News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trading Post Economies

Started by solarscreen, June 21, 2014, 09:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Yeah, in my 500 farmer challenge town all I'm selling now is ale. I'm growing the cherries myself, since it is a challenge to have lots of farmers, but I could see taking the hit of orders in order to make ale to sell. I'm still not totally comfortable with auto-trade, but that town has too many ports to do it manually. I have more to learn.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 24, 2014, 09:39:53 AM
Yeah, in my 500 farmer challenge town all I'm selling now is ale. I'm growing the cherries myself, since it is a challenge to have lots of farmers, but I could see taking the hit of orders in order to make ale to sell. I'm still not totally comfortable with auto-trade, but that town has too many ports to do it manually. I have more to learn.
In my 500-farmer town, I just started setting up auto trades this morning. The first couple worked okay. Very tedious though, clicking those tiny arrows to change the priority, chasing after the commodity as it moves up or down in the list, and trying to see around the dialog box that pops up each time you hover. :o  >:(

solarscreen

Quote from: irrelevant on June 24, 2014, 09:52:04 AM
In my 500-farmer town, I just started setting up auto trades this morning. The first couple worked okay. Very tedious though, clicking those tiny arrows to change the priority, chasing after the commodity as it moves up or down in the list, and trying to see around the dialog box that pops up each time you hover. :o  >:(

That's the worst feature in this UI, the praising of purchase priorities.  Those little bitty arrows are annoying!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Wood Cutter

Every so often a trader will come in one end and out the other without stopping at a trading post. Is that normal? Also I have one trading post that does not seem to get a visit by a trader at all.  The only thing that might influence that is perhaps they don't like being right next to each other. I will have to experiment with locations and see what happens

RedKetchup

make sure your trading post open on the big main large river. some bugs about it can happend if you placed it on a lake which is deserved by the river. i remember the seed 1008 large valley. in that one a big lake is linked to the river, but if you put it there it bugs out. i had to remove it and rebuilt further South , right on the river or i would never get any merchant, they were just passing and totally ignoring it.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: solarscreen on June 25, 2014, 03:25:42 PM
Quote from: irrelevant on June 24, 2014, 09:52:04 AM

That's the worst feature in this UI, the praising of purchase priorities.  Those little bitty arrows are annoying!

Yeah, in my vegetarian town I really need to go in and change the numbers and priorities of all my trading posts (too much stone and iron) but I just can't face the tedium.  :'(

salamander

I've sort of lost track of/never understood the changes to the trading posts in the most recent updates.  When autotrading, do the trading posts honor the production limits set in the Town Hall (or at individual production buildings)?

mariesalias

@salamander  From all I've read, they do not.

salamander

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.  I guess I really don't understand why autotrading wouldn't respect the limits.  Because you have to prioritize your auto-purchases, if the limits aren't respected, it makes it difficult to get the balance of resources you might want through autotrading -- I think a trading post will always spend exported items on the top import in the list before moving down the list.  It seems only logical that the limits would have been taken into account.

Wood Cutter

Thank you redketchup. I shift one trading post further down the river and it works fine. I built another on the top lake and did  not receive one trader. I am also playing  seed 1008 a very good map in my opinion. It appears that you must have your trading posts on the main path (river) not on a lake to receive merchants. I wonder if it is only applicable to this seed

irrelevant

It is not. I built a TP on a lake (connected to the river) in my farming challenge town, no merchant ever came. I ended up demolishing it. Took me forever to get out the 500 ale that was in it. The only place ale can go is back to a tavern.

RedKetchup

it s not a 100% bug but can happends ... 99% lol j/k

yeah the 1008 map ... it s me who find it :) i ve got screwed with this TP as everyone else after me (like Solarscreen) i posted this seed on the game official forum and here... and it made all around the earth  ;D ;D ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

landgrave

...like me, I've never autotraded in the game ;)

I've figured out, that you can influence/manipulate the arrival of several traders to 'all-the-same-time-rhythm'. In my case, four TP next to another. I was bugged due to the different arrival of the traders so I've startet to manipulate. First trader came - I did nothing, he stays awhile. Time goes by and he auto-discards. Trader 2 came by, instantly set him to leave the port / follow trader 1. Same with trader 3 and 4. Next year, better luck, smaller time gap. First trader came, let him wait, the chance he's still in the port when trader 2 arrives is good. Monitor when trader 1 auto leaves (to come closer to the arrival of trader 3 and 4), instantly set trader 2 to leave then. Same with trader 3 and 4. Another year later (or two), all your traders nearly came the same time, one by one, get the game on pause, trade whatever you need, let them all go the same time and enjoy the rest of the gameyear playing banished, not managing irregular landing traders. That works right now for 190 gameyears very well, they all arrive in a row! I hope this is comprehensible, otherwise I'll try to explain it easier.

mariesalias

@landgrave  If you hold open the trade window, the trader will not leave until you close it or dismiss them. That should make it easier for you to try to sync them up.

I still have not even tried the auto-trade option. I guess I am going to have to though if I want to try to participate in the trading empire challenge!

rkelly17

I was really reluctant to auto trade, but in the vegetarian challenge I pretty much had to--too many TPs to do it manually. It turns out that it's not really as hard as I was afraid it would be. Setting it up can be irritating, since you WILL be involved with the little clickers. You can type in the number you want to buy, but you have to use the up/down arrow clickers to move the most important items into higher priority. If you do it as you build the TP it isn't as bad as doing a bunch at once. Of course, if you change your priorities you have to do it all over again.

One big issue for me is that the auto trade deals in general categories, not specific items. Stone is stone, obviously, but you can't buy only wool or only leather, you have to buy "textiles." You can't buy only nuts (cheapest protein), you have to buy "proteins." Etc. You also can't tell your traders, "No, you foolish people, don't trade firewood to food merchants; they only give you 3 credits." If it's in inventory they'll sell it to whomever. I'm not sure how they decide what to sell first. That's one reason I only stock ale to sell after I have all the seeds I want (seed merchants are apparently teetotalers).

So, after you get a certain number of TPs, trying to trade manually will make you crazy, so auto-trading is the option. It's not so bad.

Except when I forget to change the thing at the top of the window that tells the traders when to trade from "Never" to "When the merchant arrives." Then it doesn't work so well.