News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Copy Mod????

Started by Nominix, October 08, 2016, 05:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nominix

Not sure if this would be possible, but just going to throw the idea out there.

Imagine that you have setup a house with a small garden or perhaps a small chicken pen, put fences and decorations around it, maybe trees, bushes, all the fixings, and decided you really liked how it turned out and would like to make it its own object so you could build lots of them without having to spend the time to put in all the decorations and such.

Would it be possible to make a mod that would allow you to copy the layout and all the different objects and make it a custom object and just click and place it repeatedly?
Maybe a UI that has grid that can be rotated around that you could build the house and place decorations in and then save it as a custom object?
Maybe just highlight what you have built in game and copy it to a shortcut or something and then place it repeatedly?

No idea whether or not something like this could be done or not but it would allow for a lot of creativity without the huge time sinks if your doing a very large town.

Discrepancy

I doubt it could be built individually and then be able to copy it all, saved as a custom object.
There is nothing in the code that allows that kind of thing to happen in game.

Some of the modders (if inclined) could put together a house and garden setup, as a single object building. This though would be limited to a single usage (ie) it would only be a residence, everything around the house would be static/decorative.
The thing is that not all of us modders can do everything, I know I can't - don't have the time, and also don't have all the skills.
I would like to make something similar to what you suggest, but I'm still not good at making plants/shrubs/trees etc for the game.

The 1 issue I see with this, is that you will lose the individual look and aspect of each house/farm, unless we modders made a lot of f-key variants - very time consuming for us modders, we would essentially be doing all the work you don't want to do in game ;)

My thoughts is that we could make small garden additions that can be added around houses, different sizes and styles - this way it could also have a production use (ie, requires a farmer, and the garden will produce randomly an assortment of veggies/eggs etc... just enough for the nearby house to be self-sufficient.
Maybe one day you will see something similar to this from me... but not soon, I have to build up my skills.
Instead you will just have to make do with placing all the decorations individually

:)

Nominix

And thats all fine...I really dont want modders doing the work for me, I prefer to do it myself, so making a bunch of F-Key variants, Is like you said, not really a good way to go. And again I was just curious about how feasible it could be to do something like that. I just downloaded the modders kit and am still reading through everything and getting a close look at what it offers as well as what is realistically within its scope.

Most of the towns I do are centered around big ag. I use food to trade and tend to stray away from the industry side. Its not that I dont like it, its just not as interesting to me as doing say, the full bakery line. its not a town until you have all your citizens eating cheese bread, croissants, pies and bagels. Getem fat n happy :) So having a few variants of my own design that I can spend the time to design and then quickly add is quite appealing.

If its out of the scope of the modding kit then thats fine, it was just about what exactly can be done, could something be manipulated to the point that a player could create thier own f-key variants using the objects allready in the game. Granted it very well may be impossible given the restrictions of the modding kit, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

I appreciate your response as it does help me put things within the proper perspective.

I will just add that I do like the idea of adding small garden additions that will sustain just that house, thats a pretty cool idea.

brads3

yes i agree. that is 1 of the falacies of this game. each person does 1 job whereas in reality ppl did mutliple things especially in farming or as pioneers or colonists. as to gardens,it might b possable. so far thou any garden idea is particular crop. a farmhouse mod where ppl did gardening n had some chickens would have been helpful. in early game u do find u must micromanage a lot. especially with an adam and eve start.bewteen crafting tools/clothes and keeping firewood stocked. have u tried the CC versions?? they do have some small flower gardens and decorations to design a homestead with. complete with fences,dogs,horses, some assortments of bushes,etc.the more mod u add the more varied u can design areas. if not look up colonial charter. they have other mods there as well.