News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Cities: Skylines

Started by graphite, September 15, 2014, 11:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: Rayden on March 06, 2015, 12:46:56 PM
My expectations are a bit higher than that @rkelly17 , I bought the deluxe version Skylines Deluxe Edition for €36,99   ;D

Ah, if only the Canadian Dollar were as high as the Euro! Since Canada has become a petro-state (a friend refers to us as a banana republic with snow instead of bananas) our currency goes up and down with the price of oil.

I thought long and hard about getting the deluxe version, but decided that I probably wouldn't be building such landmarks any time soon, so I opted for the plain. Amusement parks for the masses!

borreh1973

My expectations are a bit higher than that @rkelly17 , I bought the deluxe version Skylines Deluxe Edition for €36,99   ;D

Cities Skylines (Steam pre-purchase prices for Brazil, today)
Standart Ed.: R$ 59,99 = US$19,34 = €17,83
Deluxe Ed.: R$72,99 = US$23,52 = €21,69

People who live in countries with higher per capita incomes pay more? Why? Assuming this price here is profitable, why charging more in other countries? Taxes? I do not think this because here we do not pay taxes for breath, others pay.

Maybe not the best topic to discuss this issue. Just curious as to different values around the world. Ideas?

rkelly17

Quote from: borreh1973 on March 09, 2015, 09:25:23 AM

Cities Skylines (Steam pre-purchase prices for Brazil, today)
Standart Ed.: R$ 59,99 = US$19,34 = €17,83
Deluxe Ed.: R$72,99 = US$23,52 = €21,69

People who live in countries with higher per capita incomes pay more? Why? Assuming this price here is profitable, why charging more in other countries? Taxes? I do not think this because here we do not pay taxes for breath, others pay.

Maybe not the best topic to discuss this issue. Just curious as to different values around the world. Ideas?

Generally speaking, on Steam the price difference between USD and CAD is the exchange rate, but the difference between 19.34 USD and 32.99 CAD is more than the exchange rate. That would be more like 25 CAD. Since Paradox is European maybe the base price is in Euros?  But even at that the current exchange rate should give about 25 CAD. Hmmm. Maybe the CAD price includes HST (Harmonized Sales Tax, a federal and provincial combined sales tax and VAT). That would work out at about 33 CAD.

borreh1973

Wow. I thought only countries colonized in Spain and Portugal still have charges and taxes bizarre existing since centuries ago.
Live and learn.  :)
Always, who have any questions about Brazil, send message.  It's fun to explain diversities and adversities of this country and compare with others.
We can create a topic to show bizarre differences and beauty of where we live.

Ross Rossford

VERY excited for this game but holding off until I'm back from my vacation next week...

Rayden

My first two achievements, Pioneer (first city) and Unpopular Mayor  ::) Spent all money on roads, forget to save money for water!! :))

rkelly17

Quote from: Rayden on March 10, 2015, 06:19:40 PM
My first two achievements, Pioneer (first city) and Unpopular Mayor  ::) Spent all money on roads, forget to save money for water!! :))

Fast off the mark! Unfortunately I have a full day today and won't be able to get serious until tomorrow. Darn!

Rayden

I only spent a little over an hour yesterday, and most of the time fiddling around the map tool and importing some height data for future maps.

assobanana76

I'm starting to drool for this game ..
but I am a rookie of city-building except Banished.
anyone knows compare?
pros and cons of each other?
e.g. you can build a house at a time as in Banished?
or simply (too) draw a road and he builds an entire block ??
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

Woo Hoo! I downloaded it last night and started out. Looks like it has real possibilities.

@assobanana76, the main comparisons would be with Sim City 4 and Cities XL or XXL or however many X's they're up to now. The developers' previous efforts are Cities in Motion and Cities in Motion 2 which focus on transportation systems. Cities Skylines is the whole city building package. It is definitely better than Cities and the version of Sim City whose name will not be spoken. Not sure yet if it is the true heir to SC4, but it has potential. This kind of city builder is different from Banished. You are dealing more with macro systems than with micro systems. You set up a road network, supply utilities and services such as power and health care, and zone blocks for residential, commercial or industrial. Your little electronic minions take care of much of the micro stuff like building houses, offices and factories. In Cities Skylines you can do some specialized industry and such, but beyond that you don't have much control over precisely what gets built in the zones. Another big difference is that you start out simple and your city has to grow in order to unlock more advanced services and buildings. You also have to keep an eye on the budget so that taxes can pay for all the services and allow further expansion. You have to balance things like pollution and production and keep people happy and keep new people more moving in.

Clearly at the moment SC4 has far more variety because of the years of modding work done by many, many people like @Rayden and @Paeng (Thanks, guys!) who have given players some fantastic stuff to build cities with. If Cities Skylines attracts a similar commitment from quality modders,, then we are really off to the races.

Rayden

Thanks for the kind words @rkelly17 , thanks to BSC team from who I learned everything, I managed to accomplish a few things for the game but not very much and most on the modding side. I only managed a few bats because modeling was never my strong. Most of my work was on the technical side of modding and testing things like the CAM1 and 2. Also a few tutorials of specific tricks on building cities.
I hope this game offers the same possibilities to mod the way we managed with SC4, if so then we surely have a successor to it. Time will tell, some of the best batters from SC4 are already working on it, like Xannepan (now xave at Steam Workshop). He already made a few buildings.

borreh1973

Quote from: Rayden on March 10, 2015, 06:19:40 PM

Mee too.

Initial routine, bankruptcy, bankruptcy ... in the third try slow and sincere growth. Loans exist to solve problems, right? May be.

10 hours recorded. The game is very fun and there is no comparison with CXXL. I went through love and hatred of the population. Now we all live well. They respect me and promised not to destroy many houses while new areas to build new homes.

I don't play SC4. I played SC'13 with less than 100 hours spent. IMO Cities Skylines é better than SC'13. And CXXL should not exist. CXXL was money thrown out the window.

rkelly17

Yeah, I had to do three new cities before I got one that has taken off. I'm still not sure what I did to kill the second one--maybe adopting too many expensive policies. I'm thinking we may have some real possibilities with this game.

@borreh1973, you can still get SC4 Deluxe from places like GOG. Be careful, though. That game can consume your life!

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 12, 2015, 08:40:47 AM
Woo Hoo! I downloaded it last night and started out. Looks like it has real possibilities.

@assobanana76, the main comparisons would be with Sim City 4 and Cities XL or XXL or however many X's they're up to now. The developers' previous efforts are Cities in Motion and Cities in Motion 2 which focus on transportation systems. Cities Skylines is the whole city building package. It is definitely better than Cities and the version of Sim City whose name will not be spoken. Not sure yet if it is the true heir to SC4, but it has potential. This kind of city builder is different from Banished. You are dealing more with macro systems than with micro systems. You set up a road network, supply utilities and services such as power and health care, and zone blocks for residential, commercial or industrial. Your little electronic minions take care of much of the micro stuff like building houses, offices and factories. In Cities Skylines you can do some specialized industry and such, but beyond that you don't have much control over precisely what gets built in the zones. Another big difference is that you start out simple and your city has to grow in order to unlock more advanced services and buildings. You also have to keep an eye on the budget so that taxes can pay for all the services and allow further expansion. You have to balance things like pollution and production and keep people happy and keep new people more moving in.

Clearly at the moment SC4 has far more variety because of the years of modding work done by many, many people like @Rayden and @Paeng (Thanks, guys!) who have given players some fantastic stuff to build cities with. If Cities Skylines attracts a similar commitment from quality modders,, then we are really off to the races.
@rkelly17
I like to do things "strange" ..
so in "Banished" build villages vegans, crossing mods to try to use them in a different way from how they were conceived etc ..

from this point of view, as is placed Skyline?
e.g. I could do a metropolis vegan? I can only create crops and orchards without it creates an entire area that also contains livestock breeding?
e.g. I could do a metropolis that only uses sustainable resources?
meanwhile I saw some gameplay and I understand that the city can make "eco-sustainable" later in the game with recycling, wind turbines, solar panels etc .. you can even break away from oil? I saw that in any case the map is a limited resource and exhaustible. what happens if you consume all?

about mods .. I saw in the video presentation that modding Skyline seems to be an easy thing .. put a square and we add objects already created.
if so I might try my hand.
but my question is: If I create a vegan farmhouse what happens next?
load the mod, and when I create agricultural area the game I created the farmhouse in the place of those monsters that should be factories wheat ??

I am a newcomer to city-build if we exclude my love "Banished" .. I bought "Tropico 4" and "Anno 2070" and I've never installed, so many of my questions may be stupid ..
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

@assobanana76, in city builders like Cities: Skylines people eating is at a very abstract level. You can assume that people must be eating, but you have no idea what or when. As "mayor" you build services such as fire departments or schools, but you don't ever get down to the eating, sleeping, sex level.

Cities: Skylines works basically like Sim City: You zone for "residential," "commercial," or "industrial" and the game decides what actually to build. What Cities: Skylines adds is an "Offices" zone and the ability to create districts. You can make a district specialize in certain industries: Agriculture, Minerals, Timber or Oil. Within an agricultural district you have no control over which industries get built. There are already grain and vegetable farms and orchards in the game, but there are also animals. The game picks what to build, so even if you made 100 vegan mods, the game could build a chicken ranch and mess you up. If you designate no districts as agricultural, then no farms or food processors get built, so no ranches. In your commercial zones you might well get a grocery store or two, but you never see what they actually sell. So, you could build a city where no meat is produced, but as to whether every one of your denizens is vegan would have to be in your own imagination since import/export is part of the game. If you don't want to drill for oil or mine minerals you don't have to.

It is pretty easy to provide all renewable power: hydro, wind and solar can supply all of your electrical needs. In fact, in the beginning all you can afford is a windmill generator. You soon have to build another and another, but more sophisticated windmills and solar come along as your city grows. The biggest ecological problem is garbage. In the beginning all you can afford is a landfill and then incinerators, so garbage-related pollution is always a problem. Recycling eventually makes a percentage cut in garbage, but never fully. Also in the beginning you are pumping out raw sewage (Keep your intake up-stream from your outflow!) and even after you can build water treatment plants they pollute. The game tracks air pollution (which is mostly from industry) and noise pollution, but these are more abstract. You can plant trees, but that is not terribly effective.

Hope this helps. You might check out SC4 and the whole range of agricultural mods available for that. SC4 is available at GOG and the best mods are at Simtropolis, SC4 Devotion and Sim Peg (lots of farming options).