News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod Kit and Windows 10?

Started by Maldrick, December 31, 2017, 12:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

So after months of sleeping on it, one of my New Year's resolutions is to at least have a serious look at the mod kit.  Who knows if I'll get anywhere...Everytime I read the tutorials that are around my head swims. Lol

Question...Everything I've seen regarding OS and the Mod Kit is it was built and tested under Windows 7.  Do any modders use it with Windows 10?  I ask because my main box is Windows 10 and that would be most convenient.  I do have another box running Windows 7 I can use, though, it will just require some setup.

Thanks in advance. :)
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

i personally on windows 7, but i doubt there is any problem with win10. specially if you install all required dlls from the readme htm file
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

Okay, thank you. :)

Actually, would there be any benefit from doing it on a separate box than the one I play on?  If so I'll just set up the Windows 7 PC.  It's setup, I just need to move some stuff around to make it convenient to use.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

RedKetchup

Quote from: Maldrick on December 31, 2017, 12:22:48 PM
Okay, thank you. :)

Actually, would there be any benefit from doing it on a separate box than the one I play on?  If so I'll just set up the Windows 7 PC.  It's setup, I just need to move some stuff around to make it convenient to use.

no no no , do it from your main game PC :) you need to verify and switch files over folders for your mods/tests :) dont do seperate box
make sure you dont install your kit in a folder with strange caracters or spaces

Maldrick

Okay thanks. I have multiple copies of the game so it wouldn't be a problem, is why I ask. :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Maldrick on December 31, 2017, 12:34:10 PM
Okay thanks. I have multiple copies of the game so it wouldn't be a problem, is why I ask. :)

^^ we are never enough secure ^^
i specially have 1 game folder cause i am anyways with steam and i just need to click install game from steam launcher....

but i have like 10 modkit folders LOL

Maldrick

I'm reluctant to ask what 10 folders does for you (lest my head swim already :p) but what does that do for you?  Different projects?  I'm assuming you mean 10 different instances of the mod kit?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Maldrick on December 31, 2017, 04:54:36 PM
I'm reluctant to ask what 10 folders does for you (lest my head swim already :p) but what does that do for you?  Different projects?  I'm assuming you mean 10 different instances of the mod kit?

when there are too many projects in same one.... the modkit folder get overload with folders (project folders)
also i have some very old projets/mods created with tookit 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 that havent been coverted to 1.0.7

i didnt just made one or two mods ^^

Maldrick

Gotcha.

No, you definitely didn't. :)

Thanks for answering my questions!  Not sure when I'm going to get started but I'm sure there will be more soon.  Thought about tonight but kind of itching to play another map. Lol

Happy New Year, Red. :)

Discrepancy

I use win10 now, did start on win7 :) computer died, then 8.1.... :(

win10 has been good :) . I needed to do a clean re-install of the game and video drivers before being able to get the modkit to work though. And this last modkit update along with a windows update did something again and I had to do it all over again. sometimes I have issues other times I don't.

When I started modding I was very un-organised. I now have my modkit setup in a way in which I separate my up to date mods from ones needing updates, I also try to keep logs of what i do and changes i make.
I have my modkit on the main drive C:\BanishedKit, every week when i'm modding i make a backup of it on another SSD drive i have (i got burnt before).

My suggestion is really try and get to grips with how the files interact with each other in the examples folder and the resource folder of the modkit.
I never had luck with making much sense of the tutorials either, i learned by exploring, playing and manipulating. And of course these forums - a goldmine of banished modding info :)

Maldrick

@Discrepancy

Great info, thank you.  That's the kind of thing that had me concerned beyond the kit just working under Windows 10.  Like if anything flakey would happen.

I have two identical working pcs with Windows 7 on them.  They aren't ancient, just got a bit old for playing newer games with great performance, so I built a new one in the spring, and one of them is still pretty much clean from when I loaded 7 on it.  Was thinking I could just load the drm-free version of the game on that and dedicate it to the mod kit.  Probably unnecessary but not using it for anything else so why not?

Thinking I'll probably start with your house tutorial, actually.

I'm not an artist, moddler, nor coder so who knows how far I'll get.  But I am an average or better nerd with that mild gamer OCD that gets me hell bent on figuring things out at times (and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express :P) so we'll see.  Used to do quite a bit of modding in the 90s when it was mostly editing text files and images, actually.  First time I had to 3d model something I ran screaming but I think that was due to limited software available at the time if memory serves.  It's been a bit under my craw since, so figured this game would be a good one to give it a go with again. :)

RedKetchup

Maldrick

Thanks, RK.  I certainly will.