News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Cedar Creek - Story 20

Started by Abandoned, November 13, 2017, 08:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

you cheater ,ust be nice.mine are decorations unless we make nice with the indians,in which case they shoot us with poison arrows. and then upgraded i think they become vanilla houses and barn. did they give you a longhouse too? yours do look different than mine.i hope CC does more modulars and adds to them. what the freak you going to do next? tell me you have turkeys too?LOL

Abandoned

:) no, no turkey, not even for Thanksgiving in Banished.  The other pieces are still in the set that need artifacts and upgrades.  Only the Native hut and tent added.  The timing of this modular was perfect  :), I am looking forward to the decorative pieces, especially the animals. 

brads3

sometimes,i do like to use the cats to keep rats out of my food barns. and dogs keep children safe near the streams too.

Abandoned

@brads3 just a note, the Build Monument mod is not needed, the ceremonial ground and llama are include in CC Frontier mod.  I edited my mod list again.  I added it to my map and enabled it, I have not built the ceremonial ground yet, do you know - is it save to disable it now or will it cause problems?  I have two icons for the monuments now.

brads3

since you haven't built it ,you should be able to disavle without a problem.not something i normall do. computers have minds of thier own sometimes. save the game and try it.can always go back to the other save point that did have the mod in it.

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 2

It was spring, a spiritual time of new beginning, of birth and rebirth, and of light.  The warming fire of the morning sun rises from the east and the color of the wind is red.  We began year 2 with renewed fire and energy.  A maple forestry was built in the month of the Budding Trees moon, and soon after that, the corn was planted.   

A group of 11 Chippewas from the north joined us that Spring, they had had a bad winter, their tribe was short of food.  Among them were experienced hunters, trappers, and fisherman but fish and game had been scarce up north.  We welcomed them and thanked the Great Spirit for sending them to us. 

We added 2 builders to our workforce and soon had homes built for the new arrivals.  It was not long before we had eggs and game added to our new storage sheds, along with pelts and furs.  Another trapper cabin and gatherer hut would be built in the pine forest across the bridge to the north.

New babies had been born that year and our tribes people now numbered 34.  It was good.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

This year, in the month of the Budding Trees moon, we discovered a small grove of walnut trees to the north of our main storage shed.  We could expect a harvest of nuts this year and built a small workplace below the sheltering trees to collect them. To honor our friends, the squirrels, who would share the harvest, we carved a totem as the Chippewa and Ojibwa tribes taught us to do.  Our new tribe would now be know as the Red Squirrel Clan.  The red squirrel is the sentinel of the forest.  Our friends, the squirrels, have many lessons to teach us.  Squirrels are active and playful and can teach us the balance between work and play.  They are great preparers and can teach us to balance gathering and giving, to remind us not to take too much.

We took the squirrel's appearance as a sign that it was time to examine our storage inventories.  We realized we had indeed been gathering and storing too much at a time when others had too little.  We must find a way to share our bounty.  We thanked the Great Spirit for all that he had given us and for sending the squirrels to remind us.  We built a mini trading post as a means to share our bounty with others.

We were again reminded of the needs of others when 18 Oglala Sioux from the Great Plains joined us.  They had been tracking buffalo and have traveled a great distance with no luck.  Their people were hungry, the herds have been few and far between.  They were impressed with the bountifulness of our borderland forest settlement.  We held a feast to welcome them.  They would stay with us awhile before returning someday to their own tribe.

We welcomed the new laborers, and built new huts and tents.  A totem of a red-tailed hawk was carved to remind the new arrivals from the plains to be observant and learn the ways of the forest and the fields.  A new field was prepared and next spring we would plant pumpkins.

In autumn, Arland the green grocer arrived but we had no need for more food.  Our storage sheds and crates were full and our walnut trees gave us a good harvest.  Again we gave thanks to the Great Spirit.  It was good.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

The winter had been cold and snowy.  We began year 4 with no firewood left at all.  A second woodcutter got to work over by the pine cabins.   The weather warmed nicely and by the month of the Corn Planting moon the corn was not only planted but growing vigorously as was the new field of pumpkins.

Two groups of natives from the plains joined us at this time.  One group of 7 were all that were left  of their tribe.  A wagon trader from a nearby fort brought them blankets that cold winter and shortly after most of their tribe came down with a disease unknown to the them.  They had no resistance or medicine for the deadly sickness.  The other group of 5 lost their good hunting grounds and summer camp to another large fort settlement.  They at least managed to set free the captured wild horses and sank a few well-aimed arrows into those who were violating their sacred ceremonial grounds.

We welcomed the newcomers, and more native huts and tents were built.  They were eager to learn the ways of this borderland camp.  The maple forest in the south was doing well, as was the pine forest in the north.  The harvester had gather flax and pine boughs.  We could use them to make charcoal in the new pine kiln and use the charcoal instead of firewood to process the iron ore into iron.  We needed strong iron tools.  We also needed warm coats.  We had many hides, pelts, and furs but only 1 tailor.  We built another mini workshop, the first would continue to make iron tools and the new one would make coats.

We feared the threat of unknown and incurable diseases being brought to us by traders and others.  We built a healers house near the herbalist.  When Jonniel, the hauler, arrived we traded for all the logs and firewood he had and quickly sent him on his way. With plenty of firewood and sturdy houses we would be much warmer that winter.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

By the summer of year 5, we had another trading post built and the growing season was well underway.   Summer is a time of rapid growth in nature and in the time of our lives.  The warm summer breeze comes from the south and the color of the south wind is yellow, the color of the bright summer sun.  The south wind also represents the element of water like the rain that nourishes the rapid summer growth.

The river brought 2 riverboat traders to us that summer.  Arly, the hauler, only had iron ore, coal, and some rough gemstones to trade.  He had just come from a place called North Mining Town.  He didn't have much to say and was soon on his way.  Brie, the seed merchant, spoke our native tongue.  He had just come from a settlement upriver called Meadowbrook so he had a lot of seeds with him.  He said farther south they could use some of all this summer rain we were getting, there was a serious draught down that way.  We traded for squash seeds before he went on his way.

Our maple forest to the south was growing well, but not producing as well as we had hoped.  We still had no maple sap or wild apples.  We were also concerned with the productivity of our trapper in the pine forest to the north.  So far this year there were no pelts or furs from the pine forest.  The trapper east of town was doing much better.  We decided to build another trapper station on the outskirts of the north pine forest and see if it would do any better than the one in the center of it. There were several large herds of deer in the north, hunting would be good there.

We also thought our productivity would improve if we improved our education.  Several young people missed schooling because our small classroom was full.  By winter of year 5, we had a pine schoolhouse built and Brie, the seed merchant, returned and we traded venison for bean seeds.

brads3

your apples and maple should produce good with 5-8 years of growrh. your trapper in town won't produce as well as the other. they too will find more as the trees have more time to grow.

Abandoned

Thanks @brads3 I am discovering that about maple forest, but pine forest trappers that are not in the pine forest are doing better than the one that is in it.

kid1293

I know Native Americans have had hard times all the way.
From near extinction to Hollywood.   :(

I think you do them justice by reminding us of their way of life.
It would surely be a world in more harmony if they could have lived their life in peace.

Maybe, just maybe, we can still learn and take care of our planet...

:)

Abandoned

:) Those are nice thoughts.  There's always hope.

brads3

in the forest the items have to compete with the forest items too.that was something we discussed when NECORA was developing the mod.the more different items the game has to decide what to place ,the less of each you can collect.it is a juggle to find a balance.i have not tested the newest update. i think he updates after he got back this fall with changed outputs.