News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Citizen Aging out of sync?

Started by Polaris, March 20, 2017, 07:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaris

I keep running into this problem that sounds fairly common - a town dying from old age. It's the 10th time I've lost a prosperous town to old age because the citizens stop having children after the 6th year or so, and if their children don't produce a another generation (or you get some nomads), the town dies in year 15-20. Happy, healthy and prosperous citizens and town, each family with its own house by year 5, so the boardinghouse is empty.

But no kids to continue on. There's rarely an accident, sometimes they all die of old age one by one.

But one of the things I've noticed is a disconnect between the age of the town and the age of its citizens. I've had citizens die of old age at 91, yet they arrived at the location perhaps only 15 or 20 years ago at age 20. How are citizens aging 60 or 70 years in 15 or 20? Is this a bug?

Polaris

Update: Got an answer to this question on reddit. Confirmed, citizen aging is 4x the rate of seasonal change so it is out of sync.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Polaris on March 20, 2017, 08:34:23 PM
Update: Got an answer to this question on reddit. Confirmed, citizen aging is 4x the rate of seasonal change so it is out of sync.

yes it is. the game is based on this.
but i dont see why it is a problem.

the problem comes for not doing enough houses. you need to build houses so the children get married and get kids.
are you playing at 5X 10X ? because usually to have citizens aging from 20 to 91 years old ... take alot of time so you should have thought to make houses.
playing at 10X and forget that an hour is very deadly ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

jesta030

having the right amount of houses is one of the harder challenges this game offers.

build too few -> no new families, death by old age
build too many -> baby boom and death by starvation

a general rule of thumb is to build 2 new houses each year. maybe make it a habit to build them when the snow thaws. boarding houses are only used by people made homeless, i.e. if you demolish their houses. Kids wont move in there to form new families otherwise.

watch out for the sine wave of life and death: even big, late game towns experience waves of death by old age that result in baby booms because of the sudden availability of housing for young banis. Hopefully your town will be well stocked with food and tools to survive this. it eventually flattens out but only after many hundreds of ingame years.

RedKetchup

in fact till you have your Townhall : do an house each time you find a pair ( a girl and a boy once they finished school )
after you have the town hall : you check the number of family and number of house and you always try to get the exact same number :)

and play at 2X  :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

there are several aging mods to change how fast the banis age,as well as other factors.however, without changing your game play that will not solve the overall issue. you report the town dies off ut is it all due to old age or does that also bring starvation and other problems?? 
    sounds like you build houses for the 1st generation and they have kids. at what age do you build the next set of houses?? do you have a school? if you do not build houses, the 2nd generation will be too old to have kids by the time the 1st dies off. hence, the town will die without any kids to replace the population.i should also ask if you are using mods?? 
    there are many guides and ways to handle this. early in a game it is easier to micro-manage and control things. check each house and when the children reach a certain age build them a house. depending on your own personal preference, you can do this anywhere from age 15 or 16 to 20. younger and they won't have kids and will generally live by themself for several years. after the banis get to a certain age they will be too old to have children. i think its between 28 to 35 depedning on the age mod. generally banis living with parents will not have children. some suggest that you build houses every few years. how many and how often will depend on the aging mod and how big the population is.
     everyone has their own style of playing and it changes over time. you will find what works for you figure out the basics. the aging is 1 part. banis need 100 food per person per year. does not matter how old they are.once your population starts to grow and not die off, food will be your next hurdle. and then education and nomads.
    i use the propertime mod. there is a thread with this discussion of how fast the banis should age,at what age to have children,old age,etc. the mod was tweaked a few times with different ideas. early in  a game i can click around and add houses as my females are about 16. later in games,i try to have a house for every 2 adult banis. so if i have 100 adults,i should have 50 houses+ lodges or boarding houses. i also use the mini mod set. its cityhall is small but handy and gives nomads early in games.that helps to expand.