News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A funny thing happened while playing under Linux/wine

Started by A Nonny Moose, December 12, 2014, 08:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Linux users know that some desktop systems allow multiple desktops.  I am running Ubuntu 14.10 (latest release) with full updates and wine-1.7.32.  I have set up four desktops.

Running Banished 1.04 full screen.

I switched desktops to perform another task, then switched back to find that Banished had become non-responsive, but not crashed.  All evidence was that it was running, but it was not talking to the human interface.  So I switched to another desktop opened a console and issued a kill command for the Banished process.  It was removed from the system (apparently).  However, when I returned to the desktop that had contained Banished, the full screen image remained.  Furthermore, it was an unresponsive image.  I had to boot my system to get rid of it.

Is this a bug, or a peculiarity of Ubuntu/wine/full screen operations?  Does this ever happen to Windows users?  If so, there could be something amiss in the tear down on an abort.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

salamander

Although I used to run Linux at home many years ago, it was to be able to use some programs I'd written in grad school, and I never really took the installation beyond the command line interface.  I've never used multiple desktops, but with Windows I have seen some things that may be similar to this -- the program apparently running, the mouse still moves, but mouse clicks and/or keyboard input are ignored, and in some cases terminating the process didn't help.  In those cases, rebooting fixed all.

I've always assumed that any OS can occasionally get 'confused' and stop responding to one of its subsystems without necessarily crashing completely.  I think it has something to do with the moon's gravity sometimes pulling a bit into the wrong place.

A Nonny Moose

I've been monkeying with operating systems since the late 1960s, and have not noticed a dead process that captured a desktop before.  Must be something about the way the game handles 'full screen'.  I've noticed there is some kind of convulsion when the full screen mode kicks in when the game starts up.  Other full screen operations don't do this.  I guess I'll give it a try with the full screen option turned off.

Later:  There is no option for not running full screen.  Oh, well, ....

Mmdrgtobldrgn

"Later:  There is no option for not running full screen.  Oh, well, ...."

As a windows user the lack of minimization is possibly the only element of the game I consider a serious drawback/flaw.

Pre-patch animals walking under water, water in trading boats 'oh, lol, cute glitch' and ignore vs no minimizing/small screen even if full screen is not checked ... 'grrr  >:( I like to pause and browse for info while gaming'.
~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself

Paeng

Maybe I misunderstand your problem - but in the options (tab: video) you can set whether you want full screen or not... ?
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Mmdrgtobldrgn

Quote from: Paeng on January 10, 2015, 11:39:25 AM
Maybe I misunderstand your problem - but in the options (tab: video) you can set whether you want full screen or not... ?

There is and I've tried it, it doesn't seem to make a difference unless in addition to checking you need to change the dimensions of the video screen as well. Which in honesty I haven't tried yet, primarily 'cause I'd rather play than monkey with settings.

edit to add: So tried changing screen size, 800x600 vs my usual 1920x1080, while full screen was checked off and it does make the screen smaller ... but seems either my pc has developed some issues or even just leaving the game paused in the background causes lag in all other programs.
~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself

WorldofBanished

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on December 12, 2014, 08:58:33 AM
the full screen image remained.  Furthermore, it was an unresponsive image.  I had to boot my system to get rid of it.

This happened to me last night; got busy talking and then noticed I couldn't see my mouse. Took me a minute to realize the pic was frozen, even though the game was continuing on. I tried Ctrl/Alt/Delete, and while I could here the beep of the window opening, I was unable to see it because of the frozen Banished screen. Had to do a hard boot.  :o
I run Windows 7 64 bit

A Nonny Moose

In a way, I am glad it isn't a problem with Linux/wine or my video drivers.  There are enough strange variables to contend with.