Forum Challenge #1: Most People Inside a Market Radius

Started by solarscreen, May 30, 2014, 02:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Demonocracy

Congratulations, @Bobbi !

Everyone did really well, though.  I watched the whole thread, and I think we ran into a lot of the same issues that we had to resolve to get as far as we could go. 

This was a lot of fun.  Thanks, everyone!

mariesalias

Congrats @Bobbi! Impressive numbers! 

I got to about 580 at one point and then got hit with a disease that didn't kill all that many people, but killed enough that they lost their growth momentum. For a brief minute I thought I might be able to hit 900 (which was my goal) but I just didn't have enough houses.

Good job to everyone that did this challenge! I think it was a new experience for all of us! :)

@RedKetchup  You actually had more houses then me (mine were very inefficient space-wise :\) so I think you are right, if you had run it longer you would have reached a higher population!

RedKetchup

maybe :) @mariesalias

anyways, Bobbi highly won it :) and he deserves it.
since i was the first to post it... people had to beat it or giveup ^^ :)

salamander

Congratulations!  I wish I could get that large a 'normal' town.

Demonocracy

Quote from: salamander on June 09, 2014, 04:01:11 AM
Congratulations!  I wish I could get that large a 'normal' town.

Agreed!  Not only did our best (anything over 700 really) contestants pull off the challenge, they have a higher population than I've ever managed to reach.  I'm so ashamed! 

And here I thought I was the best at being a Slum Lord!

Kaldir

Official congrats to @Bobbi now :D   and to runner ups @mariesalias and @RedKetchup, and @slink and @solarscreen and @rkelly17 and @Demonocracy for all your good pictures (hopefully didn't forget anyone).

Quote from: Demonocracy on June 09, 2014, 06:04:48 AM
I'm so ashamed! 

Please don't, otherwise I would feel the need to be ashamed as well. :P

I never managed 800 or more citizens myself yet. But I will some day, just like you will.

rkelly17

Congrats to winners! Nice work all. I can't say it was fun building such a place, but I loved seeing what everyone else did. And it did push me to learn more about trading.

Bobbi

Thank you all for your congratulations  ;D

I learned a lot in this challenge, but I am not sure outside of a challenge that I will ever use those skills. One thing I learned - there is no such thing as too many logs when relying on a trading empire. I had to start over and find another map seed because first one did not have enough space around it. Also had a small hill that would have cost me three houses....mainly I had a huge log/food issue after pop grew to around 5 or 6 hundred. "Life" intruded a lot and I did not have much time.
Now I am making a run for the Devil's Playground, but getting a late start and anticipating "life" intruding a lot again. Wish me luck!

mariesalias

Quote from: Kaldir on June 09, 2014, 06:27:50 AM
Quote from: Demonocracy on June 09, 2014, 06:04:48 AM
I'm so ashamed! 

Please don't, otherwise I would feel the need to be ashamed as well. :P

I never managed 800 or more citizens myself yet. But I will some day, just like you will.

I have never gone over 1000 population yet. I got over 900 once, early on, and had a horrible death spiral! So I decided I would focus on the game with lower populations and figuring out the game from that aspect of play before I moved on to the bigger populations.  We all play so differently, and there are so many different ways to play, that I think there is value in everyone's play styles! 

salamander

Much the same for me except I only made to ~600 before my town crashed and burned.  I've been operating around 400-500 population since, and still haven't figured out how to maintain things more or less stably (sp?).

RedKetchup

nmid

Nice going @Bobbi !

922 is awesome.

I had my game plan in mind, that I would 1st build up my regular city and get it to 1000 pop (or use one of my older maps) and then start making the dedicated market circle.
I would give it 3-5 years to build completely, and let it 1st fill with newly married couples at the start (giving them time to give birth to 2 kids at least...) and also deconstruct original houses outside the market circle that had 4-5 people in the family.

My end goal was a 1500-2000 city pop, with about 1000 people in the circle.
However it was just theorycraft as I just didn't get time to sit and play.... :x

Oh I should say, I would have had problems with the challenge mid-way, because I would have definitely planned my circle from outside in.
My thought process was that the market should service the house.. so even if the house is even partially in the circle, it should satisfy the challenge...
Lol. I would have had to redo the entire thing to comply with the challenge rules.

Anyways, great going everyone. I know how much fun it is playing a numbers game :D.

solarscreen

Quote from: nmid on June 16, 2014, 08:54:23 PM

Oh I should say, I would have had problems with the challenge mid-way, because I would have definitely planned my circle from outside in.
My thought process was that the market should service the house.. so even if the house is even partially in the circle, it should satisfy the challenge...
Lol. I would have had to redo the entire thing to comply with the challenge rules.

:)   Hmmm... you were going to play but you couldn't follow the rules so you quit.  ;)
I knew you were a rebel @nmid !  LOL

Now quit playing Rimworld and get back to Banished!  Or do I need to setup a Rimworld board here?  :)

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics