless you build it in the mountains ;) )

Turis

Trying to joke around some more, but, the jokes that comes into my mind now crosses the line except asking you to post a portrait picture of yourself. No, I'm not asking for it yet. :P

Anjell

Quote from: Nilla on February 02, 2018, 03:54:54 AM
May I ask, do these 100 years old people get children?

Yes, some bannies are thousands of years old. Numbers are really random for nomads and starting family adults. A couple could be 4987 yr old married to a 183 yr old for example. Children that are born after have a normal age progression. They continue to reproduce their entire lives. If a kid moves out, the couple will have another baby as long as there is space in the house. If the house limit is reached they won't have more children.

Tom Sawyer

Yeah, that's a really nice revegetation now! We need more sweet plants from @tanypredator. And I would say.. almost even better than Paeng could make it. ;D

The culprit of your tornado crash I have found. It was the mine when destroyed by storm. It's fixed for next update.

Nilla

@Turis, have I made you that confuse? This is a GAMING site not a DATING site! You may continue to flirt with me. But don't expect any success. I'm happily married for more than 30 years. :)