News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Summer Haven Hideaway - Story 56

Started by Abandoned, May 31, 2020, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

;D flunked finger painting  ;D  Have you seen my first world map I did in story #10?  ;D  WOB member @Savidan made me a better one back in story #20 that I have been adding to ever since.  There is still room for more stories  :)

To answer your questions. Yes, I have at least 1 main mod (most often a new mod of Kid's I am testing) that I then choose other mods to support it and the map location I have in mind.  I need to be sure I have all the buildings I want and that the town will need, and they are built in order as needed.  I do pick and choose carefully and limit mods  ;D or I would have every town start looking the same with Old Town vanilla, Kid Tiny mod, and farmyards.  I often have areas in mind for farms or forester or production area but is more often done as I go along and sometimes changed. Sometimes the story decides.  More often than not I build here and there, especially houses.  I do more decorating if the featured mod includes deco and then usually done as I go along unless seasonal.  The town is build as the story says and shows, I play a year and take screenshots as I go, then name screenshots so they stay in order, and then write the chapter.  I am glad you enjoy my stories  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 9

In spring of year 9 we were surprised when 10 families arrived, 14 adults and 1 child, although some of the adults were little more than children.  They were swamp dwellers who had fled from what they claim was a giant frog invasion.  They lived on the western edge of Summerset Swamp so, no, they did not see any of these giant killer frogs themselves but they were not going to stay there and wait for them to show up.  They crossed the main river and came inland. 

We weren't sure we believed their tall tale but we invited them to stay with us and even humored them by checking around for frogs.  All that was found was some rather large mud crabs by the second lake but no frogs.  We began immediately to build houses.  Their story about a giant frog invasion was confirmed by 2 riverboat men who had horrifying stories to tell.  Many swamp dwellers were killed and maimed, whole towns were wiped out, and several river boatmen were still missing.  We thought it was pirates delaying their arrival.  We were told there were pirates doing a  lot to help the survivors in the swamp.

The swamp dwellers were impressed with our tree topper houses so several were built on the other side of the lake.  A fishing pier and hunting tower was built there also.  One family wanted a worker house by the docks to make tools for trade.  The river boatmen said the swamp survivors needed many things but especially clothes and tools.  Our new families wanted to do what they could to help them.  By early winter all the new families were housed.

taniu

@Abandoned ;D Beautiful story as always a captivating story. Greetings

Abandoned

:)  Greetings @taniu , thank you.  Always nice to hear from you and know you are well  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 10

We were concerned that the newcomers on the other side of the lake would not have easy access to a variety of foods so we concentrated on gathering wild foods in that area to fill their storage sheds.  They were impressed with the variety of foods that we could grow and they wanted to learn.  Food growing in the swamp was very difficult and variety was limited.  They relied on the river boatmen, one in particular who always left extras for them.  The first farmyard with berries, corn, potatoes, and chickens soon appeared on that side of the lake.  Another was planted with berries, corn, cabbage, potatoes, and also had chickens. 

Another concern was education but most of their young people already missed school.  It would be a few years before a school was needed on that side of town.  Our school still had room and it would be a few years before it was filled to capacity.  The youngest of our 3 children would be starting school soon.  Likewise it would be a year or 2 before we needed more housing. 

We had a nice stockpile of stone at the trading post and were planning to start buying large quantities of seeds.  The surface stone was now some distance away to the north and the south.  We decided it was time to dig a stone quarry closer to town.  We spent that winter gathering wild foods, branches for firewood, stone, and iron so that more time could be spent enjoying the summer weather when it arrived. 

Another playground was constructed near the lake houses and so was the new quarry where it would be easy for parents to keep a watchful eye on their children.

Abandoned

Chapter 11 

By early spring of year 11 we had a large area cleared and ready to plant our wheat.  We traded stone and a few hide coats and iron tools for bean seeds that we planted in the smaller field where the wheat had been.  Two farmers would work the larger wheat field.  The new quarry had 3 stonecutters and we would soon have enough stone to trade for more seeds.

A family of 4 arrived by houseboat from Riverview.  It had gotten a little too crowded and busy for their liking but they were not real happy with the thought of returning to Riverboat Junction either.  Rumor was that Riverboat Junction was spending more time and effort building a fancy new section of town with mansions instead of renovation the old town worker's quarters as promised.  The family was happy to stay with us and would live aboard their houseboat at least for the time being.

Over by the lake a windmill was built where it could catch the summer wind blowing across the lake.  We were all thrilled at the thought of having our flour milled for us.  Next to the cemetery a large area was cleared to plant the peach seeds we traded stone for.  We were also happy that there would be more sweet juicy peaches available during the summer months.  A new food would be available to us soon, a workers house was built for one of the young adults who set up a dairy table in his yard to make cheese.  We had a large surplus of milk from the farmyard cows and we were happy to have another tasty food we did not have to cook on a hot summer day.

Abandoned

Chapter 12

The newly planted peach orchard was doing well in the spring of year 12 and so was the new wheat field.  Nearby a baker workshop was built and began baking herb bread.  Later when the orchard had grown we would have peach pie.  Edmoniqua who tended her milk cows said the dairy could make butter for the bread and cream for the peaches.  There was plenty of milk.  Our mild weather was good for animals and crops.

It was another beautiful summer in our Hideaway with wild sunflowers now blooming in several locations.  Some of the children and parents at the new playground were snacking on the seeds.  We would see if we could buy seeds to plant a field full.  Avernestie said we should see about getting tomato seeds, she could not grow nearly enough in her farmyard.  Berely, the market vendor, agreed that the tomatoes were in high demand, they were gone almost as soon as she could put than out on the market stand.

We were surprised when the next riverboat merchant who arrived was Dolli, a general goods merchant, the first one we'd seen.  She had been busy taking stone from Red Rock Quarry to Riverboat Junction and in between she spent time enjoying the Quarry's new beach resort.  We ordered much needed leather.  When Latrinidad, the seed merchant arrived,  we asked about sunflower and tomato seeds.  He said there was no need to special order, he would probably have some on his next stop.  He was not so sure about accepting more stone though, the Quarry was doing a good job now of supply stone to the Junction.

Abandoned

Chapter 13

Latrinidad returned in early spring with tomato and sunflower seeds.  He took most of the stone we had at the trading post but that would be the last stone the merchants would accept in trade.  We immediately stopped work at the quarry.  Before they left, the workers used what pieces of wood they could find to build a fence and a Keep Out sign.  Our town children were well supervised but we did not want to take any chances with their safety.

A field of tomatoes was planted on a small hill hoping they would get the extra sun they needed to ripen.  The location was a good one, the tomatoes did very well there.  Nearby a new house was built and the young couple set up a dairy stand to make butter for the fresh baked bread.  Plain bread was now being baked because herbs were in short supply.  Also in short supply was leather, the general goods merchant still had not returned with the leather we ordered.  The tailor switched to making linen clothes for the warm summer months.

The peach orchard yielded its first harvest of peaches, it was small but we did not expect any that year.

Abandoned

Chapter 14

As always, we looked forward to spring and summer as soon as the temperature began to rise.  A field for the sunflowers was prepared and ready to plant, and the sailboats were already out on the lake. 

Perhaps there was no one who looked forward to spring that year more than the family of 5 swamp dwellers who arrived.  At first we thought they were pirates, the oldest male walked with a bad limp and the oldest son had a peg leg.  They said it was thanks to pirates and dark elf healing powers that the two of them survived at all, but they knew of nothing that could stop the nightmares that reoccurred every year when the swamp frogs began to crock.  The family thought moving away from the swamp might help.

There were many things the two adult males couldn't do, but they could fish and they could catch mudcrabs.  A tree topper house and crab jetty was built by the second lake.  The father managed the ladder just fine but a workers house and fishing pier was built nearby for the oldest son .  Rusty built a crabbing boat for them and it was a joy to see how well they adjusted to their new life with us in our Haven Hideaway.

Abandoned

Chapter 15

The new arrivals brought our Hideaway's population up to 120 citizens.  In early spring of year 15 there were 74 adults, 23 students, and 23 young children.  It was maybe time to build another house or two.

Recent graduate, 13 year old Mackenzil, moved into a small workers house by the peach orchard.  She set up a workplace in her yard to make fruit preserves, the nearby shed had plenty of berries from the gatherer next door.  When the new harvest of peaches came in she could switch to peach jam.  If she needed more honey she would set up a bee hive, the nearest ones were on the other side of town in the apiary.

Everyone in town loved peaches.  They would have the choice of eating a fresh peach, having peaches and cream, or a piece of peach pie.   Ten year old Earli moved into a workers house by the wheat field and was raising one of Edmoniqua's calves.  He would make the cream from the excess milk.  He would have liked a tree topper house for a better view of the lake but the miller objected to anything that would block the wind from the mill.  The baker began making the peach pies.

Across the lake behind the tree topper there, another farmyard had been planted with berries, corn, cabbage, potatoes, and a few chickens. 

In late summer, Dolli, the general goods merchant, finally returned with the leather we ordered.  She had been again to Red Rock Quarry and to Riverboat Junction and she returned to us with some news that might interest us.

kid1293

:) Oh, a cliff-hanger! I am really curious about the merchant now! :)

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 16

The river boatmen felt responsible for encouraging us to produce more stone and now there was no need and we were left with a large useless quarry.  Dolli had been trying to find a market for our stone but with no luck.  In Riverboat Junction, she spoke with Mr. Red who was in charge of canal building and inspection but he confirmed that most areas had enough stone of their own or they could order it from Riverboat Junction which was now receiving plenty from Red Rock Quarry.  Mr. Red's associate, Mr. Eb, was quarry master and he concurred that the quarry could supply the Junction with all the stone that was needed and it was not even operating at full capacity.  Mr. Eb did have 2 very interesting suggestions.  We could convert our quarry into a fishing hole or a swimming pool.

We chose the latter. In spring of year 16 we began the renovation.  The quarry buildings and stones were removed first but spring was very wet that year and the quarry filled with water sooner than needed.  By summer the water dried up enough for construction of the pool's frame to be built.  Scrap wood was used to fence in the whole area from spectators.  It would take a while for the pool to fill with water and warm up enough to use.  Meanwhile  snacks were being brought to the vendor carts that were built.  There would be berries, sunflower kernels, and peaches to eat poolside.  More rain in early autumn finished filling the pool and the fences were removed.  The autumn sunshine warmed the pool enough for a few cattails to sprout and some ducks to take a swim.

Abandoned

:) oops, pics forgotten

Abandoned

Chapter 17

As soon as the weather warmed in early spring of year 17, benches, tables, and chaise lounges were placed around the pool.  A colorful food stand was built to use our home-grown tomatoes, peppers, and cheese to top a piece of pie crust, it was called pizza pie.  Mothers were happy to see the children eating their vegetables.  They were also enjoying more milk and fruit.  Another poolside treat was ice cream made with milk and fruit, more of our summer peaches were used. 

The water was still too cold for most children to want to swim in but another sand box with water bucket and a swing set was added to provide more summer poolside fun.  But life in Summer Haven Hideaway was not just all about fun, there was still work to be done.

Abandoned

Chapter 18

As usual in early spring there were branches to gather and crops to plant.  Beryle, the preservist, set up a bee hive in her yard.  With the hollyhocks on one side and the peach orchard on the other, they were bound to produce a lot of honey.  Over by the pool another farmyard was planted mainly because the Pizza Hat time after time needed more peppers. 

Rusty and I soon realized how fast time passes.  Our children were all grown and our oldest daughter  wanted a home of her own.  So did many other young people, our Hideaway only had 34 homes for 56 families.  It was time to do some building. 

A single family house was built not far from the pool for our daughter and her new husband.  A Haven platform with storage was being built by the pool, it would house 3 more couples.   More couples meant more newborns.  Rusty and I had  a newborn son and grandson by the end of summer that year.  Diapers hanging out on the backyard wash lines were a sure sign there was a newborn in the house.  Out back behind our daughter house 2 tree topper houses were build.  Year 18 had been a busy year.