News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #2: 500 Farmers

Started by solarscreen, June 10, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

You read that correctly - 500 farmers!

You pick the seed and the conditions and take as many years as needed to build your farming empire.  The challenge will end on June 30th at midnight GMT/UTC.

I have decided to sweeten the contest with a copy of Galactic Civilizations I and II on Steam for the one who has the most farmers at the end of the challenge. You have to have at least 500 but if we have multiple entries over 500, the most will win the prize and become a forum Champion! 

Yeah, I know, our first champion @Bobbi didn't get a prize but managed to get nearly 1,000 people inside a market square.  I will be glad to correct that oversight!  @Bobbi PM me and we will take care of that!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Demonocracy

Quote from: solarscreen on June 10, 2014, 06:31:56 PMThe challenge will end on June 30th at midnight GMT/UTC.

This sounds like a fun challenge!  Thank you for the extra time on it too.  I'm sure I'm a minority when it comes to time constraints, but I do appreciate it immensely.  Thank you!

slink

Here's my entry, made without working up much of a sweat.  I don't want any Steam games, so I'm hoping someone will beat my score of 522 farmers.

Bobbi

What are the parameters here for farming? Only the normally assigned farmers by the game, as in four for 15 x 15, etc? Because I discovered (had not previously noticed) when I was playing the market circle challenge that you could assign more than four, I think it was up to six, for a 15 x 15, and it was great news because the farms were so far away from the circle. But that seems like it would be cheating for a challenge like this.

RedKetchup

thats exactly what i was thinking, Bobbi.

in the other hand... can someone being able to check all farms and count all the squares every field has ? of all participants ? i dont think so.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

If it's not allowed, we need to be on our honor. And I think it should not be allowed. What say all?

slink

I'm watching with amusement.  It won't take me more than an hour to replace each of my 9x9 plots with four smaller plots at one farmer each.  The number of farmers will be the same, or slightly higher since I don't have four farmers on every 9x9 plot.

RedKetchup

Slink, we werent talking about you or anyone in particular. nobody downloaded your save (Save6.sav (10022.35 kB - downloaded 0 times.))  we were just wondering before we start doing something. and trying to know the rules, if anything setup'ed. we all know we can have a crop minimum sized and we can add some workers on it (up to 6)

personnally, myself, i m taking a new seed i didnt got before and start from begining, and i ll paint my map with just 8x8 crop (at 1 farmer each). and i ll make sure it really look like a farmer town (no downtown with hundreds of houses around a market ^^) but will try really.... rustic :)

(500x 8x8 minus the orchards)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

@RedKetchup: The good news is that an 8x8 defaults to two farmers, so you don't need to make 500 of them.  Which is good, because I seriously doubt 500 8x8 farms would fit into one map, especially a medium map.

My point was that anyone who is using 15x15 farms with six farmers can easily replace those with enough farms of the correct sizes to use the default number of farmers and still have the same amount of food and possibly more farmers.

salamander

Quote from: Bobbi on June 11, 2014, 02:55:02 PM
If it's not allowed, we need to be on our honor. And I think it should not be allowed. What say all?
Unless @solarscreen decides to be more specific for this challenge, and I'm not sure he needs to be, assigning more than 4 farmers to a farm sounds like fair game.  You can choose to go that route, or some other that works for you.

Why don't I think having more than 4 farmers on a field is unfair?  First, anyone can do it so the playing field's level.  And, second, keep in mind that having 6 farmers on a max size field doesn't increase the yield, but does give you more mouths to feed, so you're decreasing the efficiency of your farms.  It may not the be the easy solution it seems to be.

solarscreen

It doesn't matter if you want to assign 16 farmers to one field or 2 farmers to 8 fields, you still have to support more than 500 farmers on your map. 

@slink has thrown down the gauntlet early with 522 farmers but there's plenty of time to get up to 600, 800, even 1,000 farmers!

Oh and if you don't like Steam, I have GOG and GMG games as well. 

In fact I have a 4 game gift pack with Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition, Myst Masterpiece Edition, Sid Meier's Colonization, and Capitalism 2 from GOG but I need a really good challenge for that prize.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Oh, this will be a challenge! I've only recently really started using farming regularly.

ivorymalinov

@slink  Hats off to you for playing so many game years!  :o

50 years is a struggle for me as it takes about 3 "real" hours to get that far and by then I'm bored with the map.

Kaldir

50 years in 3 real hours? It takes me about 2 weeks (well, not continuously. I idle a lot   :P ). Sometimes it takes me more than an hour before I unpause the game at start.

mariesalias

I have had to start bumping up to 5x for most of the challenges, otherwise I would never get them in on time.

I am off to a stellar start though! Took me over an hour last night to find a map I was okay with. Even with the one I finally chose, in the end, I just accepted it because I was tired of starting new games and it had sheep, beans, and a grain at start (not the best seed for a farming challenge though perhaps). I started on easy since people have been saying it is harder and I wanted to try it out again. The first start I completely forgot I had seeds for years! So I restarted and started farming right away. Although easy start is annoying because I eventually have to tear down the barn and houses, I found with farming right away that it made the extra people and babies to feed mostly a non-issue.